pot size..HELP!?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by frOstd, Aug 18, 2009.

1. how should i do this? what height is the maximum for 3 gallon pots? i want a decent sized plant. leaning towards 5ft-6ft. also, when can i transplant my plant into my 3gallon pot? is there a difference between transplanting it from a seedling to slowly transplanting to bigger pots?

2. it depends on the plant and pot size, and also the lighting
    if you put them in 5 gallon pots they will be bigger than the 3 gallon
    start the plant in a beer cup and then about 20 to 30 days later transplant into the 5 gallon pots

3. what would be the limit of a 3 gallon pot vs a 5 gallon pot? your saying, if i were to grow the plant the same exact size, the plant would be thicker and bushier in a 5 gallon?

4. if you want it bigger put it in the 5 gallon.. gives more room for roots to grow thus giving the plant more support to grow bigger.

5. rule of thumb-big pots=big plants. and if you really want big plants, plant them directly in the pot your going to use,you get no root restriction and no transplant problems and this also encourages branching wich = bigger yeild.

6. The rule that is most widely accepted is:

(age from seed)
    2-6weeks (4inch pot)
    6-8weeks (2gallon pot)
    2-3 months (3gallon pot)
    3-6months (5gallon)

7. no you should only transplant once
    i have seen this in many different grow guides by the best growers
    so only transplant once

8. Indicaisgood is correct....the bigger the pot the more potential the plant has for growth. Ideally, if you can transplant your seedling directly into its permanent home, you are better off. No hassle with root damage, shock, etc. In this case, bigger is better....

9. My current grow uses 3 gallon grow bags and the plants are a tad over 2' tall during flowering.

10. If the plant has had a few wetting/drying cycles and is planted into peat based soil, there will be no transplant shock to speak of because the peat will hold its shape and the roots will be undisturbed.

But if you put a tiny plant into a huge pot, you would have to be careful not to swamp it out when watering. This means less frequent waterings would be required, which decreases gas exchange to the roots and as a rule slows growth. So overall Id say there are some good arguments for more frequent transplants if possible.

11. thats a good point about overwatering a small plant in a big pot
    i never thought about that
    what i have done is start in a beer cup and after almost a month i transplant into her permanent home, which is an 8 litre pot

12. I start seeds or clones in 1 gallon containers and once I can see the roots have run all the way down into the drain holes in the bottom of the pot, I transplant them into 5 gallon pots.