Prescribed psychotropic drugs

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by ArcticCamel, Oct 30, 2013.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDlH9sV0lHU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgCpa1RlSdQ

I believe adhd is a made up disorder, and that if it is real, prescribing amphetamines (sometimes to very young children) to treat it is idiotic and reckless, not to mention very very profitable. 

I also believe that instead of prescribing pills to treat depression, people should figure out why they're depressed and try to change that. the chemical inbalance theory isn't proven and in my humble opinion, complete bullshit. 

I'm really just strongly against psychiatry in general. 

what are your opinions on this matter grasscity?

2. It's not my opinion, but you are breaking the rulez

not discussing the pharmaceuticals themselves or their effects, just the practice of prescribing them 

if I'm breaking the rules for starting a debate on a topic that effects a lot of people in pandora's box, then so be it, delete the thread or take whatever action needs to be taken. I think it's unnecessary though
    "Discussion of other drugs including pharmaceuticals, supplements and ‘legal' herbs used as intoxicants. Note: Cannabis, caffeine, alcohol and tobacco can be freely discussed."
    seems to be more targeted at discussing using these things as intoxicants, not at the this type of thread. But I'm not a mod so do what you will. 

4. No, it's a little misleading, but the "used as intoxicants" refers to the supplemental and "legal" herbs, it doesn't refer back to the original subject: discussion of other drugs. Basically, it means no discussion of drugs besides the ones listed.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Ya I don't think we can even talk about aspirin :laughing:

6. i agree with everything you said in the OP, although i do believe there are some real mental disorders (schizophrenia for example) so i wouldnt say psychiatry is total bullshit......but the field is largely closed and narrow minded, with an affinity for making money.

7. I don't know if the original poster watches frontline, but there was a very good documentary about over prescribing ADD medication to little kids. I think there is a large group of parents that are irresponsible and don't want their kids jumping on the couch so they give them zombie pills and the kids brains turn into mashed potatoes. Anything that a pill can cure, your mind can cure it better. Because what does medication really help you with. You have this problem and it goes away with medication. Okay cool but what happens when you don't have the medication anymore? You just have that same problem times four because it is a crutch. I have been through some rough anxiety/panic attacks and what I can say is never let a psychiatrist decide what's best for you because I conquered those fears on my own. It is human nature to be fearful sometimes.

8. All I know is I got prescribed Lithium for anxiety/depression when I was younger and I felt so awful I couldn't even get out of bed I honestly felt like I got ran over. Pulled myself off of that be cause it could have given my child a terrible birth defect if I were to get pregnant. Then I started to withdrawal from it, ugh, smoked a joint and my anxiety disappeared. Never will I put myself through anything like that ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum