Pot size ??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by DeeplyROOTED87, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Hello everyone I'm going to start growing indoor and I was wondering what is a good pot size for growing in a tent? I believe the tent I'm getting is 5x4x6. Since this will be my first time doing indoor I think I'm going to start with 3 plant and then work my way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. You growing in soil or coco?

Soil typically the bigger the pot the bigger the plant.
    Coco 3gallon/12 litres the biggest.

3. Why?

J

4. Coco holds water and needs a wet dry cycle.
    Soil does better with constant watering.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ok cool thanks. I'm going to do super soil with some cover crop

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Thats complete rot. I run a 6 gallon pot but would rather a 20 gallon. Roots = fruits

7. How long do you veg your plants?

8. All depends on your plan.
    You wanting to veg your plans 2 weeks or 2 months? Using one tent to veg and flower? Doing perpetual grow?
    I do a perpetual grow and veg for 2 months or so. I use 7 gal fabric pots with coco and perlite.

9. I veg for 5 weeks and I use 2.37 gallon air pots with coco and perlite.

10. Why such a small pot?
    Forgot to mention I'm trying to only do 4 plants in my 5x5. I say trying for 4 because I recently had to stuff my tent. It has 6 right now and it's too crowded. 3 are going to be out in a week tho. Chop time.

11. There are so many factors in figuring what pot size is truly reasonable, think of it this way.... you have a six foot tent, your lighting will take, nine to twelve inches, then the max distance from your light to top of plants, that will be another twelve or so inches, then if you use five gallon pots that will be another ten to twelve inches, so in all reality, you will have at most 2 1/2 feet of plant space to grow height wise, which is never enough space, trust me, that restriction will piss you off at one time or another.

12. I yield about 8oz. per plant. I don't know how much more I could yield with a 5 week veg by increasing my pot size by 3-1/2 times. It seems like a waste of medium to me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I reuse my medium so it isn't a waste :)
    But what you got going on works for you

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Depends. I find it varies grow to grow for me. Some times the plant will fill out quicker than others and also when you say veg do you mean from when you stick it under your big light or do you mean from seed.

From seed its like 2 months. It will take me between 3-4 weeks from seed to establish a good root system that is strong enough to be transplanted into my 6 gallon auto pot. Once its in there i would veg to fill space maybe anorher 2-6 weeks depening on if im using hps or led. I found hps will fill the space quicker than led but led will have closer nodes and take longer to fill out a scrog.
    When i veg for 6 weeks i do worry about getting root bound.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Those air pots are decent tho. They create fantastic root systems. If you wernt using them youd struggle to get 6oz on a 2.5gal pot

16. I was thinking the exact same thing. Some people count veg time as when the seedling is already grown for a week or two. I count veg from the time I cut a clone or time I plant a seed.

17. I count veg when it sprouts.

18. Id like to ask about the air pots tho. Do you feed them from the bottom ? I ask cause the ones iv seen have some sort of raised base of the pot ??

I was thinking of getting a tray and an air pot and running my autopot res and easy valve to fill the tray for feeding . Do you think it would work ?

19. I hand water from the top. I can't comment on your autopot question because I have no experience with them. I apologize to the OP for getting off track.

20. Everyone has different methods of course - but I don't personally believe in wet/dry cycles.

Or small pots! Lol

But either way - peace! ;)

J

• Winner Winner x 1