Pres candidate OMalley booed for saying all lives matter - then apologizes?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SlowMo, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Democratic presidential candidate and former Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley was booed for saying “black lives matter, white lives matter, all lives matter” at the Netroots Nation conference on Saturday and later apologized for those comments. Apparently it was the "white lives matter" and "all lives matter" part that they disagreed with. He later apologized!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Article: Gov O'Malley booed for saying ‘white lives matter, all lives matter,' apologizes

At 36:25 into the video, O'Malley was finally able to answer a question about what he would do about police misconduct. After O'Malley said, [relevant remarks around 39:20] “Every life matters. And that is why this issue is so important. Black lives matter, white lives matter, all lives matter,” the crowd booed and shouted at him.

Political correctness has now been transformed into blatant racism and lifted to the level of the absurd. Now all good "progressive" [[​IMG]] Democrats have to apologize for saying things like ""every life matters" or "all lives matter" or "white lives matter" presumably due to the Left's newfound hatred for the white race as their all purpose, new and improved strawman-scapegoat-vote-getter. And they have the audacity to call their opponents racist! Unbelievable.

And O'Malley apologized!!! That's the real kicker. Apologized for what. pray tell??? I'll tell you what he apologized for. He apologized for NOT BEING RACIST ENOUGH!! You can't make this shit up!

Once again we see just how far into the land of loony these idiots have gone - and just how pathetically blind and tolerant to their own racist nonsense they've become.

2. Fuck liberals. Fuck conservatives. Fuck commies. Fuck capitalists. Fuck the left and the right. Fuck religion and atheism. Fuck all races, nations and ideas

Sent from my phone

3. Its kinda sad that after all our progress, balck people are becoming the racist ones

And the media isn't helping with intentional segregation such as all black.nbc

-yuri
    fuck the world

-yuri

4. It's both sad and alarming. That such a powerful political ideology could somehow be coerced into adopting such extremely blatant racist principles into their private code of political correctness should be a wake up call as to just how fucking out there this bunch of wackos has gotten. This is a 21st century American presidential candidate that has to say he's sorry for saying "black lives matter, white lives matter, all lives matter". [​IMG] We ALL better start to think about what that implies.

I don't care what the context, when you get vigorously booed and then feel you have to apologize for including whites in the "lives that matter" category, then you better wake the fuck up to what your ideology has become.

5. It annoys me that the black lives matter campaign has taken off. Some of the things they fight for like institutional biases such as the fact that there are generally longer sentences for blacks among other things are definitely a real issue. For example my brother was caught selling two ounces and he ended up getting pre trial intervention which basically means a parole lite and you pay a bunch of money to get it expunged from your record with no jail time and he was a white kid. My brother told me of at least two other kids who both didn't receive pti for almost identical charges of selling around 1-2 ounces. As far as we come there are still real subconscious biases that lead to more minorities ending up in jail than whites at a somewhat disproportionate rate. A large part of this disproportionality is the confounding variable of poverty but I think it is unrealistic to say that racism and even classism hasn't played a role in the massive disparities in certain areas of those incarcerated.

Another perfect example of this subconscious bias was a study I heard about on PBS Frontline. It was about one of the more questionable branches of forensic science I think like bite marks identification or something along those lines which hasn't been well vetted but has been used successfully to convict many people. If I'm remembering correctly basically they sent identical results to be analyzed by the doctors of a different case that same doctor had worked on except they put different bios for the exact same patient. This was usually about 6 months to a year after the doctor had analyzed those same results. There was a shocking number, like something I believe between 60-70 percent of the doctors in this field finding the exact opposite of what they had previously testified to in court even though the results they analyzed had not been changed in any way. The only thing that had been changed was the information about the patients race. They found that both being black or Hispanic made you more likely to be convicted even if the result or evidence against you was the exact same. To me, I believe that most interactions that happen do not pertain to race and I rarely think it's a dominating factor in a jury or cops decision. I do however believe that in many cases there is a subconscious bias where a black person will be treated differently than a white person would be.

Ultimately, however I think the blacklivesmatter blows things out of context and will jump on the unarmed dead black teen ban wagon before investigating whether or not the shooting was justified, which is annoying and scummy , but not surprising from a fringe radical group. This is why I want a group that addresses these issues in a more realistic manner where we can recognize that there are cultural biases and some subconscious racism can still exist but at the same time not every shooting of a black teen is a racist attack on black civilians. That being said its hard to justify the treatment of Tamir Rice, Walter Scott, or Eric Garner to name a few although I think it's hard to judge how much race/police incompetence and arrogance contributes to what happened to them. Then you look at what the DOJ found in places like Baltimore and Ferguson and it's hard not think there may be some degree of institutional racism in those areas of the justice department.

