Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Potentially harmful fumes?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Gavinator191, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Hi, I was recently smoking out of my bong and unfortunately the glass bowl piece fell and broke. I was very upset about it but I just quickly made another one using a tinfoil bowl fastened to a sharpie cap held together with duct tape. It worked perfectly, up until I was on the third bowl with my friends) it tasted very faintly) plasticy. We stopped immediately, worrying if infact what we we’re inhaling was toxic.

2. It wasn't good for you, but that small of an amount of that type of plastic is unlikely to harm you. Needless to say, avoid ingesting plastic! Not good! Sharpie pens are made from polypropylene or polystyrene based plastic, which contains no dioxins, the super carcinogenic, massively poisonous stuff to be avoided like the plague. So yeah...most likely no harm, but smoke weed, not plastic.

3. That was VERY wise of you to stop! Do NOT use it again! This poor kid didn't stop-
    (This article is poorly translated from French and has some unfamiliar words in it so I am breaking up the abstract to add a translation)

Fatal alveolar haemorrhage following a "bang" of cannabis (abst in English, full in French – 2011) Hémorragie alvéolaire fatale après bang de cannabis - EM|consulte

The new methods of cannabis consumption (home made water pipe or “bang”) may be responsible for fatal respiratory complications. We present a case, with fatal outcome, of a man of 19 years with no previous history other than an addiction to cannabis using “bang”. He was admitted to intensive care with acute dyspnoea.

Home-made bongs can kill! A 19 year old man who used cannabis died after being admitted to the hospital for breathing trouble.

A CT scan showed bilateral, diffuse alveolar shadowing. He was anaemic with an Hb of 9.3g/l. Bronchoalveolar lavage revealed massive alveolar haemorrhage.

They scanned his lungs. He was anemic and bleeding in his lungs.

Investigations for infection and immunological disorder were negative and toxicology was negative except for cannabis. Antibiotic treatment was given and favourable progress allowed early discharge.

Drug tests were negative except for cannabis. So they patched him up and sent him home.

Death occurred 15 days later due to alveolar haemorrhage following a further “bang” of cannabis. Autopsy showed toxic alveolar haemorrhage.

15 days later he was dead due to his lungs hemorrhaging from the acid fumes from his home-made bong.

The probable mechanism is pulmonary damage due to acid anhydrides released by the incomplete combustion of cannabis in contact with plastic.

The cause of lung damage was the burning cannabis contacting the plastic, creating acidic fumes.

These acids have a double effect on the lungs: a direct toxicity with severe inflammation of the mucosa leading to alveolar haemorrhage and subsequently the acid anhydrides may lead to the syndrome of intra-alveolar haemorrhage and anaemia described in occupational lung diseases by Herbert in Oxford in 1979.

This causes a double whammy on the lungs- there is a direct poisoning from the inflammation leading to severe hemorrhaging of the lung tissues, and anemia.

It manifests itself by haemoptysis and intravascular haemolysis. We draw attention to the extremely serious potential consequences of new methods of using cannabis, particularly the use of “bang” in homemade plastic materials.

The symptoms are that patient starts coughing up blood as his lungs melt, and eventually the patient drowns in his own blood. People need to be very careful about what they use in making bongs for cannabis!

I post this abstract up every few years to remind all of you to be careful! Buy a small glass pipe or invest in a decent bong! Even using rolling papers are better than a bad DIY bong!

Granny