Praying Mantis

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Dizzy, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Do Any Else Think They 1 Of The Coolest Insects Ever? I Do An I Heard They Are A Good Luck Too.

~Toni~

• Like Like x 4
  2. Anytime I come across a mantis egg sack I take it home for the garden. I love them but the way they turn their head to look at you freaks me out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Praying Mantis' and Walking Sticks are both two of my favorite bugs. Great for your garden and dragon flies are also, they'll wipe out a yard full of mosquitoes. upload_2023-3-29_19-12-47.jpeg

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. You Save Them Then? How Many Babies Ina Egg Sack? I Like How They Can Fly Too An Some Are Pink!

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ya I Love Walking Sticks Too Great Picture Duft! An I Love Dragon Flies Too...Are Praying Mantis An Dragon Flies Sort Of Related?

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  6. Not really but they are great for your yard and garden. My kids loved to collect them in the parks and release them in our yard when they were little... Teach kids not to be afraid of bugs... :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. That's Awesome To Hear Your Kids Do That. I Love Insects An Arachnids Too An I Teach My Kids To Not Kill Them If They Can Help It.

~Toni~

8. I personally don't care for spiders. If they are outside I leave them alone cause they're good for my garden but if they're inside, I catch them and release them outdoors. Where I lived overseas we had these ginormous yellow and green banana spiders the size of a BIG hand that could (and would) jump 4-5 feet from the wall ON YOU. Talk about scaring the crap out of you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1

9. Well Atleast You Don Kill Them Atleast. I Think I Know What Spiders You Mean Too Tho. What Do You Think Bout Scorpions?

~Toni~

10. I've never been anywhere that's had scorpions, but I doubt I would like them very much.

11. Oh Ok. Have You Ever Seen Those Pink Praying Mantises That Look Like They Blend In With Flowers?

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yes, I've also seen white ones and tan ones. I don't know if they can change their colors or just come in different colors.

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. Ya IDK Either But It Isa Good Question.

~Toni~

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I love Praying Mantis's for sure. This one hitched a ride on the windshield of my van a couple of years ago and I was able to get this cool shot of her.

Mantis.PNG

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. They're awesome insects. I think (my opnion) that they possess some sort of intelligence, I've had a few as pets, and they seem to think and calculate.
    Even aware that you are not a threat and will interact with you, not for a reward of food, but just as a curiosity.
    Mine would happily leave its screen cage (meant for lizards), climb my hand and walk around my arm and shoulders.
    Very cool pet, but short lived.

I often buy the egg sac from home depot and place them in some bushes just to have them around, plus they eat the annoying bugs.

They're related to cockeroaches.

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  16. That Isa Great Pic Chunk Thank For Sharing It.

~Toni~

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. That's Really Cool Man. Did You Name Them Too? What Color Were They?

~Toni~

18. I had some common ones (green) which get large (up to 8"), and some desert ones, that looked like they had a camo pattern, and some expensive jungle ones, that looked like flowers.

• Creative Creative x 1