Pot size, 2gall or 5 gallon?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Imaninjak, Aug 6, 2009.

1. The strain i have chosen to go with is Blue Mystic from Nirvana (Blue Mystic).

I was wondering if i could get away with two gallon grow bags without reducing the yield any?

2. What are your plans for veg. time? How big do you plan to grow them?

3. Due to height restrictions, No higher than 4-4.5 feet.
    And i haven't planned a veg. time yet. I'm still educating myself on that.

4. So you'll want to start them flowering by the time they're about 2 feet tall. Well i think that considering your not trying to grow monsters you could squeak by with the 2 gal bags. But i think your plants will be happier and healthier in a 5 gal. Are you considering the 2 gal for space reasons?

5. More for not having to use as much soil, space issues that might arise.
    How about 3 gallon bags?
    What are the average dimensions of a 2/5 gallon grow bag in diameter and such?

6. The general rule of thumb is "The bigger the roots the bigger the shoots". Do you have 4.5' overall including everything? For example I have a room with 82" of clearance total, 24" for my light, another 12" for spacing from the light, 10" for the 5 gallon buckets leaves me 36" for actual plant height. 36" of growspace is fine though as I can LST and keep them to about a foot of height during veg and it works out fine...

So without knowing more about your setup (space, lights, etc) it is hard to make a recommendation, but if you are looking for yield then go with the most dirt you can and LST them...

7. #7 Imaninjak, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
    My setup is pretty much a smaller version of this stadium grow Northern Farmer Stadium Grow , Vertical - Marijuana Growing

Im not afraid of the lights getting burnt by the lights seeing as they hang vertical. The main thing is how many plants i can fit per row comfortably. Height isnt an issue i think. 8ft walls, 3 tier setup for the racks only takes about 3ft of the height off the walls. So they have around 5ft to grow but obviously i wouldnt want them to take up the whole room.

[Edit] Oh also, i have pretty much decided on 3 gallon grow bags.

8. You'll also have to think about what type of lights you will run. For plants that large you will have to use HPS, so you have to figure the plant-to-light distance, taking into the equation the wattage of your light. If you are going for a stadium type grow why dont you aim for smaller plants? Smaller pots like you wanted, just a bit more of them.:smoking:

9. 4x 1000watt HPS is what i have. Its all i can afford and cool in my 8'x12'x8' room.

[Edit] I also have MH Conversion bulbs. Should i use them for vegging still? Or are they a waste of money.

10. yeah use those. Holy shit man what exactly do you have planned, if you don't mind me asking? Do you plan direct bulb light?

11. Yes, Vertically hanging lights with no reflectors.

12. yeah I've seen the pics and that link before, nice setup. I don't know if you'd be able to go quite that big with four 1000 watters, but you should be able to get close to that. Good luck man, I would go with two or three gallon plants. How long do you plan to veg?

13. Until they are 2'-2 1/2' tall.

14. My bad you'd already said that. Do you have your space set up yet, have you grown SOG or a large number of plants before?

15. The space isn't setup yet.
    Will be in about a month, month and a half or so.

No, most of my grows have been outdoor. I've never done growing indoors on the scale i am doing now before.

16. Good luck, that is quite the setup to take on. At least you're not jumping in totally inexperienced.

17. Haha, Thanks.
    Quite an expensive setup might I add, Total of the cost so far looks to be around $8k or so.

18. 1 gal per foot :) So 3 ft bag = 3 ft plant. Don't let them get any taller than 1.5 feet before flower in case it decides to double in height. I personally prefer to go slightly overboard on pot-size so my girls don't get rootbound, but I'm sure I could make do with less. One good option to look into for bags might be smartpots. They aerate well and air prune the roots, so you don't have to worry about getting rootbound. I have a 2.5' plant growing in a 2 gallon smartpot right now and it's happy, I just have check the soil religiously to make sure it doesn't dry out on me. It works really well, though they are a bit more expensive than standard bags, they are reusable.

19. If you read the whole thread you would have seen the type of grow he is giong for. he isn't looking for huge plants, he wants to do a stadium grow and that wouldnt work very well with five gallon pots.

20. I did read the whole thread. I didn't say anything about 5 gallon pots did I? I thought I suggested smartpots because you don't have to worry about getting rootbound. I'm not trying to be snippy, but all I was doing was suggesting another option that might work better in the same sized bag.