Pot size?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by itguy, Jan 24, 2009.

1. I've read that I need a pot size that's between 3 and 5 gallons. I'm having a hard time finding inexpensive pots that fit this criteria - home depot has some but they're ~$10 each including the saucer part at the bottom.

I found some at another retailer that are 12"x10" (labelled as a 12" pot) - these seem a bit small, probably around 2.5 gallons.

Any suggestions?

2. If you're already at home depot buy the big orange 5gal "homer paint bucket" for $1-3 and drill/poke some holes in the bottom of the sides. Alternatively go to a grow shop and buy one dollar thin black plastic pots for $1 each. I used 2 gal black plastic pots to start and transplanted to the homer paint bucket after 3-4 weeks.

3. How do they drain? What size is ideal - 3gal or 5gal?

4. They drain just like regular pots. I only use grow bags except for when I plant seeds into cups. They make transplant a breeze and I feel minimize shock. I have used a regular black pot before and will for an outdoor grow but not anything indoors. Did I mention grow bags are like 10 for 2 bucks, some times even cheaper.

5. Ok you guys have me sold on the bags - I'll order some via link provided.

Again, lol, what's the best size to get? I start my seeds in solo cups and then would prefer to transfer only once. Are they sturdy enough for LST?

Also - on that link they sell fox farms ocean forest for $24 - is that per bag? How many grow bags can be filled with 1 bag of ffof?

Thanks all!

6. It really depends on how big you want to grow your plants.....and how much space you have to your lights. 3 gallons bags are adequate for plants up to 3-4 feet, but a 5 gallon bag allows for extensive root growth which allows for more overall growth. Either way you go, you'll have a lot of room to move. For the price, you could get some 3 and 5's and do a comparison grow. Let us know how it all goes for you and good luck.

7. Glad you went with the bags:hello: The size of the bag depends on how much space you have and how big you want your plants. I personally use 3 gallon bags for my space and it serves me well. I buy the big bag of FFOF and have some left after filling 4x3gallon bags but I also mix in a lot of perilite with my FFOF. As far your concern about being sturdy enough for LST, they are fine for it, I currently have my blueberry being trained and some slight training on a few others. If you wanna do the math the bag of fox farm will list how much it contains in dry quarts. There are 4 quarts in a gallon. Keep it green

8. Your avatar is a cat -- if you have a cat, you can use plastic kitty litter bins, they're free since since whay you pay for is the kitty litter. The large containters (the super-size ones that hold about 40lb of litter) are about 4-4.5 gallon.

9. I have a catgenie - check it out:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeJ7hU5zcuQ"]YouTube - CatGenie - Cleaning Cycle[/ame]

...it hooks up to the toilet water supply line and discharges into the bowl. I hit a button on the catgenie, and flush the toilet after ~30 minutes. My house doesn't smell like cat *at all*. It's pricey but we have two cats and it works great - you just have to clean it once a year or so and replace the cleaning solution once a month.

Thanks all for the recommendations - I am going to get both bag sizes..