PPM help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Veeners5, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Okay so I have read the PPM sticky and still have a couple questions.

Typical rule of thumb is 1/2 dose of manufactures recommended amount of nutes. When I add in a teaspoon of nutes my ppm only goes to about 300ppm. Most  of the stuff Ive read says that for where I am at in my flowering cycle, I should be able to get up to like 800-1000ppm. Does this mean I keep adding more of the nutrients? Im scared that it will take 2-3times the dose and Ill end up burning my plants. Im only using FF bigBloom and the occasional CaMg. Do most people use more than 1 bloom nute at a time? Thanks in advance.

2. I think most people just stick with one line of nutes, it keeps it simple. Yes many people say just use half strength, but I would experiment and give full strength to some of the plants. Then you can see what is working best in your garden. Of course, to be a true comparison you would be running clones side by side, and experimenting with the PPM to "dial in" to perfection. Hope that helps my brother Spicoli!

Hey, I know that dude! :)

3. Most feeding schedules use multiple parts, even during flowering you are still using a certain amount of the 'grow' nutrient.

So for a schedule like that which might usually recommend 1000ppm, you're using half that strength so 500ppm straight away but then you're only adding one nutes that is recommended, hence your feed is even lower than that.  So you're not actually comparing like with like when you're comparing your nute solution to the label, and that's why you're confused by it.

Cannabis plants can be very variable, I am growing two strains right now and one LOVES nutes, can't get enough, and the other HATES nutes and gets nitrogen toxicity before I even open the bottle.  Generally they feed less than plants like tomatoes or garden plants, so that's why the recommended starting point is 1/2 strength to be on the safe side, but the full advice goes on to say you can increase the strength in response to your plants.

If this is hydro then PPM is pretty important, but if this is soil then it's not such a big deal.  But from what you're saying probably yes you could increase the strength a bit.  Don't shoot straight for 1000ppm and don't go over the recommended amount per gallon on the label - too much of a good thing can be bad.

4. #4 Cherokeen, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
    I'm using FF full line bbloom, tiger bloom, grow big and the suggested ppm at 6 weeks is 2100 so that's what I'm feeding at and they seem to love it!!!

Attached Files:

5. Thanks everybody, that clears it up for me a bunch. I am in soil but would like to get my nutes dialed in as strong as they will let me.

Thats why I love this place :)

Thanks man...Holy shit I havent seen Mr. Belvedere in some fooking years man, best avi in the city I have sen yet! Back in the day we used to be able to give you "points" for cool shit like that, but now...nada. Lol, anyways, thanks Mr. B, I can use all the help I can get ;)

6. Yes I've even noticed I have two plants in my tent in the exact same soil and they both get watered/fed at the exact same times with the exact same nutes and the PPM of the runoff is always different from each plant