Preferred Cloning order of Operations

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by A guy, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Hello folks,

I'm in the early stages of planning my first clone job for the outdoor season and was hoping to learn from your experiences. I'm working with 5 regular seeds, which just popped through the soil last night.

My plan is to hand these clones out to family and friends and, while it's early yet here in Oregon, I'd like to give myself and those folks a rough timeline for when they can expect to need their beds ready and be able to plant.

Do you prefer to force the showing of sex (via lighting) then clone the females or do you prefer to clone, track plant by ID, then keep those clones from original plants that turn out to be female later?

I think I've got enough info on cutting and caring for clones, I'm just looking for pros and cons of different timing/order of operation of cloning. Please only respond if you have experience that leads you to recommend one way or another.

Thank you much

2. What strain are you working with? Or are they bag seeds? Some strains might show sex around week 4 of veg without changing the light cycle, while others take much longer.

If you want to clone for sex, I would suggest veg your plants for 4-6 weeks then take cuttings from each plant and force them to flower. Don't forget to track which plant each cutting came from. Once you know which cutting are male, you can discard the male parents and cuttings.

As far as a timeline. Your looking at 4-6 weeks until you can take your fist cuttings to sex. Then 2-3 weeks to root and sex the cuttings. Then add another two weeks for your second round of cuttings to veg. So that will be about two to three months until you can pass out clones.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the thorough answer. These are Purple Peyote seeds from CannaBiogen.

CannaBiogen - Semillas de Primera Calidad/Premium Quality Seeds

Ya, the more I look into timing the more I think I probably won't have time to hand out clones for this outdoor season. Basically my best bet will be to clone just to sex then share the female(s). Maybe I'll take some clones from the females later as I'm considering setting up a separate veg tent. I'm already set for my garden, I'm just trying to share the genetic wealth with friends and family.

• Like Like x 1