Powering the grow closet using UPS (?)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by dokholidae, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Hi Forumers,

Just recently, I've begun to consider converting my grow room a bit. The wire poking out from inside the growroom to the plug outside it is a bit discomforting for me, since my friends, relatives, etc walk by and ask "What's that orange wire, and what's inside the closet room?"

I have to divert their attention somehow, but it bugs me that I have to do this -- so I was wondering about whether Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) would work in this scenario. I pretty much only have a 250W and maybe two florescent lights inside (growroom design in plan) so would a UPS work in this scenario?

The best UPS I can see in the local Best Buy's run 140 minutes... which isn't satisfactory for me. Obviously, since it's only a 250W, the UPS would run a bit more than 140 minutes but I don't want to operate under numbered minutes.

Ideally, I would like to be able to run my growroom unplugged for 2 days... I usually have visitors on sporadic weekends, so this would be for the occasional event that someone is over. Otherwise, it would be plugged in when I am alone.

Any suggestions for this? Or should I just call an electrician and ask him to put in a power socket in my closet?

Thanks

2. creating an outlet in your closet would probably be cheaper and more practical in my opinion. I dont know anything about these UPS you mention but 140 mins is nothing compared to what you would need. With a little research and some handy work you may be able to safely perform moving the socket to your closet yourself. Depends on your level of comfort with that type of thing. It would be relatively simple to do, and almost strange to ask an electrician for such a simple thing. Although i guess you could say you want to keep a dehumidifier in there for some reason or another.

3. Heh, that's funny - I did use the "yeah, that's my humidifier" excuse once. :p

Anyway, you're probably right that cutting a hole in the wall, inserting a power outlet including fishing for wiring, etc - is easy to do but I'll prefer if a professional did it once because I got a couple other things he could use a look at. Just one more bird to strike down with a stone. Plus, I am not a very good handyman.

To clarify, UPS's are generally used for computers, servers, etc, to keep them running after a power failure through the use of a battery recharger.

4. A UPS is not going to work like that. Get someone to run you a socket inside your closet. You don't have to tell em a damn thing. Your not paying them to know why you want a plug in your closet. Your paying them to run the damn plug. If you do feel the need to provide a reason tell them that your last dwelling had plugs in the closets and it something you have gotten used to.
    Since you need some other things looked at make sure you have this added to the list. Maybe do another closet in another part of the house to so it looks more normal of a thing for you to want.

5. #5 mr echo, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2009
    I'm with LEDJunkie get a socket installed and don't tell him anything. Or like LED said tell them you find closet plugs convenient, don't bother tell them what for just that you find it useful.
    Or run your power cord through the wall or under the carpet.
    The closest option to your ups would be the battery charger packs for your car/camping. But beware, I've heard 'you can run your fridge' a friend tested this, sure it runs but only for about 15 min.
    Your best bet is hiding the cable you have or get a socket installed.

I've come to realize that others need to be kept on a need to know basis. Its not rude to want some privacy, or to not explain entire situations when people really don't need that info. I'm not just talking about M.J. either, life in general is YOUR business, only share what YOU want.
    Silence is golden!

Btw thanks for sharing on here, we love being a part of your secret life ;)

Edit: If I had closet outlets my plan would change and my intended grow would be larger. Good luck

6. Hey man, I just added a gang box to my closet and it was the easiest friggin thing ever.

10' wire/1 gangbox with screw catch/1x20amp receptacle/faceplate...

I found the breaker for the nearest power box. Cut it off.. triple checked to make sure lol... then piggy backed from one box to the other.

Took maybe a total of 20min + 2min of cleanup...

Try youtube and search for How To outlet .. that should yield some results.

PM me and i'll help you if you want

7. Just stumbled into this. Thanks guys for the extra tips.