President Obama officially signs Defense Bill of 2012

Discussion in 'Politics' started by HankMoody, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Well America...we had a good run. 1776-2011 :eek:

Obama signs defense bill despite 'reservations' - US news - msnbc.com

"President Barack Obama signed a wide-ranging defense bill into law Saturday despite having "serious reservations" about provisions that regulate the detention, interrogation and prosecution of suspected terrorists.

The bill also applies penalties against Iran's central bank in an effort to hamper Tehran's ability to fund its nuclear enrichment program. The Obama administration is looking to soften the impact of those penalties because of concerns that they could lead to a spike in global oil prices or cause economic hardship on U.S. allies that import petroleum from Iran.

In a statement accompanying his signature, the president chastised some lawmakers for what he contended was their attempts to use the bill to restrict the ability of counterterrorism officials to protect the country.
    Administration officials said Obama was only signing the measure because Congress made minimally acceptable changes that no longer challenged the president's terrorism-fighting ability.

"Moving forward, my administration will interpret and implement the provisions described below in a manner that best preserves the flexibility on which our safety depends and upholds the values on which this country was founded," Obama said in the signing statement.

Signing statements allow presidents to raise constitutional objections to circumvent Congress' intent. During his campaign for the White House, Obama criticized President George W. Bush's use of signing statements and promised to make his application of the tool more transparent."

2. at least he's not a racist, right Hank?

3. Signing statement on indefinite detention for americans:

"My administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens," Obama said in the signing statement. "Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a nation."

4. below the belt.

5. :laughing:

6. they always sign these things on holidays or on weekends when no one watches the news..

7. 1776 - 1861

1776 - 1913

1776 - 1933

1776 - 1971

1776 - 2001

1776 - 2011

8. 1776-1985-1955-2015-1885

9. I hope you all have a wonderful new years eve. Its all about to get very real.

I need a drink....

10. Focus on the timing. He signs it New Years Eve. There is something very sinister about this president...

11. Right? Makes you sick to your stomach.

12. I was praying and I'm not a religious person really, that they wouldn't do anything to New York. A fake terrorist attack in time square would be the perfect excuse to test out this new tool of the Military Industrial Complex. January 1st 2012 Martial Law day one. But these guys are slow and methodical they don't rush things, they have slowly moved the US to fascism for the past 100 years they can wait a little longer.

13. gee too bad his administration won't be around to interpret this law for long

14. Dude!
    maybe there isn't a conspiracy under every bush, behind every politician.

15. And maybe the Democratic Party is not made up of Angels and Saints dalars. Its hard to take advice from someone that is completely blind to any atrocity as long as it's done by a "progressive." Who would condemn one person because they are a Republican for militarism but refuses to condemn a Democrat for the same crimes. If you weren't blinded by partisanship then maybe just maybe I'd think your opinion on the issue would be worth something.

16. Happy 1984 guys!

17. I just saw my first Homeland Security commercial !

"See something , Say something !"

I feel safer already ! Warm and cozy inside !

:D

:hello:

18. [​IMG]

19. first day of where i can be detained indefinitely ...!!!