Prank went reallllly wrong

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by BGreen420, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Okay, so earlier i found a smoke bomb from the fourth of july, but its one of those good ones that are white/gray and last for about five mins. So anyways i was going to mess with my mom, and say that her car overheated cause i was using it. So i lit the smoke bomb, and put it on the ground under the front end of the car, and it looked so legit, the smoke looked like it was pouring out of the hood. So i run into my moms house and tell her and she comes out and starts freaking out, and eventually i told her what i did. So the smoke bomb went out, and about three mins later i hear sirens. I was like "Could those be coming for the car?!" So i keep listening and it gets closer and closer and closer until i see a fire truck and an ambulance stop in front of my house, and eventually a cop car came. So they walk up to the house and asked us if we knew anything of a car fire, and i had to explain to them what happened. They weren't really amused, but they just kind of lectured us on how its a waste of their time. Whatever though, it was funny, and there was a big ol scene in front of my moms house. Anyways, my mom found it funny afterwards that the fire dept came, but i couldnt belive that just happened.

2. You're very lucky you didn't get charged for arson, or the car didn't explode over that dumb shit.

3. Waste of their time? Well you didn't call them so they wasted their own time.

4. Exactly what I was thinking, as I read this.

5. For him to be charged with arson, wouldn't his mom have to press charges..?:rolleyes:

Also, the underside of a car is built to withstand a lot more abuse and heat than the fuse/smoke of a smoke bomb can produce..

6. [quote name='"Stonefry"']You're very lucky you didn't get charged for arson, or the car didn't explode over that dumb shit.[/quote]

Really? Lol

7. Ha my sister called the cops once when we were home once cuz we thought these dudes were doin something or robbing our house. Turns out they were some guys cleaning our gutters... Cops were mad lol

8. LoL that is some funny and kids would totally would shit their pants. yea they robbbing you of all your leaves in the gutta...

9. LoL I woulda laughed at them cops and been like "Ok, you can leave now".

They couldn't charge you for shit.

10. Idk..? I'm not a lawyer or mechanic but I wouldn't set a firework next to a car
    For giggles. I just know ppl who got charged for sumn less harmful so I'm just judgin from my experiences.

11. So how did the fire department get involved? Did someone else call? Anyways, funny prank and it's good your mom laughs about it with ya now.

Cheers. :smoke:

12. No, not at all.

He had something on fire underneath a car. If you understand basic arson laws in the US (especially the difference between misdemeanor and felony), you'll understand why he could have been charged with arson. Regardless of whether it was a prank or not, something serious could have gone wrong (imagine if an undetected leak from the car came into contact with any flames), which could have hurt someone not involved in the prank.

These types of arson cases usually fall under the umbrella term of "unlawful burning".

If you actually want to read up (rather than post rollyeyes emoticons): California "Arson" & "Reckless Burning" Laws | Penal Code 451 & 452 PC

That's California. To understand what charges could have been brought against him, scroll down to "California Penal Code 452 PC reckless burning"

Specifically, this part:

He had an open flame under a car. Logic would think that it's pretty reckless, and he knew that, because that was the prank. He was trying to have his mom flip out because she thought her car was on fire. He did that by putting something lit under the car. That pretty much proves knowledge of the risk, and his deliberate reckless decision to take the risk, as well as disregard for any injuries that could've occurred.

And to answer your question more simply, charges don't need to be pressed for arson to be charged. If someone burns their own property recklessly and dangerously it's arson, as an example of the lack of logic in that line of thinking.

13. Wow I love that people that go into such depths about this, Played a prank, Fire Dept showed up, Brief lecture then they left. Damn you people overthink things.

14. haha thats funny! you must have some nosy neighbors around

15. ahahaha that's great OP. Fuck them for lecturing you. Shoulda been like, "am I being detained officer? No?" And walked inside lolol

16. I assume you're talking about me.

Sorry guy, I guess I got interested in the topic and wanted to give the correct answer?

Next time I'll revert to ignorance and herp da derp the discussion along

17. Good.

18. Is this website even real? ROFL!

19. Thats exactly what went through my head when i read that HAHA :hello:

20. What a great idea. Put something that you have to light with a flame under a car, which often leaks gas or other flammable liquids, has a giant pressurized gas tank, dedicated FUEL line and internal combustion engine..if my friend did this to me as a prank I'd bust open his lip for being so stupid and careless.