Prep for a PC grow box, help very much appreciated

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by lbronjames234, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Alright, now before I start I know that I'm going to get some criticism for a lot of the questions I'm about to ask, but yes I have read pretty much every thread on here regarding PC grow boxes and I honestly still am stumped as to exactly what I need and how to go about doing it. I'm planning on doing this in my college dorm room (my roommate recently moved out, and it is too late in the semester for them to give me another so I won't have to worry about any questions) and the PC case that I plan on using is about 24" if I'm remembering correctly (it is at my house, I haven't seen it in a while so its my best guess. I'm going home to get it this weekend).

My main questions are:
    1. What supplies will I need to pull this off? (the cheaper the better, but I don't want to sacrifice too much quality)
    2. How would I set the interior up to its maximum potential?
    3. Generally, is there anything else that I should know?

The strains that I'm using (all feminized) are:
    1 KC Brains Northern Lights Special
    1 Nirvana AK48
    1 Nirvana White Widow

I greatly appreciate any and all help that I get regarding this, please help <3

2. No offense buddy, but it sounds like you have a lot more reading and research to do. I know you have the materials to build a grow box, but there's more things u need than space, an empty pc and some seeds. There are a lot more critical things that you need that can cost extra $$. PH meter, nutes, good soil, etc...

Have you ever grown before?

3. What I'm doing (as I'm just starting the same thing) is taking an old, fairly large pc case, measuring 18"x8"x22", stripping everything from inside (which is quite a pain. eventually had to beat the shit out of it with a hammer) taking the fan from the side of the case, stripping the wire, and rigging it into an old AC adapter, so taht it can plug into a power strip.

A full list of materials:
    Container. Im not sure how big, cuz no one has ever stated, which is rediculous!
    Grow medium. This can be soil, your hydroponic system, whatever.
    Seeds, which you have.
    Get your lights. Im using three 6500K CFL with one 2500K CFL hooked into a Y adapter, fit into the power strip. THIS IS NOT THE POWER SUPPLY OF THE PC. BIG DIFFERENCE.
    Gonna need nutes, and a PH tester. Pickup some red and blue litmus paper if you wanna be uber cheap.

Read up on low stress training to maximize harvest in a small container.

Gonna need fans.

Gonna need your mylar for coating teh inside.

Any other questions?

4. The pot in my pc grow is 1.5 gallons. rectangular tupperware tub

5. alllright hi hello welcome to micro growing, so start off, your strains arnt you selected arnt going to do so well in a pc case especially the widow which can grow up to 20ft. the northern lights will do fine, not sure about the ak48 it might be possible but ak48 and ak47 smell terrible so if your growing in a doorm room then tsk tsk good luck. Ohk. my first pc box i spent about 30 bucks total. here is what you need. at least 3 soft white (2700k) 27 watt compact flourescent lights more are better, 4+ square feet of mylar (an interesting tip, since mylar isnt the easiest substance to come by, I collected all of my chips/corn nuts bags or any bag that when you look on the inside its all silver, anyways instead of throwing them away, neatly open them so the shiny stuff is on the outside, do a quick rinse with a sponge and you have yourself great reflective material/mylar) a pc case, at least one pc fan (will most likely come with the pc case) soil nutes ect theres alot of threds on them. you can buy a pc tower for about 10 bucks at a thrift store or old recyclabe computer parts store, make sure its at least 6 inches wide (you can use a cardboard box instead) now gut your pc case so that nothing at all is inside it, be sure not to break the cover and also harvest the pc fan inside of the tower. hot glue your mylar on all possible walls of the pc box. hook up the pc fan and hook your compact flourescent lights (cfls) into your growbox using whatever method pleases you.