Powdery mildew on curing buds

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by firstnamelast, Dec 7, 2018.

1. I've also posted this in the sick plants forum but I figured it would not hurt to post here as well considering I have learned my techniques from this part of the board.

I made the mistake of jarring my nugs a little too wet. While I have been burping regularly and checking the nugs daily, today I noticed what looks likes tiny white specks on a few of the nugs. I assume the specks are botrytis.

I have spread all the nugs out on a cookie sheet in hopes of drying them out completely and killing the spores.

My question is has anyone else had similar experiences? Can I save this batch or do I need to toss it? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks, everyone

2. Toss it. Sorry

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tragic . I've been growing for over two years with no hickups then I let this happen . Thanks for the feedback

• Like Like x 1
  4. I've even tried to do a bud wash and let dry. Still comes back. Wondering if u kill it when u decarb and make oil??

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

5. Toss it, and chalk it up to experience. It’s happened to the best of us.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. #6 Taoist Farmer, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Next time,You can get a small humidity meter that will fit in a jar and check it after about an hour or so after placing your flowers in, if it shows higher than 65% or so, take them out and let dry some more, I'm no expert but this works for me.
    I like to cure at 60%,

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. aW is the measurement “active water” for the food/drug industry. Cannabis industry labs say .65aW is passable. At .60aW there is no microbial growth. I have no idea what that feels like. Measuring requires a lab test or a $1500. machine.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Y'know...... I haven't experienced this problem, so I'm just brainstorming outta my ass.
    Jorge Cervantes has a youtube video about washing PM from fresh weed using a hydrogen peroxide - water solution.
    I wonder how this would work with partly dry weed?

I don't have mildew problems on my plants, but I wash my weed like this anyways at harvest because removing all the outdoor debris makes it smoke a lot smoother.

9. That might work if there is a little PM on the leaves here and there but if the buds themselves are already covered in mold its not going to help.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. It will arrest it during harvest given you dry and cure around 70f/50% Rh. I also bud wash because of growing outdoors.

I have seen UVC (iirc) take it out, but still, it’s not worth it. GAMA radiation is the only other way to clean microbial contaminated material, but that make HULK angry!! lol

There was some recent information from medical genomics that was saying that plants with botrytis are usually all infected by the time you see colonization on the buds. Kinda makes sense if you’ve ever done mycology work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. I wonder if it would be all good if OP added hydrogen peroxide to water and made some bubble hash? I dunno if PM affects the resin glands does it?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

12. We’re really talking about two different diseases here - as Powdery Mildew grows on living plants - on dead plant growth we’re taking out and out mold.

Not worth the headache (no pun intended) IMO.

J

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1