Pot or in ground

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by thekloklo, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Hey, me and a couple buddies are planning on growing some Powerkush x Afghan and were wondering what the benefits of growing in the ground were compared to growing in a pot, because the forest we're growing in is super rocky because of a quarry that was dug nearby, so we would have to bring retarded amounts of soil. Thanks for the help.

2. The weather is getting nice out spring is here and summer is coming, do the work and grow outdoors, take care of them and get a much better yield when its harvest time.
    Pots limit the roots, either way in the ground is much better and healthier.

3. the one and only reason i'm gonna do pots next year,,, is because of fuckin animals eating my plants.. i've lost 3 already.. there one day... gone the next. lol damn rabbits.

4. I use GeoPot indoor or outdoors, because in the pots more air can get to the roots and I can move the plants as needed for best sun exposure or shade. and in some cases, to move them to a safe place at night so they wont get eaten.

5. Honestly it depends. Even though its rocky you can find areas of soil and they will do just fine. when you use a pot they become root bound and will only grow to a certain size. Pots can work out great but you need a minimum of 5 gallons if you want to get anything more than a couple zips.

i prefer ground because the plants can get much bigger and you can have a much high yield in my experiences, which can result in a difference of ounces. But when you plant in the ground it is much easier for the plants to get massive, and i mean massive. some of my sativas ran 12ft. so you gotta take that into consideration.

6. Ordinarily I would agree, but the air (geopots) pots don't get root bound. They promote better root growth and better absorption of nutes with less medium and lees wasted nutes. You can grow in a 3 gal pot what you would need a 5-10 gal reg pot. I have a LowRyder in a 2 gal pot, that is 24” tall, very dense, and loaded with huge buds. I have no wasted nutes because I can see just how much water to give the plant by the runoff.
    I can also check the runoff for ph so I know just what's going on with the plant at all times. Easy to flush when the time comes.
    All in all, I will never put a plant in the ground again.

7. Please do your self a favor, if you are thinking of planting in pot, go to Geo Planter you can get 2, 3 ,5 and up pots. I get them 10 at a time and the price is right.

8. i'm gonna reaffirm my opinion on pots again... since another of mine got eaten over the last few days... i'm thinking about chicken wire now.

9. I have a plant growing indoors with a 9 way LST under 400w+ of CFL & t-12. I also have 2 plants growing outside that are the exact same age but are twice the size despite not having gone through any training. I'm about to transplant my indoor from a 2gal to about 20gal pot. Gonna kick some ass.

Don't put it into the ground unless all soil that will be touched by roots has been dug up and replaced with your preferred soil. But I would go with a pot, as long as its big enough to handle the plants whole life without getting rootbound.

10. In ground gives bigger yields.

11. I agree that plants in the ground get bigger, but you need to have the perfect spot that will not have to be moved for any reason, dig a big hole mix in the soil, hope nothing eats it, etc.
    But just to show the difference in using a plastic pot and a
    Geopot, look at the roots of the two root balls that were in plastic pot and the one in the middle that was in Geopot. Same plants, same soil, same every thing. except the Geopot never got root bound.
    You be the judge.
    MVC-001L.JPG

12. I have moved my outdoor pots 3 time since I put them out to get the best light,
    can you do that in the ground?:)