Pot and muscle gain

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by PickleHead, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Ectomorph here. ive been lifting quite a bit.. probably not as smart as i could, but mostly focusing on eating very clean. Im going to try upping the caloric intake by a bunch and doing more compound exercises, but im still feeling things out and seeing what works for me.
    Today i was doing chin ups and in the mirror looking at myself, and i am so defined, and have very lean muscles.. but i want them to be stronger, larger..

so i started thinking.. could pot make it harder to gain weight? have you guys been able to put on a lot of muscle smoking/getting high everyday? or like twice a week? i may stop for a month and bulk if someone else has had experience with pot hindering weight gain..

2. Why would pot hinder weight gain?

Pot is great after workouts. You get to relax the muscles and your appetite is increased.

3. I was pretty heavy into the gym last year nd I was putting size on while smokin all most everyday lol so na you shouldn't have a problem nd yeah nothing like a smoke after the gym to relax haha

4. I have been lifting/blazing for 2 almost 3 now and i went from like 175 down to 150 and im back at 165+ cut up. I have quit for periods of time inbetween but havent noticed any difference. Helps me get more sleep and relax after the gym and my pre.

5. okay.. yeah ill try and use it on days only after ive worked out already..

its odd sometimes i feel that i get the most efficient workouts when stoned cuz i can focus sooo deeply on form and pace, but i started to think the reason i wasnt gaining was because of pot somehow having to do with your metabolism or something. of course.. after i posted this i thought.. duh.. this is a pot forum, everyone here is biased.

6. I eat red meat, potatoes, smoke and pump iron. I spend the majority of the rest of my day working with my hands doing various handyman projects around my house or tending to my various hobbies and gardens and I'm buff as hell. I think if u just increase your protein and carbs, increase ur exercise and muscle building and decrease ur sugar intake of all kinds (drink only water/milk) u will get big. Just stay consistent. I lift weights everyday no matter what, rain, snow, shine and every time I get pissed I add another session, rather than acting out or responding angrily, I just turn it into positive fuel and add to the muscle.

7. I have been smoking and working out for four years, not once has pot interfered with my muscle and weight gains.

As a side note, watch out for supplements and other "remedies" instead.

8. One word..

Munchies.

9. the only way i could imagine it affecting your routine is because of how it speeds up your metabolism. you need an excess of calories to gain muscle mass. maybe if you smoke alot before the workout your body eats through all the goodies in your belly too fast? im just spitballin here it probably has negligible effects

10. Nope, I do it all the time. Just eat A SHIT TON and lift with weights. If your looking for a solid routine and want to get decently serious about it let me know and i'd be more than happy to help.

11. If you're skinny, don't worry about eating "clean" just get calories in. Nutritionally there's nothing wrong with a big fat cheeseburger, in fact if you throw veggies and condiments on it's a very balanced meal.

When you're trying to put on muscle, you just want to focus on eating more than you're accustomed to, because that's the reason you're skinny in the first place. Stuff like pizza, pasta, hamburgers, all that stuff is great for bulking.

Don't be afraid of gaining some fat, you will gain some if you're gaining muscle, it's pretty hard and not worth it to try and gain muscle without some fat as well. On that note, buy whole milk, and drink a gallon (4 liters) a day if you can afford it.

12. ill probably eat more hamburgers after that advice, but im gonna pass on pizza and milk. its more about how i feel when im eating clean, my skin feels and looks better, energy.. etc.. but yeah thanks everyone for the advice.. im gonna pm you ariesunleashed.

13. The pizza doesn't really matter, but I'd strongly recommend drinking whole milk. There just so many calories in there, it's much easier to get down a ton of milk than an equal amount of calories in solid food.

To each his own though.

14. Professional athletes smoke pot... didn't a NFL wide receiver get busted with a few pounds over the summer?

Joe Rogan smokes pot everyday, yet look at how beastly he is and how much he trains (and the fact that he said a lot of MMA pros & gurus smoke pot before fighting, exercising, etc.).

15. it effects me because when it comes down to hitting the gym or roasting a bone and chilling i always choose the latter, i am back in the gym today and hopefully off the weed for a bit to see if i get less lazy, but physically it shouldnt make a difference and prob help you eat more like others have said but weed certainly drains my motivation for gym and lots of other physical activities, just cant be fucked and would rather smoke but thats just me so you might be fine toking away

16. I almost always smoke weed before working out, whether it's cardio or weightlifting. I've gained a lot of muscle working out high. Mostly, I think it's because I don't feel the pain as much. Don't think it hinders your ability to gain muscle.

17. Nah there's no reason it would hinder your gains, it probably helps the gains my increasing your appetite.

Problem with me is once I smoke I lose all desire to work out :smoking:

18. Just force yourself to eat loads of high protein food, i have the same thing as you but i dont think weed makes a difference (i cant be sure because ive smoked and worked out all my adult life) but yeah you probably just need to eat more.

19. Pot has zero effect on this. Gain muscle = workout hard and eat WAY more and no way you don't achieve your goal.