Pot size vs. plant size

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Swami, Mar 5, 2012.

1. I would like to hear what size plant you got out of your container to see if we can get some general idea as to what is possible.

Please give pot size, height, veg time dry harvest weight and strain. Photos would help as well.

Would be nice to collate and perhaps make a sticky; everything from beer cups to 30 gallon containers.

I would start, but all of my plants have deliberately kept small, so my contribution would not have much merit.

2. When i worked at nurseries, they usually said a plant should be abletonfit inside it's pot.

Most people don't care about plants and use 5 gallon buckets for even trees and bamboo.

Sad.

I'd say a cannabis plant would prefer a 50-60 gallon pot.

3. Max, your well intended I can see, but that is way overkill. The pot optimally should be 1/3 the size of the plant. This takes into consideration good soil and proper nutes.

FYI I have a bamboo collection (10 types had over twenty) and Bamboo actually does well root bound but most plants don't.

4. True.

I don't have experience in cannabis plants though.

But this was just a general thing, I'm sure some plants are very adaptable.

I had a succulent do well in a 5 gallon for years and it's fine, I cloned a piece into the ground and it's fucking growing like a weed.

5. A foot a gallon is what I've always gone by.

6. I am not asking for a recommended growing guideline. I want to know the limit of what is currently possible.

7. If you want to go the limit then go hydro of some sort.

8. Are there people here without a reading disorder?

9. Shit your right, I did have a reading disorder....lol 1st grow indoor so I have no real data yet.

10. [quote name='"Swami"']I am not asking for a recommended growing guideline. I want to know the limit of what is currently possible.[/quote]

I was responding to a different post not yours. I guess I'll quote next time.

11. You may not get what you are after with that kinda attitude.

12. I use 10 quart wastebaskets for pots and have run a few different strains and average around 2-2.5 feet with 14 day veg. and about 3.5 feet with 45 day veg no lst.

13. Pot size is just one of many factors associated to yield. A single plant in a 65 gallon smart pot does much better under under 4000 watts than 400 watts;).

14. Lets atleast get one okay answer here.

The biggest plant I've grown has been a 9foot sativa indoors out of a 4 gallon pot filled with fox farms. It was out of a pack of "super" seeds from hgs. It yielded just shy of 3.5 ounces. It was grown under a 600watt with 5 other plants with a 7 week veg.

My current grow Im doing a lot of sativa and indica plants in 2 gal pots and the majority of the sativas are in the 5-6 foot range while the tallest indica is just under 4'. Only veged for 4 weeks that grow. The grow isn't quite finished so I can't say for yield but the strains are Sour Cream, THC bomb, Jack 47 and Super Silver Haze.

15. That's pretty impressive! Did you use any side lighting?

One day I am going to grow a giant like that horizontally so that it would look sort of like this:

____()____()______()_______()______()______()______()_
    |
    _\__
    \__/

I would trim off all of the lower branches and foilage and probably light with T5s or two 250 HPS or LED lamps. Seems like it would better utilize the light in this fashion.

Forgive the crude representation.

16. Take a look at my last grow, link in my sig.

I had 4 plants in 5 gal pots, did SCROG, they were all under 1 foot tall and avged 4 oz each.

17. Did you notice your post count Swami? see what you did there.

Date: Jun 2011

18. Very nice job! :hello: Seems you have inspired many a journeyman grower on here.

Perhaps my main metric should be ounces per pot rather than height per pot as that is the real goal.

19. Hi there got a few questions just hope someone takes time to read them and help a fellow in distress  :wave:  :confused_2:
    i'm a new grower and want to know the best plant pot for use. i've heard it's best to use a 5 gallon pot, but if that's so why do people start of in small pots and keep swapping the plant to a bigger pot. surely this will keep disturbing the plants growth, or is it because if a plant has a lot of room to grow in it will concentrate growing its roots rather than the flower.
    i put my plants outside in the sun and most of the leaves dried out, i thought they liked sun? but they didn't have much water out there. is it ok to put them in the sun?
    i'm growing indoors and can't guarantee a 12 hour light/dark cycle will this have an effect on my plants?
    i'm thinking of standing my plants in a flood tray and fill it with 8 litres of water and 15ml of tomato feed will this damage my plants or help them and do i have to have a certain number of plants to do that?
    also phew! nearly there  :hello: how do i know when my plants are ready to harvest?

thanks for all your help you wonderful people  :yay:  

20. My Jedi OG Kush was in a 3 gal pot and yielded 121g dry buds plus 65g popcorn/trim for budder.

5wk flower, 400w HID, 60day flower. First indoor mmj grow.