Pregnancy, weed & antidepressants

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by JPsyhchonaut, May 7, 2019.

1. Dont hate...
    My wife is pregnant. She was diagnosed with pregnancy related depression. The doctors want her on antidepressants, but I am afraid of what that will do to her and the baby.

Is it safe for a pregnant woman to smoke on l low level? As opposed to antidepressants.

Note: She does not smoke. She never has. She has never even so much as sniffee a bud. She knows I smoke, but she wont go near it... ‍♂️

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. I'm not a doctor, but doctors I have spoken to do not recommended it. There has not been enough studies on the effects of THC on developing fetus. Because of the way THC affects the brain functions in adults I do not think that would be a good idea for a entirely new developing brain. Studies on young adult brains who were frequent users of Cannabis have shown changes to the brain compared to other young adults who had not consumed cannabis.

Studies have shown simple exercise such a 15-20 minute walk can increase dopamine levels. Also getting outside and getting some fresh air also increased O2 levels in the blood which lead to increased energy and alertness. Lastly and most importantly if the depression is serious enough to be of concern to you that your doctors think anti-depressants are needed I STRONGLY suggest she look for a board certified Therapist who specializes in pregnancy. They may seem expensive, but almost all of them will adjust their fees if financial issues are the limiting issue.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. That is what I was thinking. I'm just scared to death of antidepressants.

4. Neither.

Find natural ways to deal with this issue. There are special yoga classes, meditation, acupuncture and other techniques, such as deep breathing that will be effective and not harm your wife or baby.
    Nutritional approach is extremely important.

But you must dedicate 100% of time and effort to see it through. Together. There's no other priority.

I can't believe doctors would be ignorant enough to put a pregnant woman on antidepressants.

5. My wife used low doses for morning sickness and depression. My kid, is a mean little shit but she runs rings around her school friends both socially and intellectually. My 2cents

6. Pregnant women smoking always seem trashy and selfish rather its weed or cigs. Give the child the best chance at a healthy start in life and don't smoke.