Prayer is for reflection?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by TrueNirvana, Mar 26, 2014.

1. So growing up as a christian I was taught that prayer was a time to thank god for his blessings. Ask for what you wanted from god. Basically a way to experience your relationship with god.

But say you view yourself as your own god. Not to say that you want other people to worship you but you believe in yourself. Idk I'm probably not explaining this part well enough.

Anyway, you use prayer as a way to reflect on your day, situation, life etc. You focus on the positive things that you've achieved and also use this time to set goals....Ugh I forgot where I was going with this. Will try to reorganize my thoughts and come back later.

2. Prayer, reflection, meditation, contemplation - all words basically describing the same thing.

It is the state of mind, the sense of presence, the letting go of the story, the self, that gives these moments their power. No need to ask for material things from some benevolent gift giver - surely He would already know what you need. Yet put yourself into a state of open receptivity. Accept that who you are and where you are and what is in your life is as it should be, regardless of whether it is what you think it ought to be, easy or not. Feel that your life has meaning, even if that meaning is not always obvious, and allow what comes into it to be what needs to be there. You do not need the right words, the right techniques. What is in your heart does not need them. And see what that brings.

Be your realest, most honest self, and experience life that way so it can teach you in a way that works for you. See others as you would see yourself. Do to them as you would have them do to you. That Jesus character does know a thing or two.

3. prayer is for getting the shit you need quick