Pot Entrepreneurs Burned Up Over Floridas Charlottes Web Rules

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Green Wizard, Jul 8, 2014.

1. \t\tPot entrepreneurs burned up over proposed rules\t Dara Kam, News Service of Florida 7:49 p.m. EDT July 7, 2014
    <div>[​IMG]
    \t\t<span>(Photo: Getty Images/iStockphoto)</span>
    \t
    </div><span>10 CONNECT</span>TWEETLINKEDIN<span> 8 COMMENT</span><span>EMAIL</span><span>MORE</span>

State health regulators heard an earful from growers, lawyers and lobbyists seeking to rake in some green from Florida's new pot industry during a standing-room-only, rule-making workshop Monday.
    At the top of the complaint list: concerns about a proposed lottery system to award five organizations the chance to grow, manufacture and dispense a type of medical marijuana approved by Florida's Republican-dominated Legislature this spring.
    The first foray into the new medical marijuana law drew people from as far away as California who put themselves out as industry "experts," some nurserymen and women who could be eligible to grow the pot and some of Tallahassee's A-list lobbyists who inundated the state Department of Health with questions and suggestions.
    Complaints touched on every part of the new law, beginning with the number of dispensaries. Department of Health General Counsel Jennifer Tschetter said the agency's preliminary plan was to limit the number of dispensaries to five as outlined in the law and to bar dispensaries from shipping or transporting the final product.
    The state needs "way more than five" dispensaries, and the nursery locations are "very inconvenient for the patient populations," said Kerry Herndon, owner of Apopka-based Kerry's Nursery.
    Florida's new law makes legal in Florida certain strains of marijuana that are low in euphoria-inducing tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, and high in cannabadiol, or CBD. The law specifically limits the composition of the seeds, plants and final product, usually an oil or paste, to no more than .8 percent THC and at least 10 percent CBD. The combination is purported to eliminate or dramatically reduce life-threatening seizures in children with severe epilepsy. The law also allows patients who suffer from severe muscle spasms or cancer to be put on a "compassionate use registry" for the low-THC product as long as their doctors approve.
    The Department of Health released a proposed rule late Wednesday outlining that the new regulated industry would use a lottery to select single dispensing organizations in regions where more than one application was submitted.
    That idea raised the hackles of lobbyists and growers, who complained that the state would be putting epileptic children and other patients at risk by failing to ensure that the most capable organizations would be responsible for crafting the substance they ingest.
    "This process … seems to reward the promise to perform better than the ability to perform," said lobbyist Louis Rotundo, who represents the Florida Medical Cannabis Association.
    Tschetter said that the agency chose a lottery process to avoid legal challenges and to speed up the process so that patients could get access to the compound sooner.
    "We could find ourselves at (the Division of Administrative Hearings) for a couple of years talking about who could be the dispensing organization," Tschetter said, inviting the audience to suggest alternatives to the lottery.
    STORY:Scott signs Charlotte's Web bill
    STORY:Charlotte's Web law a cure for partisan politics
    STORY: Make no mistake: Medical pot is serious business
    Department spokesman Nathan Dunn told reporters after the meeting that the agency would consider revising the rule to do away with the lottery and that the agency has fast-tracked regulations regarding the law, signed by Gov. Rick Scott just three weeks ago.
    "Obviously we're very committed to implementing this law. That's demonstrated in the time frame with which we've already opened the Office of Compassionate Use, named the director and held the first rule workshop with feedback from people from around the state," Dunn said.
    Other concerns included the possibility that local governments might create zoning restrictions barring dispensaries, possible price-gouging because of the regional monopolies established in the law, and vagueness about who the actual applicant for the dispensing organization would be.
    Under the law, eligible growers are limited to nurseries that have been doing business in Florida for at least 30 years and are producing at least 400,000 plants. Herndon, who owns one of the 46 eligible nurseries, said he has been approached by numerous individuals seeking to partner with him.
    "I need help with the dispensaries, I need help with the compounding … but I don't know what level of ownership I should or must retain," Herndon said. "We just need to know."
    Tschetter, Office of Compassionate Use Director Linda McMullen and other top-ranking department officials also heard from Paige Figi, whose daughter is linked with "Charlotte's Web," the low-THC, high-CBD strain of marijuana distributed in Colorado that became the impetus for Florida and other states to pursue the non-euphoric pot to treat epileptic children.
    "My issue is, speed of access is critical," Figi said. "Many other states are modeling their legislation after what you guys have done."
    Joel Stanley, who with his brothers produces and distributes Charlotte's Web in Colorado, warned regulators about misconceptions surrounding the strain. Each plant is unique and requires quality-control measures to ensure that patients are getting the correct genetic formula, he said.
    "What makes Charlotte's Web particularly special is it does have that track record," he said. "It has that proven level of efficacy and it has a proven track record."
    STORY: Potshots fly back and forth in battle for medical marijuana
    But growers and others were also concerned about legal and other problems establishing the original crop of low-THC in Florida, as all forms of marijuana are currently illegal under federal law.
    "You have to make sure the law allows every participant to have this potentially incredible life-saving medicine … without the risk of prison," said Bob McKee, a lawyer, nurseryman and "Sanctuary Cannabis" partner who has hired prominent lobbyists Jon Costello, Steve Schale and Gary Rutledge. "We need to fix that. We need to get this right."
    Other states have looked the other way to allow growers to begin cultivating the plant, Stanley said after the meeting.
    It remains unclear how growers in Florida will gain access to the plant.
    "Very quietly," Fort Walton Beach Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz, who sponsored the legislation, said when asked how it will get into the state.
    Gaetz, a lawyer, said there is no immunity from state or federal prosecution for bringing cannabis across state lines.
    "But I know a few parents of children with intractable epilepsy who will be happy to go get it for you," he said.

