Pots sizes?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Norcaligreen, Feb 19, 2017.

1. So I'm currently running 4-15 gallon smartpot pots in a 4x4 tent and I'm going to be doing a scrog. I'm purchasing another 4x4 tent and my question is do you think 15 gallons are over kill or is it allowing the plants to grow bigger and allowing it to build bigger bud or more of it? Should I use 5, 7, or 10 gallon?

I kinda thought might be over kill because it's a controlled grow only letting them get so big. Unlike when I do outdoor I let them run wild and get as big as possible and in even bigger pots.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. the point of having Huge Pot Size is not overkill if your utilizing your potsize correctly, i am going too be running a 4x8 tent with a scrog net inside and 8 15 gallon regular round pots!
    i dont use "Huge" Pots because i want huge plants, i use huge buckets because i run CoCo and if i dont upgrade the potsize going into flower well then i have to do multiple feedings in flower every single night too avoid deficiency's but having a huge potsize in coco allows me to only water once a day in drain too waste vs 3 times a day with smaller buckets! and well in return this also beef's up my yields you need a huge root system if you want huge yields unless your in hydro then you just feed more often.

i would run 13 gallon's or 15 gallons but some members will say 7 gallons is enough which completely depends on your growing situation
    But imo grab a huge root system for huge bud size! not for huge plant size lol
    i will be transplanting from 2 gallon buckets in veg too 15 gallon buckets in flower and i can guarantee you my entire root system will fill in that 15 gallon bucket
    on my friends last grow he used 4 13 gallon buckets in a 4x4 yielded 1.5LB on the light of pure dry nug weight but when we took his plant out of the bucket too see the root system it had completely wrapped itself around the 13gallon bucket who ever says root's dont grow in flower are straight tripping.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Awesome man thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention I'm using soil. But yeah that's what I want also is a big root system.

• Like Like x 1
  4. honestly i veg in 3 quart too 6 quart buckets and i always transplant into huge buckets pre flower i honestly believe this helps with my yields. your welcome mate ive ran 3 gallon buckets before and 5 gallons they dont compare too a 13 or 15 gallons root system same plant size.

5. Its all depends on the amount of plants you plan on growing and if you have adequate light for them. You just dont want any wasted light. So your 15 gallon pots should be fine if your growing 4-6 in a 4x4 space (or whatever would fit idk I use 16 3 gallon pots in a 4x4) under a 600w-1000w. If you dont plan on growing them for very long then big pots arent the way to go you'd want smaller ones. Larger pot = longer possible grow times.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. You can get the same yield from 100 little pots under 1000w as you could with 1 plant in a giant pop under the same light and same strain. The benefit of using more pots is if something goes wrong you can toss one without ruining your whole crop BUT it takes a lot more work to keep the garden going.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks for the advice. I am doing a 3 to 4 weeks veg and then flower for the photo period depending on strain. My p600 is equivalent to a 800watt hps. Lots of downward focus that why I'm going to build 2 cob leds and put them on either side for the p600. Thanks again.

8. General rule of thumb for pot size. 1 gallon per month of life of plant. If your max grow cycle is 90 days, 3 gallon pot will suffice , up to 120 days 5 gallon pot will do. Anything larger is simply a waste of precious space.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum