PPM/EC confusion

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by umphreak82, Oct 19, 2010.

1. I just want to verify and validate something that is really confusing to me.

I have been told two VERY different things regarding mixing a nutrient solution. My water, after running through a dechlorinating filter, is 160 PPMs. My goal for a nutrient solution mix is 850 PPMs. What is confusing me is the two different ways I have been instructed to mix my nutrient solution.

Choice One - Consider my water zeroed out and build to 850 PPMs, for a gross reading of 1010 PPMs. This is what I have been instructed by the manufacturer to do.

Choice Two - Include the 160 PPMs in the 850 PPM reading for a gross nutrient mix of 690 PPMs. This is what I have been instructed by the local gardening shop to do.

I appreciate the help in clarifying this information.

2. Your final PPM should be water + nutrients.
    160 + 850 = 1010
    Nothing else makes sense when you think about it.
    The real question is why are you using 160 PPM water in the first place...

3. just to add to the confusion i...if i want 850 ppm i take the 160 of water and add 690 ppm nutes to come up with a total ppm count of my solution 850ppm..not sayin' this is right..but it works dam good:confused:

4. You want 850 ppm of nutrients - for a 20% Nitrogen mix that's 170 ppm of N.
    If you subtract the base 160 (690 ppm) you end up with 138 ppm of N.
    Yea?

5. Raoul, I agree. It has to be water plus nutrients. But, if you are shooting for a PPM of 850, you don't want to over shoot it by 160 PPM by adding the full 850 in nutrients. You would only want to add the difference. In this case, 690 PPM.