Power to shut down the net

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MountyBounty, Apr 9, 2009.

1. #1 MountyBounty, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
    First, Al Gore created the Internet. Now Obama might be able to shut it down. Jay Rockefeller of WV has declared that the internet"should have never existed".

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct9xzXUQLuY]YouTube - Jay Rockefeller: Internet should have never existed[/ame]

The Politicians want to regulate the internet so bad because it is almost similar to the salons, taverns, and coffee shops of France during the 18th century Enlightenment. The people are becoming more and more awaken and less influenced from the MSM. This scares the hell out of them and thats why it will be shut down or regulated. Hmmm haven't we been hearing about recent "cyber attacks" in the news.

Through fear they create control. We need a "national cybersecurity czar" for our safety, so endorse the cyber security act of 2009 bill for your country's survival!! :rolleyes:

2. I had a feeling that it would happen. I just hope by that time they close down the internet, people would be on streets killing big brothers.

3. People who have never been on the internet shouldn't have say.

Same thing with marijuana.

They just don't know.

4. The Internet may just save us yet. Thanks Al.:D

5. Yea I read some fear propaganda in the NYT or somewhere accusing Russia and China of hacking into the US electric grid via the internet and planting bugs in it so that they can control our power. It was all speculative reports from the government.

6. #6 roach, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
    Obama , in fact the entire American population put together, could not "shut down" the internet.

lol:p

It is global...not just American.

so back away from that internet on/off switch there Barak baby.:wave:

Jay Rockefeller = obviously an idiot...., forgets why the "net" was originally created.

If he in WV is concerned about cybersecurity in WV ... voluntarilly take those applications off the net.

During the Cold War, on October 4, 1957 the Soviet Union (now Russia) quietly launched its first spacecraft satellite called Sputnik into orbit. This launch challenged the United States Department of Defense to put a high priority on research and projects in science and technology and created an agency called ARPA (Advanced Research Projects Agency).
    (later a "D" for defense, was added to ARPA making the ever popular DARPA)

The United States Air Force commissioned the Rand Corporation to proceed with a research project that consisted of protection and transfer of vital information in case of an attack in a nuclear war.1962
    Paul Baran of the Rand Corporation created the concept of dividing information into blocks or packets and marking the origin and destination. Then sending the packets individually from one computer to another until they all hit the final destination. In the case of a nuclear attack, packets of information will continue transmitting between computers.

The ARPANET project was handed over to BBN Planet (GTE). BBN received its first Honeywell mini- computer (Honeywell 516) containing only 12 kilobytes of ram.

ARPANET was connecting 23 mini-computers in universities and institutes in the United States, and was using the network control protocol (NCP) to transfer data.

Vint Cerf and Bob Kohn start a project to develope Transmission-control Protocol (TCP). ARPANET went international, connecting to England and Norway.

Bob Kahn and Vint Cerf refer to the term "Internet" for the first time on their notes regarding Transmission Control Protocol.
    Usenet was created by Steve Bellovin, Tom Truscott and Jim Ellis using UUCP.

The National Science Foundation created a separate Internet network called CSNET for institutions without access to ARPANET. It was wired on 56 kbps speed. Later Vinton Cerf proposed a plan to establish a connection between ARPAMET and CSNET.

On January 1983 TCP/IP became the standard communication method for ARPANET and it replaced the network control protocol (NCP). An organization created to oversee web research the development of the Internet it was called Internet Activities Board (IAB). The Domain Name System (DNS) was created by the University of Wisconsin. There was about 500 hosts connected to ARPANET.
    The ARPANET was divided into two separate networks of MILNET and ARPANET. MILNET was used for military purposes and ARPANET was used for research and educational purposes. There was about 1000 hosts connected to ARPANET.

The National Science Foundation starts funding several universities and institutions with supercomputer centers to make them available for research in universities around the country. Many universities did link to the NSF network and not only used them for research and education but also for e-mail file transfer and newsgroups.1986-1988
    The National Science Foundation continued its effort to make its own networks (NSFNET) available to educational institutions so that the educational institutions would have a faster connection. It also hired Merit Networks to helped them speed up their network.

