Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Pre-Employment Drug Screen Question

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by random_stranger007, Jul 9, 2019.

1. #1 random_stranger007, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Hello all,

I recently have accepted a job offer in the field of engineering - with a local firm and I have a 10 panel pre-employment drug screen coming up in mid-late August. The only issue is that I do not know what kind of drug screen it will be and was wondering if there were any clues to go off of based on their substance policy.

There is not really much in this document I was given other than "Testing will be minimally conducted in accordance with the Department of Health and Human Services “Mandatory Guidelines for Federal Workplace Drug Testing Programs” as currently set forth." I have no issue with a UA, I am just worried of a hair follicle examination. As of now, this is what I am expecting as the terms are kind of murky.

Also, I am located in the US in a state where marijuana is not legal [recreational or medical]. I am hoping someone in a similar career path has past experience with this as well. Any and all input is welcome, thanks.

2. Depends on the individual usage. Last date of use. Amount.
    It'll be a full panel screen for all the commonly abused drugs.
    Up
    Down
    Sidewise
    In
    Out
    And yes they'll screen for Cannabis.
    We've seen people fail at 90 days so....
    Most testing is still blood and or urine based.

Buy a few home test kits and see what it shows. Dollar Tree and the like even have them now.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  3. Some companies use follicle i guess it depends on the liablity they forsee like some otr truck companies do it but iv had dot jobs for local cities that do urine. Hard to be 100% you should study for both :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for the feedback.

I know exactly which substances they will test for, I was just curious if the norm was still blood and urine. I wish they wouldve just told me which kind of drug screen it is, but I'm guessing I wont find out until the time comes.

I've always been a pretty moderate dabber (5-6 a week), but not as much as of late as I had a bad snowboarding accident early this year.
    I'm 5'11, 160 lbs with 15% body fat.
    Last smoke was over the weekend, not much at all. Before that I would say a couple dabs a week since May. Now that I know this is coming up I've quit, so I know I'll be A-Okay for a urine test but hair I'm a little worried about. I definitely don't want to do some of the insane hair detoxing regimens I've read about here so I think if I buzz my hair here soon I should be fine in 7 weeks (hopefully).

thanks again

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. If there is any industrial work with this position you will most likely be put into the DISA system with a hair test. I had a hair exam for a engineering firm who does random UA every 3 months. Hair is usually cut at 1.5 inches which on average shows 90 previous days of use. Body hair grows as a slower rate which shows longer than 90 days. I took no chances and shaved my entire body except for the hair on top my head. Best of luck