Preparing for tomorrow's round of golf...

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by GGrass, Jul 12, 2010.

1. I'm playing golf tomorrow. It'll be at a new course. I've never played there before, and it's a mountainous course... It'll be fun.

I'm mentally preparing myself for tomorrow's round. I'll be playing against my nemesis. We play once every year. And for about 5 years, he's beaten me EVERYTIME we played together. He holds a perfect record at kicking my ass.

But I don't think that should be the case.

I think it's about time I kick his ass for a change.

I'm better than I was last year... I think...

----

I need to concentrate on playing the course, not the opponent.

Since it'll be a course I've never played before, I should play accordingly. I must listen to caddy's advise, and I must study the course carefully, before choosing my shots.

In a way, it'll be a good thing that I'm playing the new course, because it'll force me to concentrate on the course, not the opponent.

And the opponent would be doing the same thing... He will be sweating his balls just to find the fairway and avoid the bunkers....

So it'll be a true test of golfing skill...

I think tonight is going to be a sleepless night.

2. I love playing golf. I'm usually in the 80's.

Just make good contact with the ball and don't over swing.
    Before you hit, note the areas of "safe miss". This is where you want the ball to land should you miss the green or fairway.

Find your hot club. It's usually like a 9 iron, but for some reason mines a 6 iron.
    Find your hot distance. It's usually 100-120 yards, I'm soild back to 150

So if your hot distance to flag is 100-120 yard, find the club that gets you there every time. Like the 9 iron.

You should check out golfnow. I can find 18 holes and driving card for 20 bucks every day of the week.

3. Good advises!

However, a bit too late... I've already screwed up the round...

Played terrible yesterday... or was it two days ago?

The tee off time was 7:00 AM, and the golf course was 200 km from my house!!

I woke up at 5:00 AM, which was one hour later than I planned... I drove like crazy to the course and I barely made it on tee time...

You can't play good golf when you do that...

Managed to stay under 100, and I feel very lucky about that... Usually I hit in the mid 80's... that round was the worst this year...

No need to mention, I got my ass kicked, once again... I guess I'll have to try again next year.

4. Haha god damn.

5. Rory McIlroy leads the Open with 9 under 63 at St. Andrews!

But that's not the amazing part. The amazing part is John Daly is at second place with 66!

It's only the first round, but still... I am so happy for John Daly... Hope he wins this one.

6. #6 moose420, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010
    Went and played a round today shot an 88 which normally i'd be happy with but it was actually a very dissapointing 88 cause my putting was absolutely horrible. I was hitting fairways and greens all day (my irons were as good as they've ever been) but i couldn't make putts for shit. I don't know how many times i got on in regulation and 3 putted for a bogey but it was a lot...very very frustrating but thats what i get for not playing for 8 months and just getting back into playing 3 weeks ago, i have no feel for putting anymore and it's wayy to boring to go and practice hahaha.

With the way i was hitting the ball today i should of been around an 82-83 not an 88 :mad:...frustrating friggin game haha

7. I love playing golf, but I can never just sit in front of the tv watching golf. I enjoy seeing who is in the lead for the current tournament and such, but I find watching golf insanely monotonous haha.

8. I feel your frustration... Two on, three putt for a bogey... and your playing partner gets it on on three and one putt for a par... so annoying...

9. Last Saturday, I played again, but this time, a 5-some. (Last time it was like a match play.)

Shot 42-37... a 79... lowest record... I shot 79 once before, but a year ago.

Made long par putts... Like you said, two on, but a very far from the pin... the approach shot wasn't so accurate. I was grinding it, so to speak... trying to get the 'lag' putt to stick near the pin was pretty exhausting... and even with my best effort, I still had 6-9 footer for par...

A good round it was...

10. I love watching golf on TV... but I understand where you're coming from.. I also used to think people who watched golf on TV was crazy or something... how can you stand that shit? So boring...

But these days, I watched it on TV so much, I can actually read the greens on the TV.

I can tell immediately after the golfer putts, whether it's going in, or not. I can even tell if it's a push or a pull...

Makes you learn a lot, actually...

11. #11 Drivenone, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
    Glad you had fun anyways. I get in the 90's once in a while. Mainly when I play a course for the 1st time.

-----------------------------------

I was going to play golf today but I decided to place a 30.00 in bets on today's baseball games. 7 5 dollar parlays. My reasoning was that I could spend 30 bucks on golf and have fun or spent 30 bucks gambling with a chance to win 1000's. Maybe I'll golf next week.

They are all parlays ranging from 6 teams and a win of $265.00 and 12 teams and a win of $11336.00. I am betting over and under.

Just waiting for football season...

