Pot size for LST

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by haynow, Oct 8, 2009.

1. You guys might think I'm crazy, but I'm going to try LST for my first grow. I just read the great sticky on LST. I read in a different thread that for every 1ft of plant should equal 1 gallon of pot size. Would this be true for LST? I have a couple three gallon pots I would like to use. This may be my first and last grow for a while, so I'm trying to avoid buying another bag of FFOF to fill 4 5gal buckets. But, I would if that is what's needed.

BTW anyone have anything good to say about the White Russian strain? I didn't know what to buy and their description sounded good.

2. Bump. Anyone have an opinion at least?:confused:

3. im in my first grow too. LST'ing as well.

right now our babies are in 5 inch pots. we're planning on transferring in about two weeks to ten inches. i have no idea about gallon size. but i'd say they are about 12 inches deep...if that helps at all.

good luck! we've got years of bagseed to practice on. so no WW for us!!

4. I haven't done LST yet, next time though. I'd go with 5 gallon pots. Since you're growing sideways for awhile the vertical 1ft per gallon doesn't apply I don't think.

5. Yeah, I was kind of thinking that with LST the diameter of the pot would be more important than the gallon size. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. I guess I have a while to decide. I'm only on day 6.

6. i think...although i haven't checked back...that the diagram in the LST sticky shows ten inch pots. i'm sure you could go larger or smaller. depending on how long you want to veg.

7. You are absolutely right. I've read it several times, I'm not sure how I forgot that. Thanks!

8. my last grow was LSTd and topped using 1gal pots. final height was just over 5ft. plants had an outdoor potential of over 12ft but I used 1gal pots, LST, and topping to keep em short indoors. they needed water daily and couldn't be moved after ~3.5ft cause they were so top-heavy. LST was very difficult because of lack of anchor points but that was the only difficulty. good luck mon

9. I have been LSTing in 1 gallon pots too. I just use the plastic pots with the larger lip on the brim of the pot. I drill about 20 holes going all the way around the top of the pot, that leaves me plenty of tie down spots. Also, Home Depot sells a great plant tie-down rope that's made from plants.

10. You LST'd and still had a 5ft. plant? WOW maybe I have the wrong vision of this. I thought I'd end up with about 2ft at harvest. Thanks for the well wishes.

11. yeah haynow. I was real worried cause I only had 6'+ space. landrace Thai. 6-8" between nodes with a 400w HPS just inches away. also grew <3' hybrids in 1 gals at the same time with the same methods. ended up being a lighting PITA. hah won't do that again. learned a lot tho - topping is not as herm-dangerous as some make it out to be - thai is known to be extremely herm prone but I ended up with true Ms and Fs, and topping as early as possible is best. more than once if you want.
    currently got 4 MNS mango haze at bout 3 weeks. took a wild guess on which would be fems and xplanted 2 into 5+ gal pots. hoping for a male to do some pollinating and then will cull the crop to 1 short fat fem. fingers x'd that it's one of the 5gal babys. lol

12. Nice:smoking: Someone on the LST sticky said they would recommend topping b4 doing the first bend. Is that how you did it?