Preserving the fruits of your labor

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by doinYoda, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Preserving and storing the fruits and vegetables that you put a great amount of time and care into growing has many benefits. There is nothing that compares to the taste of sauces, jams, soup stocks (the list goes on) made from scratch, using wholesome ingredients that are preserved to maintain the flavor and integrity of your hard work. You have the satisfaction of knowing how the produce was grown, when it was picked, and how it was 'processed', to say the least. Not to mention the savings on your grocery bill. ;)

As with anything to do with food preservation, you want to make sure that you follow certain 'safety guidelines'. You can find reliable information on the internet, in books on canning, dehydrating, freezing from a local library, you can purchase them or maybe you already own them.

Here are a few online sources to consult and familiarize yourself with food safety and preservation methods whether or not you are new to preserving foods. You can also consult your State Cooperative Extension for food preservation guidelines.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/blog/home_canning.html

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/usda/INTRO%20section%20Home%20Can.pdf

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/uga/using_press_canners.html

http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes.aspx

It is important that you know the acidity of the fruits and vegetables that you're working with. Higher acid foods like tomatoes can generally be canned in a water bath canner (see the recipe for Basic Tomato Sauce on Ball's website). However, low acid foods like green beans need to be processed using a pressure canner. Whatever the case may be, it is important to follow the directions of the recipe that you're using, especially when it comes to how it should be processed.

Disclaimer: By no means am I an expert at food preservation, nor do I claim to be. I'm sharing information readily available from reputable sources.

What do you do with the fresh fruits and vegetables from your garden?

2. My first year of gardening I planted 6 tomato plants. I could not give the extra away fast enough.

I'm looking forward to canning next year.

Do you think it is ok to add herbs that are not dried?

Hi bob! :wave: It sounds like your tomatoes did really well. :cool:

Yes, it is ok to use fresh herbs, instead of dried. Keep in mind that you'll need 2 to 3 times more fresh herbs, than the amount of dried herbs called for in a recipe.

4. I spent last Monday with my mom and dad canning peaches.. Lot of work but well worth it.. :yummy:

• Like Like x 1
    High Bender! :wave:

Peaches :yummy:!!!!! Definitely worth it. :cool:

Just finished canning a batch of salsa. 

canned salsa.jpg

Next up, green beans. :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  6. That's sweet, yeah benderbob and i spent today canning pears. Was pretty Interesting, so he's wiped and getting high :p

Hi Dina_X :wave:

Cool! :) It's always nice to have help / company when spending the day canning. :cool:

Part of my canning extravaganza yesterday.
    canned beans.jpg

8. Anyone use a dehydrator out there?

OP, what do you do your canning in?

Still pretty new to the game of growing and canning but we have a canner and dehydrator :D

Hey M3DICIN3MAN420 :wave:

Very nice! :cool: What do you like to use the dehydrator for?
    I have a dehydrator. :) This season I've done a batch of beef jerky, some green, red, orange and yellow peppers, as well as herbs. 

Have you used your canner yet? What kind of canner do you have?
    I have a pressure canner, and a water bath canner. Canned salsa in the water bath, and the green beans in the pressure canner. :smoke:

10. :wave: heya doin! Great idea for a thread. I'll finally be able to get my own garden up and running next year, so I've been wondering about these sort of things!

I should probably get drying/ canning weed down pat first :laughing:

High GT! :wave:

Thanks. :) I hope you enjoy your garden next year as much as I enjoy my garden. :hello:

:laughing: If you ask me, it's easier to dry and can fruit and vegetables, than it is to dry and can weed. :p 

12. Both were purchased for unmentionables :D haha.
    I have a pressure canner 23qt I think.

I think I'll try making some venison jerky this fall!

13. Don't forget about fermentation. 

Kale-kraut :yummy:

14. #14 StayLowGrows, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2013
    I have a ton of Kale constantly growing that I've been eating on 2-3 times a week this whole year.
    Could you explain this please? I'd like to lick my eyeballs off too :) I'll google as well of course, but experience beats read knowledge to me.

EDIT: Green kraut eh? No shortage of search results. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of making kraut this year. Kale has been my staple. Collards and cabbage are coming up. Thankfully in planters (easy to move).

OP: I know of some people who will buy foods from the grocery store (ham even) when at a good deal to can. Since prices are probably going up, this is something we're about to start doing as well. Can food from the store. Buy in bulk.

Yeah, "kale-kraut" is really good. It takes a bit of getting used to, but kale is a brassica, just like cabbage, so it ferments easy. 

I just make it the same way as sauerkraut. Clean and cut the kale. Cover with a tablespoon and a half of sea salt. Work it with your hands for a bit to work out some juices, then shove it in a mason jar/fermenting vessel. Wait about 7-10 days. 

Look up "fermenting vegetables with sandor katz" on youtube. He's the guru. 

16. Yes to this!!!!!

17. Loving this new thread that I've found! Can't wait the share all of my bulk baking, seed storing, sprouting and gardening pic! Here's a little pre view of my chia seed "carpet" :)

Sent from my P771A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

18. http://qr.ai/q2gl0 weatherproof seed storage

19. yes! Totally going to try this.

Kale coming out of our ears :p

20. So nice to see people sharing info / knowledge, ideas, etc.... :cool:

MustardPlug, thanks for the reminder about fermentation. It's something that I've really just started getting into. Several months ago I started with making homemade Greek Yogurt. It's something I do every week, best yogurt I've ever had. :yummy:

My next fermenting project is Apple Cider Vinegar. I just put everything together for my first batch of ACV today. We'll see how it goes. ;)

The past few weeks I've been pretty busy with the garden, cooking, making test batch recipes for canning, canning, and the list goes on. I won't can a recipe until I've had a chance to give it a worthy taste test. 

Last weekend, I made a big batch of tomato sauce and used it to make spaghetti sauce. The sauce was a combination of tom's that I had just picked and tom's that I had cored, quartered and frozen a week or two before. (Amish Paste, San Marzano, Big Boy, Mountain Princess & Glacier tomatoes)

Preserving Tom Sauce.jpg

Thankfully I have a Roma Sauce-maker to separate the pulp from skin / seeds, when making sauce(s). Having Yoda's help makes it a whole lot easier too! :smoke:

Preserving Roma Sauce-maker.jpg

We went to the Apple Orchard last week. I got a bushel of Cortland and Golden Delicious apples for pie filling, apple sauce, and apple butter.

Preserving bushel apples.jpg

Today I made a batch of cinnamon apple sauce & canned 8 pints, plus another 2 pints that I stuck in the fridge. 

Preserving Apple Sauce.jpg

My first batch of Apple Cider Vinegar (I hope), made using the peels and cores of some of the apples that went into apple sauce. The apple mixture is set in a cool, dark place, covered with kitchen towels. It will stay like that for the next week, before moving onto the next step in the process.

Preserving ACV.jpg

Thai Red Chili's in the dehydrator, which we'll be using to make thai chili powder, so we can make Pad Thai without having to order the chili powder. 

Thai red chili's dehydrator.jpg

So there you have it; some of what I've been up to lately. :bongin:

Hope everyone is doing well, and enjoying the fruits of their labor as much as I am mine. :wave: