Potting Soil Question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Ms.NatureFaerie, Mar 7, 2010.

1. I am looking into getting some potting soil, but they don't sell FFOF (or any FoxFarm products) around here. What are some other good soils to get or what should I look for in a soil when purchasing?

:wave:

2. any organic , non fertilized(time release) soil will work great...get a bag of perlite, dolomite lime to control ph over time....mushroom compost...worm casting's...
    this is a really good basic organic mix that work's everytime and very affordable...
    everything is easy to find...
    4 parts soil
    2 parts compost
    2 part's wormcasting's
    3 part's perlite
    1 parts dolomite lime

i alway's put a good inch of pure perlite in the bottom of my pot first, then soil mix ...
    it help's with drainage very well...
    cheer's

3. i put together around 200lbs of this mix for 25$....that's way better than ffof price and still getting great soil...:hello:

4. Go for anything with a Canadian sphagnum peat moss base and perlite. I use Promix. The 3.8 cubic foot compressed bale costs $43 in Nashville and $28 out where I am at the farm supply store. It has vermiculite, dolomitic and calcitic limestone for ph, and mycorrhizal fungal additive to increase root growth/intake. FFOF is very nutrient rich...and while that might be useful to someone who won't be around to add nutes for the first month or so, it's actually a bit shy of ideal for seedlings and really uncessary (and overpriced). 3.8 compressed is 50 gallons of soil, so I'm paying about 60 cents a gallon and then adding whatever organic nutes I want as needed. I've been using essentially nothing but molasses for a year, with good results, but now I'm about to try Pura Vida bloom, which is seaweed, kelp, alfalfa, molasses, epsom salt and sulfates of potassium, copper, iron, manganese and zinc.

5. i'd have to agree on the FFOF as well,
    it burn's strains in young growth that can't handle large feeding's...it's a little rich on the wallet to for what it is..

6. Where did you buy yours at? Are these things that are found at Walmart, Lowes, etc? Or am I better off going to a plant nursery?

7. most of this mix can be found at walmart and lowes,with the exception of dolamite lime.this can be purchased at a garden center for around 12.00 for 50 lbs. walmart usaully has worm castings in small bags,but not all the time. check the bag of perlite.make sure you don't get miracle grow perlite,it has slow release fertilizer in it.[at least the stuff around here does]

8. ya i get mine at walmart, nursery for casting's, and garden section at hardware store usually has the stuff really cheap...just general places with garden center's basicly...that's about the easiest and cheapest mix i make with great result's and stable ph...

cheer's

9. #10 custom280Z, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2010
    kartracer is right about MG brand stuff, it suck's...horrible for indoor, but not to terrible outdoor's...
    it's that darn time release fertilizer in it for sure...build's salt's up in indoor pot's , causes nute def and lockout...