pre flower sexing

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by cuts47, Jan 13, 2011.

1. I have heard conflicting reports about determining sex before the flower period.

I was told i could take a clone from the plant and put it in 12/12 and it would show sex in a week or 2.

then someone told me that wouldn't work because they wont show sex until they take root. which can take a month.

so my question is.. is there anyway to determine sex before switching to 12\12?

2. #2 mills69, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2011
    yea you need to root it so it grows, then you can put it into flower to determin sex

& yes you can sometimes tell sex before flowering, but id say its not allways pratical for example some of my strains will start to show sex in veg, once they fully mature from seed, at about 4-5 weeks, but ive found this to be very dependant on strain- not all do it

3. thanks mils69 im on day 36. end of week 5. i hope mine show before i start 12/12

4. thats cool mate, like i mentioned it dont always happern, for me its only showed on my white widows from seed at 5-ish weeks & 6-ish weeks when i used to grow a blueberry strain, but many others ive grown havent done this, so dont rely on it lol, anyway good luck hope it shows soon

5. thanks man. its cool i guess i will just cross the bridge when it gets here. I do plan to take clones maybe next week so hopefully those will root and show me what im working with.

6. id think it will show sex quite quick after switching to 12/12, being 5 weeks old, you may be able to start switch to 12/12 find out sex then takes clones but only really within the first couple weeks of 12/12 & its not ideal, some may dissagree but its been fine for me, basiclly what im saying is you can take clones from a plant thats only in its first couple weeks of flower

7. @5 weeks you should be getting pre flowers pretty soon.

BUT!! If you want to do the cutting and the 12/12 thing, it DOES NOT have to be rooted and you can find out for yourself.

Take a cutting(s), label well so you know who came from what and stick it in a glass/cup of water. Cut the stem again, underwater to make sure you don't get an embolism. Put these under a 12/12 cycle.

The cuttings will survive long enough in the water (2 weeks+) to show sex and that's all you need from them. The light doesn't need to be strong, just so there's a definite 12/12. Don't expect them to root or anything, just show sex.

It's easy enough to check out, give it a shot and see for yourself.

Wet

8. Take a sample to a lab and have them analyze the DNA... lol, thats gotta be possible right?:smoke:

9. allright wetdog im gonna give it a try maybe this weekend. Thanks!

10. my mistake, didnt work out for me when i experimented, musta been me that f**ked up lol