2. It's funny how republicans talk about limited government regulation, and then soon as something like the devil's weed get's legalized it's all let's regulate the snot piss out of it. Lol.

3. This is gonna screw amendment 2 isn't it?

4. I think it'll fly.....there's too much easy money to be made...

5. I'm pretty sure the word is out and we are good for November. That doesn't mean we don't need to keep spreading the word but this is as most can see BS. Silly republicans tricks are for whores

Sent from my iPad Blood Eagle

6. Ammendment 2 should not pass ITS NOT FOR THE PPL its a poison pill

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411133796.338704.jpg

Florida mmj is not about helping the sick it's about monopolizing!!!

vote no

vote no

7. Same thing will happen if ammendment 2 is passed. People are going to be pissed when they really see what they are getting but go ahead and vote yes. You will be able to just vote and change the laws. Lol.

8. Are you siding with me? I don't understand?

vote no

9. You're right. It's better to just keep throwing people in prison.

10. Yes. If you can't grow vote no. Anything else is just a joke and a money grab. These people are to delusional or high to realize this so I stopped arguing about it a while ago.
    If it will be so easy to just vote changes in then why have they not voted this in years ago becuse that is what the people wanted.
    Eager beavers will take what ever they can get.

11. Well let's see all the knuckleheads that are there now I am sure will not benafit one bit from a mmj system so how does this stop people from going to jail for weed.
    I agree. People should never be put into jail for weed but this bill won't stop that sooooo.....

12. Am I misinterpreting the law? I was under the impression that if this passes that people could get prescriptions, and be in possession without being arrested as long as they have a prescription. How is that not keeping people out of jail?

13. Yep. It will be the ca of the east coast. Isn't that what everyone thinks.

The people that are in jail are not sick people that need meds. They are people that are to stupid not to get caught by the police. How will they benafit from this mmj.

How about just a real decrim bill. Less then an oz and it's like a fix it ticket. Wow. People wouldn't be going to jail while not being ass rapped by any MJ program.

I understand your point. My point is that although Amendment 2 does not include a personal grow clause for patients, it does allow doctors to prescribe for a wide variety of conditions. As far as this whole big money, monopoly talk, the structure and requirements are yet to be decided on the business end. You can bet plenty of voices will be heard once the florida dept of health starts to draft the regulations IF amendment 2 passes. But i'm not in this for medical, I'm in it for the next step, legalization, which for me, includes a personal grow clause. That is the road Florida is on. The medical vote will serve as a bellwether for our legalization efforts in this state. If Amendment passes, be on the lookout for a citizens initiative next election cycle. Vote yes and tell the politicians the game is changing.

15. I don't believe letting dr perscribe it for whatever they see fit will last in this bills final writing. In ca the most liberal pot state ever has every condition listed. That also might be the downfall to amnd 2. People will think it will turn into the next ca. Lol.

It's already written. That's what we are voting on. It's the the regulation of growers, dispensaries, caregivers, ect. that's up in the air. That sucks, I know.

Hopefully the majority of the voters want it to be the next CA.

17. Then that is a poorly written bill that I would not say is in the bag.
    Ca did the same thing with legal weed and prop 19. We could of have legal weed almost 10 years ago now ( voted on 2x) but the bills were written poorly for the consumer so we voted it down. Imagine that. Legal weed in the most liberal weed and state and we voted it down. So now guess what. We are getting the right bill in 2016 that will pass with ease.