The World wide web was invented by Tim Barnes-lee in CERN Laboratory.
    The Department of Defense decided to make the 50kbs ARPANET obsolete. ARPANET was replaced by NSFNET (The National Science Foundation's Network).

The first line browser (called www) was used on the CERN network.

WWW browser was available for download via FTP by CERN. This was the big start for the world wide web.

The National Science Foundation created InterNic which consists of three organizations: 1. AT&T to handle database services 2. Network Solutions, Inc. to handle host and domain name registration and IP assignment
    3. General Atomics to handle information services Network Solutions began registration services for .com, .net, .org and .gov.. The National Science Foundation started turning away from the internet backbone business, and instead they designed a series of Network Access points called NAPS. They then invited private telecommunication companies to interconnect at a series of single points.

The Internet grows significantly since it was open for commercial use. The National Science Foundation announced the following four major network access points (NAPS):
    1. San Francisco by Pac Bell 2. Chicago by Ameritech 3. New York by Sprint 4. Washington DC by Metropolitan Fiber Systems

National Science Foundation's network halted all access to its network, and instead, the four private companies that were assigned by NSF took charge of the Internet backbone.

Private commercial companies such as AT&T, MCI, Sprint, UUNET and other telecommunication companies connected to each other and created the backbone of the Internet, expanding the Internet dramatically.

One millionth domain name registered with InterNic.

Growth of major portal and e-commerce sites was dramatic, and several of those Internet companies went public.

There is speculation that Network Solutions will not be the sole provider of domain name registration.

7. He can and he will.

Just ask the Chinese how it is done.

How would you like to get online one day and find that your browser will only take you to whitehouse.gov?

8. I would be pissed and as well as others! Chinesse people are very dumb because they don't know how to protest against their gov. :rolleyes:

9. You're doing a MUCH better job. How's your Xbox going? :rolleyes:

10. i think itll have to be a serious threat..think of the money thatlly need to be involved to make such a thing happen..we were talkin about this tonight in my microsoft apps. class....

11. THE INTERNET IS A SERIES OF TUBEZ!

youtubez

12. If Obama shut down the internet, he would be the stupidest mutherfucker alive. Millions of people would lose their jobs, Obama would be a target for killers everywhere, and billions of people would hate him.

13. don't worry, he wont. its a fear-tactic people use to spread fear of obama- i'll bet my life and everyone else's that obama doesn't shut down the net:D

14. We still elect Rockefellers? Interesting.

Cool name huh?

15. #16 sikander, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2009
    Would it have been better if we had never had the Internet? No.

What would have been better is if it had been designed with better security in mind. I'm no network engineer so I couldn't say how much of that would need to go in at the TCP/IP level but certainly at the operating system level there's room for improvement.

I think the OpenBSD guys are taking the right approach: when they find an exploit in their code they audit the whole codebase to make sure it doesn't crop up elsewhere. AFAIK they're unique in that regard.

Oh, and I think shutting down the Internet would be pretty much impossible at this point. The crux of getting everything up and running is laying cable, and most everywhere in the world is connected. I think if the US took down the root DNS it would still be possible for others to establish an alternative (I think. I'm a little fuzzy on how the Internet is structured).

16. Whether they are truly capable of it or not is not the point, its that they are trying to get the power to supposedly do so.

17. #18 sikander, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2009
    Assuming they know what they're talking about, which is actually not a reasonable assumption with Congresscritters, they'd need to be on some really interesting drugs to think having the legal authority to do it would mean anything. It would be like imposing a heavy tariff on unicorns: doesn't make any sense and wouldn't mean much of a change in the way anybody does anything.

18. Yes, but merely showing that they desire have the power to control our entire lives through unfair and stupid restrictions, taxes, bans, prohibitions, and etc. is scary enough?

19. Good point.

I think it's also good to realize that there are some fucking whackjobs in Congress (a minority compared to the numbers of the merely stupidly corrupt) and all kinds of weird ideas and legislation is kicked around.

Just because a Congressman gets up on C-SPAN and wonders if we should ban the Internet doesn't necessarily mean anybody else thinks it's a good idea.