That being said I dislike that the black lives matter community doesn't embrace the larger idea of police brutality as an issue because it is a major contributing factor if not a bigger one than subconscious/occasionally conscious racism to the massive incarceration of all people including African Americans. I think there message would be much more viable if they were willing to embrace the larger idea of police brutality and come up with a less divisive name/agenda. From, a moral standpoint it bothers me a little that they are using backwards logic like you have pointed out to validate that police violence should be solved pertaining to African Americans first and that the two issues are separate. I think from a both a political standpoint of turning off other groups with their extreme positions, and booing shit like what Omalley said is kind of silly and will lead to people having an even more negative view than they already do about them. I can't imagine that many civil rights leaders would take offense to what O'malley said as he was trying to say it doesn't matter what race you are we should fight for justice. The most reasonable solution their problem is to fight massive incarceration in general which will lead to less African Americans in prison. What do they want race quotas in prison, cause I can't think of any other way to solve the issue that doesn't tackle the criminal justice system in general ? Ultimately I think the truth lies somewhere in between this narrative of "there is absolutely no institutional racism we have a black president" that is sold by Fox News and "the government and businesses are uber racists hell bent on keeping the black men oppressed," that is spread by MSNBC and sometimes CNN at least when it is a hot topic. I mean when was the last time you heard of a black teen getting shot. It's not like it stopped happening but our media stopped giving a shit because police violence faded out of the public eye like illegal immigration will start to fade out as soon as Donald Trump goes away and stops barking about immigrants.

6. They probly were not booing "white lives matter" so much as the principle.

If you were a big fan of the "black lives matter" slogan, it doesn't mean you believe white lives don't matter. But when you hear "white lives matter, all lives matter" its.obviously a play on your slogan. And its easy to see how people can get offended. People are fragile.

-yuri

7. that's racist.

8. I like this one. As a pro choice person I can piggy back off this argument.

9. it is

-yuri

10. Apologizing?
    Hahaha
    Fuck that.

11. The black lives matter thing is turning into some elitist bullshit. He literally said all lives matter. Then apologized because African Americans didn't get a shot out?

Can't tell what's worse, the part of the African American community who think they're "starting a revolution" or white people feeding the fire.
    Plus, don't ever say shit you might be taking back.

12. Do only certain black lives matter?

Because there is an epidemic of black on black violence everyday that never gets mentioned.
    How odd.

13. Apologizing for speaking the truth...

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

14. Tht was immature-what I meant to say is tht black ppl in low income areas have bigger problems than cops. Im referring to the gangster culture which is doing a lot more harm than discrimination is

I dont live in the land of the incarcerated and greedy (nooffense) so i dunno but it does seem liek a lot of ppl use the race card to justify their unproductive lives

then again proverty breeds poverty

Sent from my phone

15. There is an obvious anti-white sentiment being fanned across the land. Call it desire for payback, karma, evening the score, revolution, whatever floats your boat. The fact remains that it's just another, grander incarnation of the scapegoat principle.

As a power strategy, it's easier and more effective to rally support and garner power be creating animosity through blame, division, and strife than it is by seeking to enhance personal responsibility and social cohesion. The Nazis were masters at drumming up large scale political support by cleverly eliciting negative emotional ethnic/racial/political reactions to the Jews (and others) as they successfully painted them, through their politically correct propaganda mechanisms, as the evil sources of nearly all of Germany's problems. Sound familiar?

When the forces that drive apart are greater than the forces that bind together, that which was bound together dissolves. It's as true in sociology as it is in chemistry. Political ideologies which continually seek to cause people to resent and hate each other for gain of power are evil and they only serve to bring harm to ALL in the end. And I don't care which extremes of the political spectrum do it. End of story.

16. I'm just gonna assume it isn't racism and is just a general hatred for the human species in general. "All lives matter? Think of the fucking animals you heartless prick!"

17. I love this post

Sent from my phone

18. As much as I agree with this statement and I think black leaders should do more to address this I don't think it's a fair thing to say that both issues can't be addressed or that one is inherently more important. In society there will always be criminals and people who wrong others. There is only so much law enforcement and laws themselves can do to stop this black on black violence that you and others refer to. There are certain steps they can take, but at the end of the day gang culture is a very hard problem to solve unless you address the larger issues of poverty, toxic cultural surrounding, and ignorance. I do however think that police officers should be held a higher standard than citizens which is why I don't think it's a fair thing to say why aren't they concerned with black on black violence.

Why can't African Americans be concerned over both issues when they are being affected by both? It's kind of like when people will use the argument in politics of we should focus on this first because it is more important. I think it's a silly argument, unless maybe pertaining to national defense, because if it is a problem is worth solving, as police violence is, then it shouldn't be sidelined simply because of another issues unless the solution will cause more problems in another sphere. I understand the idea that they should be just as outraged at the other violence but I think that's ignoring the context of the situation. People in gangs are always gonna kill each other to a certain extent and there probably aren't as many direct policies we can enact to stop this problem as police officers mistreating the populace. In addition, we don't expect police officers to mistreat the civilian population, but we do expect criminals to do so which is why comparing the two forms of violence is misleading. People are so fixed on the cases of officer shootings that they forget about the thousands of other abuses that happen to people of all races that don't involve being shot. As much as I dislike the tone of the black lives matter movement I don't think we should disregard their ideas completely.

19. #19 marth6789, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
    Violent crimes are down all over the country especially from the levels they were in during the 80's/90's.
    People talk about 'black on black' crime all the time(you should really call it crime). People like you always try to hold to this rhetoric to try and make a point but if you seriously just read a couple of articles you would realize that community efforts are strong in high crime areas to stop violence and crime. It always gets mentioned but never reported by big news channels. Anything pointing black people in a positive light doesn't get reported on. America is a coutnry that is always at war: with drugs, crime, terrorists, etc if the american people do not have an enemy in mind then one is created.

20. Made me sick, he knows he needs the black vote if he has any chance, which he really doesnt against Hillary, but stand up for whats right.