Power supply wiring question PC

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by SkysDaLimit420, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hello, I am wiring my power supply to a power strip for stealth.

This is the example i have, but my power supply is a bit different. At the start of the negative, and the blue wire on mine there is a "250VAC" transistor and its yellow. Should I break this off or will it be fine?

[​IMG]

2. Don't take my word for it but I think you should leave it on. Aren't transistors essential components for a lot of electronic devices?

Lets see what our electricians have to say.

3. I can't help ya with this, but have a functioning power supply, you can short it into running by inserting (into the main motherboard plugs) one end of a paperclip into the green wire slot and the other end into any black wire slot. Sorry :/

4. I have a couple box fans for exaust and intake from an old computer. They have red and black wires. What do i connect that to to make it work?

5. You can hook those up to AC chargers. Computer fans are 12volts with different amp usage. For best results look for an AC charger with 12 volt output and you can hook up as many fans as the amps is rated (compared to the amps the fans take to run). Its always best to leave some open amp space as well, not run it to full capacity.

Just cut the end off a charger (cell phone chargers work good) and connect your wires.

6. ya the more amps the better, the higher voltage will increase the speed, but if you over draw the amp rating for the charger it will over HEAT and in the worst case scenario........ 'nuff said,

7. #7 sleepy96, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

I wouldn't modify anything on the power supply. There is no need to at all. You can use it completely functionally without even taking it apart. Bypassing the voltage selector will do nothing beneficial.

If you are looking to figure out how to turn it on, there are two contact points, on the large molex ATX connector (for the motherboard) that need to be connected together. This acts as the "switch" to turn the power supply. Notice you can plug it into the wall, try and turn it on, and it wont output any voltage. This is because it requires that point to be connected (usually by the motherboard) to turn on the power supply.

Use this picture as reference:
    [​IMG]

Connect the Green " PS_ON# "(pin 16) to Black " COM "(pin 15) and it should turn on the voltage output.

8. wow, that works too, if you want to have your PC power supply inside the grow box creating extra heat and using up space, my old laptop charger has one 3" fan blowing about 10miles an hour(judging by the feeling with my oh so accurate hand lol) no heat and i wired it solid, i even felt the wiring connections, through the shrink tupe insulator on it, and they dont get hot either, it is the way that everyone does it, its simple and you dont have to be an electrical engineer studying diagrams looking up what type of computer power source you have etc. etc. etc.

9. #9 Mr_Bear, Mar 19, 2012
    You guys didnt really read very well.

I've got the same question.

If you look at it, there is a little diode jobber going between the 2 power pins, doesnt touch the ground.

I have removed it. When i rewire this to a surge protector, i will let you guys know if i catch fire. However I dont believe its necessary as I think it serves as a backfeed protector for the POWER SUPPLY. and if you are wiring the plug of a 3 pin surge protector, just wire it up as is - the surge protector has that type of protection inside

10. #10 sleepy96, Mar 19, 2012
    Diagrams help everyone, there's nothing to study with a diagram. Its always good to know what you're working with, right? Or do you prefer to be ignorant? Its very simple to hook up the power supply to turn on. He didn't mention a thing about an old laptop charger like what you have, he has a power supply to work with and that's what were assuming at this point.

PC power supplies give you a lot of current as well, much more than you'd get from a normal 12v charger.

A 300W supply will give you 25 Amps (max) of current to its 12v output. (Ohms law= 300w/12v= 25A)

Most fans draw ~200mA (0.2 Amps) so thats around 100 fans! lol
    If he is looking to remove the ground for some reason, once again just use a ground adapter on the power cord. No need to take it apart.

His post was very vauge, so why don't you elaborate on his question for us?

SkysDaLimit420 What are you trying to do with your power supply?

11. He is stupendously clear.

What he's asking and the question I had and answered myself was this:

What does he do with the little diode jobber between the two pins on the back of a power plug for a power supply. This is why...

When you are using the back panel of a power as kind of a power distributor. Instead of being connected to the power supply itself for 12v, the wires from the plug and/or switch are connected to the bare end of a surge protector (cut off the end and have 3 wires to match) then you just connect your ground THROUGH the plug into your 3 prong from wall to back of power supply, and as in my case, have 20a capacity for 120v AC.

Follow? If not I'll post pictures explaining in a few after I have a sandwich.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. #12 Mr_Bear, Mar 19, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

does that clear up what he's trying to do any?

Its meant to allow you to use a complete stealth computer without other random heavy gauge wires coming out of it, all the lights get power (and so can the fans with an inverter) thru the stock plug and wire for the powersupply.

its super.

Attached Files:

13. No need to condescend, you're not better than anyone here bub.

And he didnt explain he had it inside a PC, not using it for its original purpose. So how should we know the difference?

He doesn't have a diode (not diode jobber) in his picture, nor did he mention a diode, so once again, how do we know that was his purpose?

Being "stupendously clear" requires a detailed explanation of his purpose, which he did not do.

I see what hes doing now, just connecting the surge protector to the back of the IEC connector so he can just plug the normal PC wire to it. Then the ground is attached to chassis along with neutral and negative to their appropriate connectors.

But once again, without a proper explanation of purpose, there is bound to be misunderstanding. :rolleyes:

14. Thanks for the explanation mrbear I see what hes trying to do now. lol

I thought he was using it for something completely different. :rolleyes:

15. Sorry, transistor. Either way, we've got it sorted out now!

16. so, is it fine to leave the transistor on?

17. No. take it off.

You dont need to worry about it because thats handled in the power strip. That plug is just allowing power to pass thru it, shouldnt be anything extra across the pins etc.