Pre First Grow Questions.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by livelacrosse, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Whats up all? I am wanting to start growing my own crop, but first I was hoping I could get some of these answers answered first. Now I know enough to use the search function before asking questions, but I could not find the answers to my questions... so here I am :wave:

Here is my situation/ background. I just started smoking in about May, that's when my *little* sister smoked me out and opened my eyes to everything I was missing. I have always wanted to grow Giggle Grass tho. Ever since 8th grade(Sophomore in college now) when my best friends first started to experiment with weed. Over the years I have picked up a thing or two about growing. Then I stumbled upon this site one day while looking for a new piece. I immediately became a member and began reading anything that had to do with growing. One of post I read was talking about a stealth grow PC box. I looked it up online and now; myself and my two best mates are going to throw in and were going to buy it. This is the model were going to buy: PC Grow Box- Flower Box Low Stress Training.

The case will be kept at my house as my rents are more likely to not freak out about it. They know I smoke, I flat out told them I did... then asked if they wanted to hit my bubbler with me. So if they find the case with the babies inside(which they wont) it wont be a big deal. Enough with my rambling though, time for the questions.

The case I am looking at comes with
    Four 26w 2700k CFL bulbs. Should I buy 4 more better bulbs, or will these do a good job?

How tall will the plants get? I will be using the LST method to grow, but the case is 21" so is that how tall the plants will get?

Will I have to re-plant or will I be good thru the whole grow from start to finish in the same pots? And what size pots should I use in the case?

The site says "PC Micro Grow Stealth Box; Complete System for Growing Plants in a Computer Case" Does that mean I can veg and flower in the case?

Kinda random questions and I apologize for being all over the place. Any answers help tho.

2. use lowryder strains they're tiny lil plants just for your set up

3. Would I be able to grow Strawberry Cough or KC-45 in my case?

4. you could probably manage those strains if you LST, FIM, and be completely evil to them.

evil is good for you and even better for them LOL

5. To be honest, that is way to much money for a cfl grow. Were it me, I would just build my own for far far cheaper. That being said, don't expect to grow more than 2 plants in there to completion. 7 plants? Where do they come up with this marketing bullshit? Hell, 2 plants would still be pushing it.

My current setup is as follows:

1x 30 gallon rubbermaid storage tub (25$ brand new, I salvaged one from my closet)
    2x 4 inch 12vdc brushless fans from Radioshack (20$ each)
    1x emergency blanket (1.50$ walmart)
    1x 4 pack of 8" by 11" activated carbon replacement air filters (10$, walmart)
    1x 4 pack of 26w daylight spectrum CFLs (less than 10$, walmart)
    2x Clamp Lamp cords (7$ each, walmart)
    1x circulation fan (found at thrift store, 3$)
    4x Y light socket adaptors (2$ each, walmart)
    1x 100pack of brass screw hooks (3$ish, walmart)

That's about 101$ dollars or cheaper to build your own box, which has much more space than a computer case. I'll see if I can get a pic posted later. Construction was super easy, cut two holes for the fans, a hole for electric cables, covered the inside of the box with the emergency blanket, then mounted the fans. Oh I did forget to mention earlier that I got a 12v ac to dc power supply to power the fans. That cost 20$ so now we're at 121$ish. My box has everything that case does at less than half the cost and almost twice the space.

Ok, I don't have a LST shelf, I just drilled holes in the 2 gallon bucket I'm using and I tie them down with twine.

You may notice I said I got 2 clamp lamps. When I switch to flowering I'm going to add a 42w warm white bulb to the mix along with a deodorizing cfl for added security. I also have a UVB floro tube that will be added when I get a second timer to control it seperatly from the other lights.

I also have a digital thermometer and humidity gauge (hygrometer?) In there. All in all I've probably spent a little over 200$ on this current grow of mine, including soil, and ferts. The only problem I've had so far has been lightproofing, which I solved by covering the entire outside of the box in aluminum tape.

One last thing if you're still reading this post, take a look around the grow journal and grow room design sections of the forum before you make this purchase. SPECIFICALLY look at PC case grows, a lot of people have problems with space, but some have interesting solutions.

6. Thanks Version! That sounds like it would work pretty well. How about the smell tho, will people still be able to smell the plants?

7. I'm still in veg so my girl isn't smelling yet. I'm sure - won't smell her tho. I have a square of carbon filter over the back of each fan which also help block most of the light. When I switch to flowering I will add the deoderizing bulb and I'm confident it will handle everything the filters miss.

I'm only growing 1 plant, but it is pretty big. 8 1/2 weeks of veg, the main stem is over 1 1/2 foot long with some side branches at 6 to 8 inches long, all LSTed down of course. I'm not sure of the strain, I had a really good sack that had one seed in it. I figured it probably hermied a little so the seed would most likely be female. At 7 weeks 3 days I saw my first preflower and a little white hair sticking out of it, so my hunch was right. I'm going to keep vegging until I start getting 1 leaf nodes then I'll put it into flower.

It's just a soil grow, I have a 2 gallon pot I'm using. I went really simple with my nutes, Shults plant food 10-15-10 and Super Thrive. I could definitly get some better but this is my first grow in a little over two years, and I'm starting from scratch. Eventually my plan is to turn this box into a mother box and build a small aero closet for myself. Aero is so easy to build, all you need is pvc pipe and fittings.

8. That sounds so awesome! Once i get paid on Friday I'll most likely go out and buy the parts and start on my own!