Potting soil question

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by CALAMITY671, Nov 20, 2019.

1. I'm planning to make my own organic potting soil and wondered if this would be feasible

1 part manure/compost mix
    1 part native soil
    2 parts perlite

Native soil is a sandy clay
    Manure is aged bird/cattle poop
    Perlite to lighten and drainage

So I was wondering would making my soil half perlite lighten it enough to do container gardening?

I live on a small island guys so I cant go and buy coco or peat or many other soil amendments. Our only store with the largest gardening section (home depot) only has MG (which I'm never using again) and 6 soil amendments

Ammendments are
    Perlite
    Chicken manure
    Cow manure
    8 quart bag of peat (which is expensive as shit)
    Compost
    And mulch. Yeup fucking idiots put mulch as an ammendment.

I'm asking this because it's a very rocky island and you cant dig holes without jackhammers. Also containers would be easy to move in case the weather gets bad

Sent from my SM-G965F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. I think that sound beyond good. I use my own composted soil mixed with our hen's waste, and I add a bag or two of organic mix and bob's your uncle. Oh, and I mulch it pretty thick with straw. I live in the arid southwest.

• Like Like x 1
  3. U do container gardening too?

4. Yes, I do. :). Are you Hawaiian islands CALAMITY671?

• Like Like x 1
  5. I stay in the Micronesian Marianas island of Guam. The islands here especially Palau islands, Pohnpei islands, and Marianas Islands all grow tens of tons of weed yearly. It's so bad that even though weeds been legalized in the Marianas for almost a year no local cares about dispensaries. Only people thatd be going to those places would be tourist or people who just came here. Like why would I buy weed when I, My dad, cousins, uncles, aunties etc. Grow more weed than we could smoke.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I would be collecting egg shells and making leaf mold to add to your mix, and if you can find a place to forage greens to make FPEs, or to dry and use for mulch. or find a source for crab shells to grind up, The rabbit hole just gets deeper. You can make a great notill/living soil.

• Like Like x 3