Powdery mildew (PM) resistant strains...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Spaceinvaderx, Mar 6, 2011.

1. I just wanted to know what the "City" has to say on this matter. From my limited experience I have noticed that the most resistant strain I have is super lemon haze. Unfortunately, my white russian is like a magnet for PM, it sucks too because it yields a good amount, but I am getting rid of it because I don't want to have a PM problem.

Anyway, I have read on other forums that blue dream, LA confidential, and super silver haze are also resistant and/or immune to PM.

I hope a few of you can chime in and give some personal insight on this. :wave:

2. Check out Green House Seeds "The Church" claims to be mildew resistant.... Search Youtube for GHS The Church grow video. They are feminized too.

Good Luck Bro

E

3. Thanks Eddyshore, I will definitely take a look and do some research.

Anyone else know of any other strong disease/pest resistant strains?

4. #4 MINGLED, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2011
    powdery mildew is not something you can just breed out of a strain. i have the blue dream and it is not 100% resistant. i sell blue dream clones all the time. although they are pest and disease free, i run a sulfur burner once a week so none of my customers ever have to worry about it. i don't ever spray a thing on my plants. ever. but if you're in cali, make sure you start out with a great quality clone. but to answer your question, i don't think you can find strains that are resistant totally. if you need good healthy clones i have some....if you're in so cal....
    [​IMG]

5. #5 Spaceinvaderx, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2011
    Thanks for the info MINGLED. Could you recommend a decent, but budget friendly sulfur burner?

Yeah, I pretty much knew that there is no such thing as a 100% PM immune plant out there, but you would not believe the way that this white russian attracted the stuff. I had to get rid of it, so the executive desicion has been made, WR is out.

I have a reserva privada headband plant that is looking pretty nice, so I will be taking clones off of that and keeping my fingers crossed.

I wouldn't mind checking out that blue dream though, got any pics or a link (is that them in your sig)?

6. Those are some lovely looking girls.

I have been looking around for a sulfur burner, but I like your idea of splitting the cost and sharing one with a friend. Whereabouts in SoCal do you deliver? You can just PM me info if you want (private message, not powdery mildew, LOL).

I have been using this stuff called "Exel LG", which is a systemic fungicide, and it has been working great so far. I soil drench about once a month and spray almost every week (or as the situation dictates) and my girls look nice and green.

7. #7 Spaceinvaderx, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
    Great talking to you today MINGLED; glad to know you are nearby. I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression about quitting on my white russian, this was just not a particularly strong, or disease / pest resistant batch. I do have plans to stick with certain strains for the long run; I still have the white widow from my first grow. I also have no plans to get rid of my SLH, but I am also looking for a variety of about 3 or maybe 4 strains tops. I hope my new headband will be a "keeper".

8. PM will always be a problem if you don't know how to control it. I have helped several people with this problem as I have to deal with it especially in late summer and early fall. There are several ways to deal with this problem, send me a pm and I will share my techniques.

9. Thanks old hippie, just sent you a PM. :wave:

10. #10 Spaceinvaderx, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2011
    I am extremely grateful for all of the advice so far, I will definitely be adding a sulfur burner to my arsenal (along with other things) to fight PM. Thanks for the great info MINGLED and old hippie.

However, I don't want to turn this into a "how do you fight PM?" thread because I am sure there are already enough out there. The main thing I am after is finding a solid strain that is resistant to diseases (mainly PM) and other pests.

I guess a better question to ask is: Are there any strains that are native or that have adapted well to California's varied climate, pests, and other conditions?

I would like to try to grow something that grows well here in Cali, not in another part of the world. I figure that if it grows well outdoors with good resistance to these things it should also flourish indoors where I can minimize the effects of these pests. Does that make sense?

Does anybody have any experience growing Northern Lights #5 crossed with Haze? I just germinated/planted one (keeping my fingers crossed).

11. Well, it has been a little over a month so I figured I should update this thread. Anyway, I am happy to report that after 2 short sulfur burns, there is virtually no sign of PM in my rooms! I built myself a sulfur burner and I have been running it for short amounts of time (2 hours or less) about every 2-3 weeks and plan to continue to do so for preventive purposes. I am still experimenting with the amount of time that I run the sulfur burner, last time (3rd time ever using it) I only ran it for 30 minutes since it was a "maintenance" burn.

Anyway, here is the link for the DIY sulfur burner, so if you are broke and have time this is for you: http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-marijuana-growing/382562-end-your-bug-mold-problems-%5Bdiy%5D-$30.html

I guess even though I didn't want to turn this into a "how do you fight PM?" thread, I am glad that it sort of did because I have stopped looking for that "holy grail" strain. I realized that I already had good genetics and that I just had to get the PM under control. Oh, yeah and my white russian clones that came from the "magnet for PM" have been looking great 7 weeks into flower, no sign of PM (keeping fingers crossed).

Thanks for the great advice old hippie

12. hemp might be one it grows wild

13. LOL, yeah. My buddy lives in S. Dakota and he told me that it grows wild up there. I didn't believe him at first, then he sent me several pictures of it growing in front of a walmart and on the side of the road (good looking buds too).

14. You are welcome, glad I could help. If you can keep your humidity below 40% you don't need to burn. Spores cannot survive below 40%.

15. Never had a pm problem with my blue dream, and I had it right next to some poison that had a bad case of pm... Blue dream to me is one of the best strains when it comes to disease resistance.

16. Thanks. I haven't had a single PM issue since I started using my home-made sulfur burner, I just do a burn for about an hour every 30-45 days (varies depending on how busy I am). Will definitely keep the blue dream in mind, I have heard nothing but good things from the growing community about this strain. I can also say that I've sampled some of it and it has a great aroma and effect.:smoke:

17. Won't Sulfur burning affect the taste during flower? I always thought you were suppose to burn right before putting them into flower

18. #18 Spaceinvaderx, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
    I try not to burn sulfur too close to harvest time, but I have done it as close as 1 to 2 weeks before harvest with no taste issues. Typically, my burns only go for an hour and that is enough for my 2 rooms, which are about 20x5x10 feet (both rooms combined).

19. I don't know of any pm 'immune' strains, but there are certainly resistant strains. Durban Poison or any cross w/ Durban does well. I've also noticed Big Bud doesn't seem to get it.