Prescott's Grow the Third (Afghan Kush Ryder)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by prescott44, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Today, I received my Afghan Kush Ryder seed from The Single Seed Centre and I just started the germination process. I am also running a temp test in my grow case with a jug of solid ice, two 45 watt cfls, and one 10 watt cfl right now. I expect the seed to have germinated by Sunday and I will then plant it directly into the pot.

Right now, I am planning on running the plant under a 20/4 light cycle through the whole grow. Off hours will be from 12:00pm to 4:00pm as those are the hottest hours of the day even though we are slowly entering fall here in the south with outside temps running from low 80's to high 90's most days. Indoor temps are currently between 72F and 75F.

Check back for more as I will post results of temp test later as well as any changes I make in setting up the grow. Damn I'm excited.

For my first grow journal as well as pics of my grow case go to: http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-g...-first-grow-northern-lights.html#post13684136

For my second grow journal, go to: http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-g...otts-second-grow-easy-ryder.html#post14897757

2. Subba Dubbed. This will be fun to watch.

3. Just checked on the seed and saw that the shell has just opened up the slightest and that a small root tip is sticking out. I am going to let it grow out a bit more and plant it into the soil later today. This is definitely a good weekend to party.

4. Okay, planted the seed in the soil and got a ziplock bag taped over the pot to act as a humidity dome. Right now, the lights will be on 24/0 till the plant breaks soil level then I switch to 20/4.

5. good plan. Can't wait to see it sprout in the next few days.

6. Actually, she just sprouted today. The seed casing just fell off not too long ago. Bout to shower and go to the store for groceries so I will kick this grow journal off when I get back with the first official daily update.

7. DAY 1

She sprouted today and she already has some tiny baby leaves.

Temps are holding in 73F to 75F currently. I am able to use frozen water jugs to keep temps down this grow since my new roommates don't store a lot of food in the freezer. With a 20/4 light cycle, a single jug is lasting me about 5 hours though I only have 3 currently so the ice is freezing all the way when it comes time to switch out containers.

With this grow I don't plan on having to leave my plant for an extended periods of time except maybe for a weekend in October and my parents or other family won't be visiting me at all during this grow season. I can finally have an uninterrupted grow session.

For the next two weeks, I will only be feeding her water. I will begin nute feedings the first week of October which is probably when I will start LST as well.

I anticipate that harvest will either occur before or after Thanksgiving.

Attached Files:

8. And the cycle begins again.

9. DAY 4

More vertical height growth today and leaf growth over the past couple of days.

I finally have four gallon sized container for ice; one is a pitcher and the other three are washed out milk and water jugs with the tops cut off. Plenty of ice and I've found that I've been replacing them long before the water turns room temperature and in quite a few cases, with chunks of ice still in them. I've been having fun throwing these ice chunks off my second story balcony onto the parking lot below.

Temperatures are currently at 70F though they did beak at 79F this morning around 10am because I slept in late. Cold front moving in and fall is finally hitting here and it shows with how cold it gets inside.

I'm thinking with these four containers of ice that when it comes time to switch to my flowering CFL's I will use four or maybe even five bulbs as I only have 23watt 6500 CFL's. I only used three in the last stages of the flowering cycle in my last grow and would like to be at 115watts this time instead of 89watts to get better buds. I will be monitoring how well these ice jugs hold up.

Attached Files:

10. This winter might be the only winter I've ever looked forward to only because I'm hoping for cooler cabinet temps :D

You're keeping that light as close as you can aren't you? Its starting to look kind of stretched imo.

11. Yeah, I'm keeping the light pretty close though I am trying to get it to stretch quite a bit right now so I can do LST the end of next week. I won't be moving it any further away from the lights next couple of days as I want it to get as much as height as possible during the vegging cycle.

12. DAY 7

More continued vertical height growth and leaf growth. Its hard to see in these pictures but she is working on four more tiny leaves between the two sets on her right now.

Been feeding her with just water as of now, next week will be water as well and I will introduce nutes in the third week for sure. I've only been giving her water out of shot glasses and just gave her two shots a few minutes ago.

Temps are between 71F and 73F with lows in 68F if its really cold at night with all these storms and cold fronts moving in this past week and highs at 77F if I'm a little late in changing the ice out. Ice containers are still working beautifully.

Attached Files:

13. that ice is working like a charm. Looking good and healthy.

14. DAY 14

More great growth this past week. This is the final day of week 2. Nice healthy odor can be detected when opening the closet where the case is. I've been feeding about 3 or 4 shots of water every day when the lights come on.

Attached Files:

15. Looking great brother. Keep doing what you're doing

16. DAY 17

I began LST after my post on Sunday. Results are looking good so far I think. This is my first time doing LST.

I did trim two leaves after completing LST adjustments today. One of the leaves was a big one on the bottom and was in an awkward twisted crumpled mess under the bend in the stem so I trimmed that off because it would have definitely gotten nute burned if I kept it on during the nute feedings that will start next week I've decided. I then trimmed off one more tiny leaf near the top of the plant. It was very small yet cast a shadow over the bud sites. I probably should have taken a picture of what it looked like before but so much for foresight. With this tiny fan leaf off, more light can get to the budsites.

I know some people don't trim leaves. I've trimmed a few off in the late stages of flowering during my last grow and it was fine. I just took off two fan leaves so there would be increased sunlight exposure. I believe this will be fine and won't make the plant take a turn for the worse. I did leave a little bit of the stem on the leaf I trimmed on the top as one of my strings for LST is using it as an divider between the string and another potential budsite.

Temperatures are running fine. I fed her six shots of water this evening.

I will be out of town at my parents, leaving Thursday afternoon and returning Sunday evening. I will am planning and will be testing this tomorrow, to take out one of the 45watt cfls and the 10watt cfl. That should keep the temperature comfortable and I will also be giving her a good watering on Thursday as well. With a good watering and comfortable temp on the same light schedule, I am sure that she will be fine on her own during that time I will be gone.

This is her third week and based on my research into this strain, she will switch to flowering next week. I am expecting a growth spurt and I will be seeing how long I can stretch her LST.

Attached Files:

17. Thats a great job on the lst. Just keep tying her down where you need her to go, you're the boss.

18. DAY 22

Got back today and glad to see that everything worked out. She is still very healthy and going into flowering now. I am expecting a growth spurt next week and a half and will continue to LST as needed.

Mixed a half strength nute solution of my Fox Farm nutrients. Gave her five oz of regular distilled water and five oz of nute solution. I will be feeding nutes with every other feeding.

Switched out bulbs and put in four 23watt 2700k CFLs. Temperatures are holding in 72 to 73 range right now with ice.

Attached Files:

19. Looks perfect, those stems look really strong too.

20. Oh my god, they are. Those pictures are pretty terrible as I was very tired when I updated this journal last night. I'm going to wait about a week till the next update so there is a noticeable difference in the pictures and so the stems can grow above the fan leaves. I'm actually going to tie her down a bit more and try to get some of the stems in the dark out of it without doing any trimming or very little at all.

But first I am going to roll a blunt as my dealer left his house keys at his parents last night and I am digging Borderlands 2 a lot right now. So much fun to play stoned and I just want to smoke a blunt while playing so I don't have to pause the game to use my pipe or bong. Jesus Christ, I am high right now.