Post your Lost Pet stories..

Discussion in 'General' started by Jane_Bellamont, May 18, 2017.

1. Never thought I would have lost my little nigga.. tortoiseshell pussycat. Had her for 2 years.

3 days and not a sign, not a sighting. Flyers have been posted, joined lots of online Facebook groups and online databases. No luck as of yet..

I'm actually surprised by how generous a lot of the people on these groups can be. There was one facebook post about a cat corpse in the middle of the road that had been totally fucked. . . they wanted someone with a strong gut to scrape it off the road.

Then someone eventually did .. they took the remains to the vet, but no microchip was found. Owner wasn't found, either. Still ... very impressed by how determined New Zealanders can be. We are a nation of cat owners, just like Japan .. perhaps moreso.

Due to our lack of high-rise buildings, our cats tend to be predominately indoor/outdoor. I've always been aware of the risks and dangers of having an outdoor cat, but then .. it was impossible to make my nigga indoor-only.

One time it was raining for weeks and she couldn't go out because she hates getting wet. Well .. she developed FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disorder). She had trouble peeing, blood would often come out. She would jump the curtains, scratch and claw furniture, etc. Took her to the vet and there were no crystals, pH was fine, no bacterial infections, nothing. It turned out to be stress and anxiety. The fact that she couldn't go outdoors .. caused her that much stress, and this is a pretty big enough house. All my roommates like her, too.

Anywhoo.. this kitty was/is a free spirit, a street nigga. I think it's cruel to keep some cats indoors .. some cats, that is, like mine. No one cat is the same.

I'm thinking of getting into the business of crafting affordable, electronic GPS-tracked, fluorescent cat collars with glowing LED's for visibility on the road.. and also helping people find their cats too.

Sometimes it feels like the world just doesn't give a fuck, because we are self-interested pricks for the most part. Then again .. ... the only way to change that is to quit bitching and help out, be the one who refuses to be a self-interested prick .. even if everyone on Earth is a self-interested prick. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cats are the only thing stopping me from taking over the World.:coolalt:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Quick update: I've just found my cat. She came running from the backyard back through the door. Lost 0.4kg New record: 3 days on the streets.

I'll have to buy her a GPS tracker, keep her indoors until it arrives. Once I've added it to the collar, I'll have to work on new safety strategies .. e.g. cat only allowed outdoors when I'm home, and no more than 2 hours at a time. Get the cat to come back home if she approaches the road.

Like riding the motorcycle .. having an outdoor cat doesn't need to end in tragedy if you plan ahead and make a bit of effort.

• Like Like x 1
  4. As soon as you posted about it she came home. You should have posted sooner. My Bernese Mountain Dog ran off chasing a rabbit in the mountains with his mate when he was almost grown. It took 3 weeks but eventually someone who had seen a flyer spotted him laying next to a freeway 60 miles from where he got lost. He'd lost about 30lbs and was really really glad to see me come driving up.