Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Pot?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Efes, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Would you say 'pot' is a dated term? I don't actually know any smokers who call it pot.

I think the only people who do are:

A) Older people who probably smoked in the 60s/70s when it was a more common term

or

B) People who don't smoke, or at least don't smoke very often

2. Only parents call it pot lol

3. #3 Messiah Decoy, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
    The term probably bothers me because usually people are dissing weed when they call it "pot".

4. Yeah I've never once called it pot.. it just doesn't feel right.  

^^this.   

At times i've felt like saying "lets get high" or saying "i'm so high" to be kind of off too for some reason.  Probably because I started using cannabis for medicinal reasons more than recreational ones.  Also probably because a lot of people around here are druggies and they call what they do getting high...

5. I had to think... I have never called it pot...

"Hey man, I got some pot!"

"Wanna smoke some pot?"

seems dated...

6. It was the medical marijuana movement that did away with calling it pot. It seems like most people who don't call it pot are so young they weren't around before medical marijuana. Nothing wrong with calling it pot. The only negative connotation comes from what you put on it. Own your potheadedness.

Why use a term that is used mostly by prohibitionist?

Let them keep that word we have plenty of others.

8. If I'm talking to someone who isn't 420 friendly I'll call it pot or marijuana because weed makes it sound kind of trashy.

9. I call it pot occasionally, the only connotations that a word has are the ones you associate it with. It's a dated term, but that dosent make it bad. It's actually of Spanish origin: http://blog.dictionary.com/pot-marijuana/

Why have fear over a word?  They're called head shops because they're for potheads.  Like any other word in the world, the word POT only has the emotion that you see in it. Why not just use words you like to use?

11. I usually say either weed, pot or grass.  "Retarded" or not, it's what we were calling it while some of you were still swimming around in your dad's ballsack and shitting your Huggies.

12. I am 22, I say pot. Get over it. :bongin:
    I also call it weed, cheeba, cannabis, herb, l'herbe, 大麻 (Taima), grass, green stuff, bud, reefer, weed-a-juana, and of course the devil's lettuce.

I don't fear the word. I just realize it has a negative connotation that doesn't go away simply by using it more often.

It's like calling cannabis "dope". Prohibitionist use these terms because they know they're very basic and negative.

I don't think of the word "pot-head" when I hear the term head shop. Even if the word derived from the word "pot-head" the fact that they left out the "pot" part of word is telling.

Head shop sounds like smart shop. It implies a cerebral function.

This is the part I don't get.  What is the negative connotation of the word "pot"?  

15. POTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOT
    POTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOTPOT

16. #16 BloodBooger, Feb 15, 2015
    We called it pot. We also called it weed, smoke, stash, grass, gold, bud, mota, lumbo, homegrown, dope,ganga, herb, mary jane, reefer, shit and toke....theres nothing new under tth sun. Todays stoners seem to believe they invented this shit. Who gives a flying fuck what its called? Seems only anal retentive types give a damn what its called. You silly youth would be better served by just smokin yer shit and enjoyin yer high instead of dumping on the aged. By the time some of you lucky ones hit about 40, youll look back at some of the little boy shit you wrote and believed and say to yourself " goddamn...was I ever THAT fuckin stupid?" Why hell yeah....you were. And YES , calling it "pot" is "dated" ...so fuckin what? Loosen up...enjoy life...stop being little anal pricks.

17. #17 Messiah Decoy, Feb 15, 2015
    The common terms for cannabis from best to worst.

cannabis > mary jane > buddha > bud > green > > trees > ganja > weed > smoke > herb > loud > grass > pot > reefer > dope

C'mon, think about the type of people who call weed "grass", "pot", "reefer" or "dope".

They usually hate weed. We should have our own terminology instead of sharing their anti-drug terms.

People like Nancy Grace and Bill O'Reilly love calling weed "pot" or "dope".

Nuff said.

19. #19 The real spliff shady, Feb 15, 2015
    calling cannabis pot is like calling a black person the n word or a Jew a kike or an asian a chink. The word has been negatively associated with what it is describing. Like I'm indian and in India it's called bhang, but when I tell my parent I smoke MARIJUANA they think its some horrible drug cuz' the only place they have heard the word is on the news where they tell burr lies and talk burr shit about it, but when I told them MARIJUANA and bhang are the same thing they were surprised and relieved because they know bhang is the softest drug and in India even drug users laugh at bhang smokers cuz' it's known as a drug for softies. The only negative thing according to indian parents is that it makes you look poor cuz in India the rich people smoke hash and if you give someone weed its an insult. In a similar way the word pot is mainly used to by people making it look bad so when people use the word pot all the negative lies come to mind. I personally think it makes the person using the word sound like an idiot.

20. ...There's an error with your post...you didn't mention the word pot enough........................................pot