Pre-employment drug test?

Discussion in 'General' started by dcf2205, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Not sure if this is the right area but it doesn't really apply to smoking itself so here goes..

I just got a job 2 months ago with a credit card company.. I work as a programmer (sort of.. QA engineer). Upon applying for the job, I noticed on the bottom of the application that there were pre-employment drug tests. I am not sure anymore if it was required or subject to, but I definitely know the pre-employment drug testing phrase was there.

I applied, and got the job. Good deal, I haven't smoked in 4 months (2 at that point). I was anticipating getting a job and took the steps to make sure I was clean just in case. 2 months roll by, and there has not been any mention of any drug test, nor if I am subjected to one. I asked for my offer letter that I signed (along with other paperwork.. NDA, etc.) and there is no mention of drug testing.

I am under a 3-month trial/new employee period, so I am not sure if I should be expecting a test in a month. What should I expect? I obviously can't just walk up and ask, but still.

I should be able to do whatever I want in my own house on my own time, but if I got more into it, I'd just be preaching to the choir :).

Any advice? I really want to start toking up again, and I don't want to lose this job, because it pays well and I can't afford my new place without it!

2. wait another month, then toke.

3. I'd figure by two months in you'd have found out from other employees or new friends at the company if there's a test during or after the probationary period.

But if you're still unsure, I'd wait another month. No sense in losing your job.

4. keep toking.

buy a whizzinator.

wear it to work everyday.

5. From what I can tell, everyone that I work with/near is as straight as can be (except alcohol). Almost everyone seems to be late 20s-mid 30s and clean from what I can tell.

No sense in losing my job is totally right.