Power.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Timesplasher, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Power is subjective. Prove me wrong. :smoking:

2. The Big Bang was powerful

3. Zen agrees with you.

4. So everything is weaker than something else?

:hippie:

5. You got it.

6. I just got my power back yesterday after Sandy hit. That kinda power, right?

7. Everything is relative.

Absolutely everything.

8. [quote name='"Brenjin"']Everything is relative.

Absolutely everything.[/quote]

Reality is objective. But perception of it is definitely relative.

9. Power in physics is objective because it can be measured/calculated and if all the possible variables are exactly the same in a repeated experiment it usually has the same outcome (for physics and chemistry that is)

When an atom absorbs light it gets ''excited'' and emits light of a specific visible wavelength we can observe it because of the color that it emits.

What is subjective is our perception of things, in this case color.
    Whenever you look at your weed you need the realise that the color you are seeing is not the color that the bud is emitting, in reality you are smoking red/purple weed even though you observe it as green.

So to conclude my post, some words of wisdom from the poster above :

10. Maybe it was a bit vague of me not to state my understanding of what term "power" means in the question I asked. I was asking from a sociological perspective. "Status" or "authority" were other terms that I neally used instead.

What interest's me are peoples personal views and the likely conflict between the subjective and objective when put into a sentence.

I couldnt make a educated argument against the laws of chemistry/physics.

Personally I can see the logic in your opening statement: Power in physics is objective because it can be measured/calculated and if all the possible variables are exactly the same in a repeated experiment it usually has the same outcome

The part that doesnt convince me that your understanding of "power" in this context is objective is "repeated experiment it usually has the same outcome"

11. Perfect Boobs.

12. you know when people say 'theres always someone bigger and badder then you'

well.. there has to be that one person bigger and badder then everyone else..

i wanna meet that guy

13. That's completely contradictory, there has to be an absolute thing which forms the basis for all relations.

14. There are no absolutes.

Except for the statement: "There are no absolutes."

15. #15 d1ng1zx2, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012
    ^If there is no absolute than how are we calling anything relative? Relative to what? To an absolute

Relative: Something depending on external conditions for its specific nature, size, etc (as opposed to absolute)

So how could everything be dependent on something else for its existence?

16. Reality is absolutely objective, and is absolutely perceived subjectively.

You can say there are no absolutes because chemicals degrade over time, and atoms disperse throughout the universe. But it is always happening only one way. And it will always be viewed differently.

17. Its interesting to me that the only absolute your willing to accept is a "statement" :smoking:

18. [quote name='"Timesplasher"']

Its interesting to me that the only absolute your willing to accept is a "statement" :smoking:[/quote]

Lol I thought you were him responding to me and I was soooo confused :laughing::laughing: :bongin:

19. I'M SO CONFUSED!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. [quote name='"Fizzly"']I'M SO CONFUSED!

[/quote]

What don't you understand?