Powder mildew!!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Farmer619, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Okay I'm growing a flood and drain hydro set up 600 w HPS and 150 w HPS lights. Many fans nice wind and ventilation. The high temp is 80 and it gets to about 60 at night. My plants are on flower stage it's going on the 5th week.

I recently noticed some powder on the leaves starting. I did some research and think its power mildew. I could not find however a reason explaining why it was so bad. Everything I read said to get rid of the plant and drastic things.

Is it THAT bad?
    How do I fix it(if even necessary since so late into flower)?
    Any help and info would help.

Here a picture please note its hard to catch this on my iPhone camera xP

Also a picture of my beautiful Nugs :). First grow btw !

Attached Files:

2. Wow that really sucks if it is powdery mildew, kinda looks like it in the first pic but its getting late and my eyes are tired. I lost 5 mother plants to powdery mildew. Once a plant gets it you cant get rid of it. You can use foiliar sprays, sulpher burner and such in veg to keep it at bay but in flower I was told that it can be a major pain in the ass and an uphill battle. I was told by an experienced grower who has a shitload of exsperience and a degree in hortilculture that in the long run its usualy cheaper and easier to destroy the plants and start over but thats catching it earlier on in veg way before flowering.

3. i heard there is this stuff called eagle20 that systematically kills pm and supposed to treat them early in veg and isolate them from your other plants...so if you have any clones from an infested plant you can kill the pm...while you finish off your plants in flower... for plants that are flowering that get pm i use a smallll amount of green cure mixed with baking soda to increase the ph to about 8.2-8.4 and add a few drips of anti bacterial soap..that has no scent or lotion in it so it adheres to the plant.. pm cant live in an alkaline environment.. and adding the green cure is just personal preference..if you mix it anywhere close to the recomended dose...it will kill all of the pistils and taste like trash..

4. Odd that in the advertisement for it it says that its a curative and preventative but I didnt see anywhere it the two PDF`s I read on it from the manufacturer does it say that it actualy cures it. In the PDF`s it says that its a preventative and controll. I would realy like to know if it does actualy cure PM. If so I would buy it. But as a preventative Green Cure is a much cheaper option.

5. Okay so how does it form? so I can make sure it doesn't happen again.

I'll tell you right now I'm not throwing any plants away.

I hope I don't die when I smoke this bud!

6. From what I was told is that the mold spores are airborn and get on the plants leaves and if the temps and humidity is right it can infect the plant. Their are products products already mentioned to help prevent a plant from getting it by raising the PH level of the leaves. As for dealing with it in flowering the guy who previously posted sounds like he has dealt with it in flowering stage and would go by what he says. I didnt let mine get to flowering I just started over.

7. once a plant shows signs of pm on the leaves..it is infected and so will every clone you have off of it... i have a very good strain and really dont want to kill it so adding about 3 drips of soap to purified water...then add some baking soda..slightly until you get between 8.2-8.4... as stated before adding a very tiny amount of green cure seems to help it not come back as fast...usually about a week or two.. the only real way to be 100 percent sure its gone is to clean everything with bleach once everything is done flowering... use a sulfer burner and kill all living spores in the room and start over from seed. ive read a few posts about that eagle20...some people see it come back...some dont.. but im sure it has to do with them not cleaning their area completely...or mixing treated plants in, with an infested plant.

i havent tried eagle20 but its very toxic... not supposed to use it in flower at all.. but dipping clones and spraying a few weeks before going into flower and i bet it will be all gone as long as your room is cleaned out.

i have a continuous grow going and cant afford to shut everything down completely and start from seed all over again and hope for the same genetics of this strain... the high ph water mixed with a little soap has helped save some of my plants and doesnt harm a thing. i spray once a week or every other week.

as far as how do you get pm... low air circulation in your tent/room... high humidy about 60%+ and ull run into problems unless the strain is very resistant to pm.. rapid heat changes.. try keeping a constant temp or about a 5F change from day to night... ive added more fans and keep the humidy at 35-40%...once 1 plant gets it..more than likely all of them will.. I HATE PM!!

8. I lost 2 set of mother plants in a row. I bought them on budtrader and believe they already had it and it was just a case of shitty luck twice in a row. After losing the first set we cleaned the whole room with bleach and water before getting more. I think they had it in the early stages before they showed signs of it on the leaves. After losing the second set I bought some fungicide bombs I`ve grown indoors 4 times before and never had PM before those 2 sets. We have since then started over from seeds this time and sofar no PM signs which reminds me when I water tonight need to spray them with some Green Cure as a preventative. Gonna make a homeade sulphur burner similair to the Nivola brand for about a third of the price. You just dont use sulpher burners in flowering.

9. Eagle 20 is the only thing that worked for me. 1.5ml-2ml per gallon is all you need. I burned my plants with 3ml but not 1ml.

I've tried all kinds of crap and the eagle has kept it away for months after only 1 spray.

It's expensive but works.

Happy growing

10. Trust me, just go buy the eagle 20

11. Yeah unfortunatley it will have to wait till I get paid.

12. That's cool. A cheaper solution is to ph adjust tap water to 10.0 and spray your plants with that. The high ph will break down the cell walls of the pm

13. Those leaves look like mine did when I had spider mites.
    I would check that j.i.c. before you start spraying for PM.

14. i agree those little spots on the leaves are a sure sign of spider mites...you could have both pm and the mites =/ pm is for sure looks exactly like powdered sugar forming in spots all over the leaves.. it will spread, and spread fast.. spider mites arent as much of a hassle as pm but they are also not fun to deal with. for spider mites i use mighty wash and spray the crap out of everything once a week until the plants are done or for about 3 weeks.. usually all living mites will die first spray..but you have to follow up and kill the hatching eggs also. mighty wash is safe to spray on flowering plants..leaves no smell or taste.. but make sure to rinse them down with power wash before you harvest. mighty wash leaves a slightly oily residue on the leafs.

i also just had spider mites on one of my plants along with pm... i used mighty wash then rinsed a few days later with high ph'd water. on the last treatment i rinsed them with power wash then the next day rinsed again with high ph'd water...and always soak with high ph water the day before you cut them down(make sure they dry) so you dont end up with pm while you are drying =/