PPM question help please

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by wanabegrenthumb, Jun 28, 2011.

1. setup is 2 bubble buckets with 400 hps

I am using the flora 3 part series from GH with liquid karma and cal mag..

plants are 12 days old and Im ruining the nutes at 1/4 strength per recommended. I used the ppm calculator that GH provides. ( no spot for liquid karma or cal mag)

when I figure what I am using the PPM comes in at 75 right now. Ill go to the strength they recommend in two weeks. next week going to 1/2 strength then 3rd week full strength. That will put me at around 387 according to there PPM calculator. they say that is the mix for "Mild Veg" the mix they provide for "aggressive veg" brings the PPM to a 779.

Am I missing something here??? I would have thought that those PPM numbers are kinda low???? I am a noob and really dont know. I know that I have liquid Karma in it too will that bring the ppm levels up a little???

What should I be shooting for on PPM???
    Any help is greatly greatly appreciated!:confused:

2. Ppm 75??? Waaaaaaay too low in my opinion. I use advanced nutrients and at 2 weeks or 5-6" my ppm are put at 500 (whether from seed or clone). Until flowering, i dont let it get over 700. Make sure that ph stays in check, thats first and foremost to the ppm.

3. Here are the plants one was burned too close to the light. The smaller one was a way late bloomer, not sure Wha the two spots are?? Any suggestions? What do you think about the one that was burned?

Attached Files:

4. O.K. you have two plants per pot, hope they are both females cause to seperate them if you have a male will be courting disaster. How are you arriving at your PPM? according to their computation? Do you have a PH/EC/PPM meter?
    I would go with the recommended dosage until you plants start to show signs of a change, yellowing, and other symptons of stress.
    I use GH myself and follow the doseage according to the instructions on the bottles.
    PH will be more important as if it goes wacko the plant cannot absorb the nutes to make a good grow. Just my $.02 worth

Herb

5. I have a ph meter its at 6. Should be females cause I ordered fem seeds? Yes I am just using there calculator to get ppm. Did you start your plants on there gh recommend mix. I was told to do 25% of recommended mix after 1 week??? Then slowly jump up to full strength??? The plants all in all look good except the little fella with the two brown spots....

6. Young plants are very sensitive to nutes, I started out with what was recommended by GH on one plant and on another one I cut it by 1/2 both plants grew at the same rate. After a couple of weeks I upped to mild vegative growth on both. So far so good.

Herb

7. what do you guys think about the last pic on the right? the little guy? those two spots are weird?????

It had the hardest up bringing... lol... I germinated 2 seeds at first and one popped and the other didnt so i put in a third one and it popped but still not the one. so I put it back in some water from a paper towel and it popped. this little guy is that one. so am I guessing right that whole event would have stressed the shit out of it?

do you think it would be stressful to go from 1/4 strength nutes to GH recommended nutes for seedlings right now? Im planning on changing them tonight. maybe keep the 1/4 strength for the little guy???

thanks for all the input...

8. Just wait till some new growth starts to appear and then SLOWLY bring the nute levels up. Most seedlings are nute whores but I personally keep my ppm around 250-350 for the first week or so until there's is plenty of new growth. Put your light on 24/7 for a week or so then flip to 18/6 or 20/4 (what I run)

9. [quote name='wanabegrenthumb']what do you guys think about the last pic on the right? the little guy? those two spots are weird?????

what do you guys think about this????? anything???

10. Just let them grow

11. kick back cadillac it is! thank you sir blaze on!

12. I don't know exactly what GH is saying?? But i don't usually go over 400 during veg... And thats total ppm. And my water starts at 150..... And then i slowly creep it up during flower. And by like 3rd week im at 700+ And im finishing my run at 1200. But it all depends on genetics and the hartyness of your plant. Its all just trial and error. Creep it up till you see signs of burning, then back off by 50ppms. And you should be gold.

13. I don't have a meter for ppm, so on the two bigger ones in one bucket I went to 50% of recommended from 25% I think that comes to around 170 acording to there calculation.

Ph is at 5.7 and the plants have grown since last night, the one that was light burned is now taller than its sister, so it must be back on track..... we will see what happens in the next couple of days.

I go out of town friday until sunday, can't wait to not see them for a few days and then come back to hopefully some bigger plants

14. Sounds good. I think you'll see huge changes when you return! Just keep those ppms low until they take off

15. I keep having ph issues... Ill set it at 5.8 in the afternoon and the next day it will raise anywhere from .5 to 1.0. I have been mixing calmag 5ml to the gallon using RO water. I was told that can help keep ph stable??? Also I have read that ph raising could mean the plants are tellingt me too much nutes?? But even when I was mixing a the 50ppm it was still raising everyday..

What do you guys think? Normal??

16. #16 Tihspeed, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Rising ph is a good thing...if it were droping I would get concerned

17. Ok..... must have been a little ripped when I read that then???? Lol

18. Yea your good. Raising ph means they are taking up the nutes. Just try to keep it to as close as your target as possible. Doesn't have to be perfect all the time but you'll get the hang of it. Use ph adjusters and make sure not to use to much calmag

19. If your using the Lucas formula and marked your water levels then it's easy to addback what you need and bump it up

20. I think I might have the hang of it now..
    if I understand right, then the plant is telling me it could take more nutrients or bump up nutes and keep an eye on the what the ph is doing and that should tell me how they react to more nutes?

I plan on leaving the nutes the same for the next week and then bumping them up, they are making good progress since the one was burned 2 weeks ago. Even the smaller one that was stessed From the beginning is picking up a lot!

Should have pics on monday!