Predicting yield

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Beninator, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Hey GC!
    I'm hopefully soon going to start a grow in a diy box. The box dimensions will be about: W:30" H:27" D:20". I know it's not possible to predict precisely, since it depends on the grower and probably some other shit. But what do you guys reckon the maximum yield in that space could be?

2. Look at micro journals... Thats almost exactly the size of my box I've used to start seedling and clones. I personaly wouldn't even consider flowering in somthing that small after seeing what hapens, holy shit. Ventilation would be a bitch in a light tight box thet small if you wanted to cram in enough light for it to be worthwhile to me. Put a 2-3 gal pot in your box and see what it leaves you for lights, fans, and green. If you have the time/money to piss away optimizing it over a few tries...

3. its not possible to predict yield

4. It's posible to predict anything, give or take... Hes just missing quite a few variables. Predict might have been a poor choice of words but we all had to look at wether we'll get back what we put in.

5. it is just as possible to predict yield as it is to know the length of that arbitrary piece of string :)

6. would just need a huge database with varying variables to predict such and then it still might be off by a little

7. Assuming that your lighting took up no more than 6 inches of your headspace, and that your container were 20x30 inches and no more than 4 inches tall (like a cat litter pan) that would leave you 17 inches in which to grow and flower a plant. You could plant one plant, LST it with stakes to take up the whole box, and grow out 10-15 single colas of about 2 grams apiece. I've done it. That is if you grow. If you have never grown, you will probably try 3-4 times before you get anything to actually flower and live that long. When you do first succeed, you probably won't get much past 5 grams total....but it's a start!

8. Not quite, kid "I'm gonna grow a plant how much I gets?" then no.
    I'll be growing a clone lst'd the same next year and I will be able to predict yeild based on square feet give or take (magin of error) and measure improvement. Yes. He is working with a small box, hehe, hehe,.

9. different story if you have experience with a mother taking clones off her, you get some idea that way, but this is a seed, too many variables

10. impossible to determine. you and i could grow same plant, same soil, same light, same everything and have a different yield.

There are literally a thousand different variables.

Focus on the grow..good grow good yield, crappy grow practices crappy yield.

11. It's not imposible to come up with a educated solid ballpark guess for anything bigger cross section better acuracy. Yes under the same basic contitions you will see a variance from a thousand other variable and the chaos theory (Murphy's law) but how big a variance? In a micro cab. small fuck ups could make a big difernce to a small quantity (big variance), in a large SOG they know about what they're gonna get if theres no large or unforseen problems(small variance they hope). I smoke 1-2lb a year and I read up on here first to see if that was even posible, ignorant in hindsight. Can you predict yeild of an unknown plant in unknown conditions, absolutly not. Should a guy keep records and details to compare year after year weighing changes vs results? I'm new to growing with but any other jobs/hobbies thats how I've improved and optimized. For the OP whos feeling left out at this point 0-4oz way closer to zero your first go;)

12. I would disagree as some plants naturally produce less buds then others of the same kind its alot down to genetics and theres no way of telling which one is going to produce less thc or bud . and if you were to top the plants other plants would react to it badly and others good so there's no way of predicting how much a plant will yield .. and hes new to growing by the sounds of it so he wont do everything perfectly like monitoring temperatures and humidity ect which will greatly effect your yield but that said you could probably get an accurate estimate on a large number of plants grown professionally but its alot of luck too that you might just get the right number
    but i still think it would be impossible to predict the yield down to even an ounce or two

13. Firat off I don't subscribe to the idea of luck "luck", probabilities are abosulte fact, period. Can you prdict aproximatly (+/- a QP) based on his dimensions? He might get nothing and if everything went perfect might fit 4oz in there. variance or tolerances are are what I was pointing out when somone says flatly no to wheter you can predict yeild, or be struck by lightning or whatever. You can predict somthing/anything but with how much acuracy? I'm almost sorry I was a smartass and turned an ignorant poorly worded reacuring question into a math discusion, I work in the saftey industry and use colected data to "perdict" if things will break and hurt/kill people, it works. The reason it work is because we work off of worst case and add a saftey factor, the oposite of sales math. I think what OP meant was Is it worth it to grow your own dope? Yes. Is a micro cab. a good way to start? No. Sorry for the hijack, missunderstanding, etc.

14. Agreed. Another L brained freak like me!

15. And withoiut L brained freaks we'd still have our oposible digit up our colective noses looking for "gold" with the coconut and rock just sitting there... I like box but not being in boxes;)