Prepping.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Mr Info, Dec 9, 2011.

1. #21 Elem3nt17, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2011
    Now that I think about it I should definitely grab some ganja seeds. I have like hundreds but they are just bag seeds ive collected over the years. If shit goes down I will just quit smoking tobacco. Having wrecked lungs wont bode well in a survival of the fittest situation.

I also forgot to mention I have two uncles who both own significant amounts of farmland, so I would imagine I would end up there eventually. I'm more worried about lawlessness, getting shot on the highway or something by some crazy nihilist douche bags. Lots of crazy assholes up here, and there's no shortage of shotguns and hunting rifles that's for sure.

There's plenty of good books that cover most of those things. They also come in .pdf format if you catch my drift. Arrrrrr matey.

2. Yeah, in the very beginning I was thinking weed seeds would be a very valuable bartering tool. However if big government chomps down even harder than now, then people might be scared of trading for them...

3. IMO 2012 is real. Too many people DGAF about the planet and expect nothing to happen. Too bad I wont have my gf. [​IMG]

4. [quote name='"Leafin"']IMO 2012 is real. Too many people DGAF about the planet and expect nothing to happen. Too bad I wont have my gf. [/quote]

The last part confused me lol. Huh?

5. I mean theoretically I suppose it makes some sense. 6th "day" of creation of the earth would end then." The seventh day god rested. It's got some creditably.

Not saying the world is ending, just saying something may happen. Bad, or maybe even good.

6. we broke up [​IMG]

7. I know some people who collect barrels for that. I guess I'm not really worried about the water going bad, since it's water and you can sterilize it, it just gets stagnant and it'll taste like whatever you keep it in. Then you end up wanting to find another source than have to drink the nasty water and that defeats its purpose. I wonder if the liners in food grade barrels leech anything into water over time. I see most people keeping rainwater in normal 55 gallon plastic drums and I wonder if that's going to cause problems too.

8. Im buying $20,000 worth of physical gold soon.

If I ever see things really going to shit, then Ill go stock up on staple foods and survival items.

(EG. Dried beans, potatoes, nuts/seeds, dried rice, vitamin pills, canned foods, knives, possibly a gun, lighters, warm clothes, things to filter rain water, bottled water, tinder/kindling/wood, gas, entertainment, etc.) I already have most of that crap, and a generator.

Me and a few people could drive out into a extremely rural area, and live out of are cars while we wait for the shitstorm to ease up.

Honestly, I doubt anything that bad will happen. But I always like to be better safe then sorry.

I take Max Keisers warnings seriously. He's a very intelligent guy, and has made countless correct predictions.

9. In a world where food, water and shelter are the most important things for survival, why the fuck would you want a bunch of worthless gold weighing you down?

10. #30 Solipsist NPC, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2011
    Because if Max Keiser is right. Then the US dollar will be near worthless, but physical gold will still be extremely valuable, and much more valuable then it was before the US dollar crashed.

I could potentially make a extreme amount of profit from that gold once we start to stabilize.

(gold is also a universally accepted currency, I could go to another country and use that if I really wanted to. But if Keiser's prediction is correct, then US cash would be worthless in other countries, so the key would be trading in cash for gold before the shit hits the fan.)

11. Yeah, he's right. If and when the economy crashes, you may use gold or silver to barter. Because no one will want paper money. But everyone still loves gold and silver! I myself am getting into silver, but I can't buy to much on the account of being broke.

12. arming myself with weapons and learning to use em.

13. I really hope that when shit hits the fan, people don't have this kind of mentality. That will just make the situation much, much worse. We can actually work together and have a better chance of surviving. I truly hope that people will come together with their local towns/communities and decide to work together, instead of thinking that it's every man for himself.

14. actually, when shit hits the fan, the natural system will win out. when the population thins out, odds of survival increase dramatically. i just wish we hadnt fucked out rivers up.

15. Buy a gravity fed water purifier, something like this.

The Crown Berkey Water Filter System for Large Groups

Boil the water then pour it through the filter once or twice depending on how many cartridges you have installed. That will clean pretty much the dirtiest of water sources, not 100% but safe enough for human consumption.

16. Got my bug out bag sitting in my closet all ready to go. I normally keep a good amount of supplies stocked up but I need to collect some more. If the shit ever does hit the fan I plan to bug in for as long as possible. People used to think all of this was all unnecessary until the flood hit Nashville a while back. Nothing ever happened per say but it felt good to be stocked on food and water while people rushed to the store for things. Its unlikely that I will ever need what I have but in the case of natural disasters it makes sense to stock up.

17. /\
    Right on man. What you keep in your bag? I need ideas.

18. I cant stress enough how much clean water should be your number one priority. You can survive a long time without much food, you will die within days without fresh drinking water, and you need alot of it. Buy a gravity fed water purifier or start stocking up on 5gallon jugs, or pick up large water bladder for your basement and start filling it up slowly. Especially if you live in the arid regions where a rainwater basin will not be reliable enough.

19. Yeah I just bought a gravity fed water purifier, its been awhile and its still not here... It's got me worried... Also, I want to build a decent rain barrel system, but I cannot seem to find barrels in the city/suburbs.. Only in really country places.

20. Just basic things really. I have the old large allice pack.
    Small fishing kit
    First aid kit
    Sleeping bag
    Sleeping mat
    tarp(for shelter)
    Water purification system
    Three days worth of food(keep in mind this is last resort)
    Para cord
    TP
    compass
    an extra knife and multi tool
    Maps
    and just other miscilanious things.

I really want to invest in a solar charger and a few other things. This is just in my pack, I also have a harness that has a small bag and two canteens with room for more.