Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Potential link between MJ and Testicular Cancer

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by HandyCriminal, Feb 9, 2009.

1. http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/09/health.pot.cancer/index.html?=141

an excerpt from the article, which you can also find on Fark today.

"Frequent or long-term marijuana smokers could have about double the risk of nonusers, according to the report in the February 9 issue of the journal Cancer.

In the study, a team led by Dr. Janet R. Daling of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, Washington, interviewed 369 men between the ages of 18 and 44 from the Seattle-Puget Sound area whose testicular cancer had been diagnosed. They compared those men with 979 men who lived in the same area, but did not have cancer.

Overall, 26 percent of the testicular cancer patients were pot smokers (15 percent who used daily or weekly) at the time of diagnosis, compared with 20 percent of men without cancer (10 percent who used daily or weekly)."

Any thoughts? Anyone plan to consider the massive amount they smoke daily? I'll admit it made me pause mid-morning bowl. But only for a second or two.

2. what is that name again... HYPOCHONDRIA.... and it's the best way to make people stop doing something. and if you google something like "Marijuana helps testicular cancer" you get so many answers of yes... you guessed it... how it is linked to one another.... my guess is... the dudes they asked.. had a pain in there nuts and was like what the fuck? im gonna go get high and get rid of these pains. thats my first thought when i'm in pain... I don't know... I don't believe it...

also check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianty

3. Fuckkkk that! Mary Jane would never do such a thing to me.

4. thats like saying.. "drinking milk makes your penis shorter"

just bullshit a person said.. no way to prove it

5. [quote name='HandyCriminal']

Overall, 26 percent of the testicular cancer patients were pot smokers (15 percent who used daily or weekly) at the time of diagnosis, compared with 20 percent of men without cancer (10 percent who used daily or weekly)."

quote]

This proves nothing, it just shows that of the sample population they surveyed had an unfair balance of potsmokers to non-potsmokers. Potential link? Yes. Will I take this study seriously? No

6. Even if marijuana means the end of me, I'll take the quality of life I'm living now over quantity of years. :bongin:

7. "The study is based on findings from 369 men with testicular cancer who were questioned about their history of cannabis use."

This is no way to do a study. Anyone who has any experience or even rudimentary logic in their heads would know that this "study" reeks of agenda.

This study leaves wayyy too many facts out of it, including correlating the studies with the total percentage of cannabis users in the population, etc.

One can't even begin to point out all the flaws - this study is complete and utter garbage and propoganda.

Retarded world.

8. I'd assume 15% of any given group smokes pot. Im not worried. Id be more worried at a in vitro test showing thc to cause cancer. Currently in vitro testing is overwhelmingly finding evidence that cannabinioids kill cancer cells.

9. I dont know if any of yall have ever taken college or high school statistics but my professor always says that you can get statistics to say anything you want.

10. yeah my teacher preached that too..

this looks like a perfect example of that...

"Overall, 26 percent of the testicular cancer patients were pot smokers (15 percent who used daily or weekly) at the time of diagnosis, compared with 20 percent of men without cancer (10 percent who used daily or weekly)."

Overall a pretty weak argument statistically if you ask me.

11. yeah studies like this never really make sense...

i could say 4 out of 5 people smoke weed that i interviewed. but i could just pick a random 5 people out of a hundred i interviewed and 4 of them happen to smoke.

i dont know if that makes sense, but thats kinda what i remember my econ teacher saying in HS. but not about pot, it was totohpaste or somethign.

12. the results are actually very inaccurate. sexual interaction is the number 1 factor in getting testicular cancer. 1 in 2 men have prostate problems. the men who stop having sex with their wives or have sex only a few times a year are far more likely to have testicular cancer.

to help prevent prostate problems you have to have sex at least once a month. in the study they needed to ask do they or how often do they have sex. one who ingests cannabis increases sperm count requiring more sex then a non-cannabis user to keep a prostate healthy. so in a sense the study is somewhat correct but it is truly not.

13. Thats like saying marijuana is related to breast cancer in woman. Yeah alot of smokers might show it up. But no way is it even related.

The study itself is a joke cause its so bs on asking a few people who have it and who are not who smoke. You have to actually have a legit research. thats just some bs doctor being paid by the gov or Phram .

FUCK THEM

14. This is retarded. considering what like 80% of people in america have admitted to using mary jane in their life, and im sure theres around 20 something percent or americans who use it at least once a week.

so basically you could do this study with ANYTHING, and you would get an abundance of pot users/ ex pot users in the group.

If you smoke pot... you are 2X more likely to....

EAT CEREAL!
    CATCH THE COMMON COLD!
    SNEEZE!

ridiculous

15. Damn. I am reading through the article and they only said 26% of ppl w/ testicular cancer are smokers.. If it really caused it, wouldnt that number be way higher?? Like 80%?!
    You take 100 people, and I bet at least 26% are smokers.

Seems like a shitty study, though if it was proved true, i would quit tomorrow.