Preparations for first grow, a lighting question.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by GrowFan420, Feb 6, 2013.

1. I'm preparing for my first grow, writing everything down so I can start making the purchases, but I'm still unsure about lighting. The growing room itself is gonna be a closest about 60x60x90cm, with more possible space but would prefer it to stay within that. Right now I'm leaning toward CFL just cause its cheaper and seems like a better choice when not dealing with like 200W+ or whatever.

What I had in mind was something alike:

2x TCP 48942-65K - 42 Watt - CFL
    4x Energy Miser FE-IISB-23W-65K - 23 Watt CFL Light Bulb

2x 40 Watt Compact Fluorescent CFL 2700K Warm White
    4x Energy Miser FE-US-23W-27 - (4 Pack) 23 Watt CFL Light Bulb

I would use 6 of them at a time, generating about 12000 lumen, also should I look into some sort of ventilation system if using this?

Also I'm only planning to have 1 plant at a time possible two, the closest I'm using is a lot bigger so its open to expansions later but that's for time to tell.

Is there something I'm missing in regards to lighting, is this the best choice or should I be looking into other light systems? I do have a "low" budget so I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible but as efficient as possible at the same time.

Thanks for reading.

2. Those 23-26 watters are the bulbs i was planning on using for my 1st grow too.

Something that i noticed however is that the 4/$6 2700k ones do not have the 'energy star' seal.

That seal means that the bulbs are required to output their rated lumens for so many hours before fading, along with some other stuff. Something to that effect.

Im gonna chance it on the cheap ones without the seal since the specs are so good and they are only $1.50 ea. Too bad they dont have any 6500k's at that price.