Pot Brownies Under Attack

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Ragga, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Pot brownies under attack - PATRICK GAVIN | POLITICO CLICK

By PATRICK GAVIN | 8/2/10 11:52 AM EDT

The 'Saving Kids from Dangerous Drugs Act of 2009,' which passed the Senate unanimously on Friday, may help squash one of the sneakier ways of getting high: pot brownies. | AP photo composite by POLITICOClose
    Congress might be more clever than you think. The U.S. Senate approved anti-drug legislation that may help squash one of the sneakier ways of getting high: pot brownies.

The "Saving Kids from Dangerous Drugs Act of 2009," which passed the Senate unanimously on Friday, includes language that could make the fines and jail time for cooking and distributing pot brownies double those for possessing regular (uncooked) marijuana. From the bill:

(1) UNLAWFUL ACTS- Except as authorized under this title, including paragraph (3), it shall be unlawful for any person at least 18 years of age to knowingly or intentionally manufacture or create, with intent to manufacture, create, distribute, or dispense, a controlled substance listed in schedule I or II that is–

(A) combined with a candy product;

(B) marketed or packaged to appear similar to a candy product; and

(C) modified by flavoring or coloring the controlled substance with the intent to distribute, dispense, or sell the controlled substance to a person under 18 years of age.

(2) PENALTIES- Except as provided in section 418, 419, or 420, any person who violates paragraph (1) of this subsection shall be subject to–

(A) 2 times the maximum punishment and at least 2 times any term of supervised release.

"The text singles out 'candy products,' which is a broad grouping," writes Michael Whitney at FireDogLake. "[It] also specifies products 'modified by flavoring or coloring,' which expands the scope of the law. While the bill is ostensibly aimed at distributing drugs to people under the age of 18, it's broad enough to pose serious problems for both medical marijuana patients and for dispensaries selling these products to patients."

TAGS: Marijuana

2. Saving kids from the healthiest thing you can eat?! bahahaha. gayyy.

3. Well, that..... I think he was... autistic? Somebody linked an article to a mentally challenged child who.... I think it was Schizophrenia, actually...

Anyway, the mom gave her child pot brownies, and that was the only thing that ever did anything to calm the child down.

I disgusts me how the government continues to act like they actually give a damn about kids. The only reason they want to "protect" kids is so the kids grow into adults, and and pay their taxes. I mean, our government has already ensured our childrens futures to be no smooth sailing. Once this generation grows up and becomes knowledgeable, they are going to be pissed off at the state of affairs they got shoved into.

Somebody should bake a few batches of pot brownies and send them to congress.

4. Lol didn't even bothering reading the story.

Pot Brownies are amazing. Done.

5. Hey guys, this is no joke!

You think pot brownies are a laughing matter, but everybody knows they are a gateway to heroin cookies, and coke candy.

:rolleyes:

6. I lol'd, thank you. :)

7. marijuana makes most schizophrenics have worse "illusions" if you could call them that. So he was probably autistic.

8. There's a pretty easy way to get around the new law; simply cover the brownies in icing, so that it looks exactly like a pot leaf (or does that break rule A?)

[​IMG]

9. that article is absolutely ridiculous.

LEGALIZE CANNABIS

10. You know, I'm almost positive it was OCD now that I think about it...

11. That reminds me..
    Ocd and epilepsy are believed to have helped in the creation of religion..

source

12. Actually I have A friend who has schizophrenia, he says smoking pot makes his visuals less realistic and scary. That's just him though. He's also had LSD and shrooms, and on those he says his mind has "evolved out of being scared". I've seen him have an 'episode' myself. But yeah, everyone experiences psychoactive things differently.

13. I don't see how this is an issue for consumers over the age of 18? It appears right here that this is mainly a new law to protect children, not adults of legal age. I don't know, IANAL, but that's kind of how it reads for me.

One could also argue that menthol, clove, or other "flavored" cigarettes may fall under this new law as well (if people were to treat nicotine as it really is, a drug). Of course, that raises the question as to who says what the "natural" flavor of THC really is, and how far can we go to modify or mask that flavor. Subjective indeed.

14. Punishment for possession of pot is usually decided according to the amount. The more pot, the steeper the punishment. Now how will they know how much cannabis was used in the brownies? Or will they treat 1 kg of brownie batter as the same as 1 kg of cannabis flowers? What tests will be used to identify THC in baked goods? How will they determine (on the street) whether the brownies were cooked with cannabutter in the first place? "Oh look, you have a brownie...now you have to come with us to have these brownies brokendown and tested in the lab..."

This "law" is aimed directly at screwing over dispensaries that have labeled marijuana edibles on the counter.

15. So kids under 18 can make brownies but those over 18 can't?

Am I reading this right?

16. Hahahahaha....but you must focus heroine cookies is no laughing matter:mad::smoking:

17. hahaha thats pathetic sigh the goverment always finds something stupid to do

18. Don't they have better things to be worried about. Like oooooh say the War in Iraq/Afghanistan? Maybe National Secuirty? Even fixing Welfare/Social secuirty? Nope I guess not.

They're going to focus on Brownies with cannabis baked into them. Fuck yeah cause our government is full of geniuses like the man below and Obama.

[​IMG]

19. Hey guys we should outlaw weed brownies because they are the healthiest way to use medicine next to vaporizing.

How long before they outlaw vaporizers?

20. #20 .HiGhGuY., Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2010
    @ original poster... I doubt this will have any affect on MMJ clubs and edibles.

I don't know if its the same thing I'm thinking of, but I saw a vid online (local news) a little while back, and that kid was autistic. His parents gave him pot brownies or some other non smokable form of cannabis. and they said it's the only thing that helped.

Not that this has to do with the thread, but speaking of Neurological diseases and religion... here is a quote I came across that I find interesting.

"when one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."
    - Robert Pirsig