12. Just finished another round of golf and yet another 88...putting was better today is just the front 9 i had 2 triple bogeys which hurt me bad, but the back nine i shot a 41 to make sure i got under 90. If i could of just avoided those 2 blow up holes it could of been a very nice round.

Whats crazy though is i took 8 months off from playing golf and before i stopped playing my goal was always to break 90 but i had only done it about 4 or 5 times in all my years of golfin. Now i come back after not swinging a club for 8 months and i haven't shot over a 90 yet in 5 rounds and my swing feels better than it ever has haha....what a weird ass game.

13. Sometimes the BEST way to improve your game is taking breaks...

But 8 months without lifting a club... is a bit too long of a break...

TWO triple in half a round is NOT good... but you were still able to climb your way back up and not go over 90... that is good...

14. #14 moose420, Jul 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2010

Yea i hear ya...the first triple was on the first hole though and i hadn't warmed up cause it was busy and they rushed us out there. My 2nd shot was right of the green but i knew it was in play and that it didn't reach the road so i spent like 2 minutes looking for it in the rough but we had a group on our ass so i just dropped a ball and played cause i didn't want to spend to much time looking for and back everything up. Then i proceeded to knock it back and forth over the green twice cause i was rushing like a moron and picked my head up both times...just a baddd first hole that i wish i could take back lol.

As far as the 8 month break, i had lost my swing completely, i mean it was god awful and embarrasing so i stopped playing and just hadn't even really though about playing until 2 months ago when i picked up a golf club and took a few swings with it and my swing felt really good actually and it was a completely noticeable difference from when i stopped playing just in the way i felt swinging the club. So i was like what the hell why not go out and play a round and see if my swing is back...i went out and shot 87, so now i'm hooked again and have gone every week since hahaha.

My putting had been killing my score though since i started playing, cause with the way i'm swinging i should be 85 or below consistently if it wasn't for my putting. But today my putting was halfway decent it was just those two big numbers i put up that hurt my score, the rest of the holes i played really well and it shows since i shot 41 on the back. I didn't hit any birdie putts but i hit a lot of important par and bogey putts in the 4-5 foot range which i had been missing a lot of.

15. You sound like a real golfer... :hello:

Hey, interested in one of my golf theory? It's about how to improve your golf... the theory is called '5 F's of golf'

(I'm going to post it even if you say you don't want to hear it... :D)

16. Hahaha suree why not i'm down to hear your theory!! you have me curious now :smoking:

17. The 5 F's in golf... are...

Form
    Feel
    Focus
    Fintess
    Fun

With these 5 F's, you can make the "5F Graph"

The below is an example of 5F graph.

[​IMG]

In this example, the golfer has good form, good feel, excellent focus and great fitness, but doesn't know how to have fun with the game...

A good golfer would make a perfect pentagon. Not necessarily a BIG pentagon, but a perfect pentagon. It may be small, but all 5 sides are balanced.

While a bad golfer would make a crooked, or unbalanced pentagon, like the example above.

You need to evaluate yourself, on each F... and connect the tips of the pentagon and see if your pentagon looks balanced or not.

18. What does each F mean? How do you know how good/bad your each F is?

1. FORM

Without going into too much detail, a good form means your shots don't go sideways... it means even if you miss the target, you only miss it by a bit. With good form, you won't slice it WAY to the right or hook it WAY to the left... (assuming your right handed) so if your missing your target WAY too sideways, you need to work on your form.

2. FEEL

If you have good feel, your distance will be perfect.

3. FOCUS

If you have good focus, your ball striking will be clean. No thin or thick shots.

4. FITNESS

If you have good fitness, you won't suffer at the later holes...

5. FUN

If you know how to have fun with golf, you won't get frustrated or hot tempered.

19. I like it!! It's a very simple theory but it's one that is probably very effective in evaluating what you need to work on to become a better golfer and from what i learned in golf is you run into problems when you make the game more complicated then it needs to be.

Thats why i think i'm soo much better now then i was just before i stopped playing. Before i stopped playing i was overthinking my swing and trying to make crazy changes to it because i was playing so bad. Now that i started playing again i'm keeping it simple and taking nice smooth natural swings and i'm not worrying or thinking about anything mechanically and its working out very well.

The part about fun, is when your playing really bad theres just no way to make it fun. But when your playing well its the most fun and addicting game in the world haha.

20. FUN, for example...

Being embarrassed for completely miss hitting the ball on your first tee... or hurrying shots because there are people behind you... or being angry coz the guys in front are playing slowly...

Things like that...

Or getting mad at yourself for missing a 2 foot putt... or getting frustrated at not being able to get out of the bunker with your first attempt...