Post your favorite political meme

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cball, Aug 18, 2011.

1. why does the secret service only have 1 umbrella?

• Like Like x 1
  2. To make Obama look classy i guess. Maybe thats photoshopped?

• Like Like x 1
  3. possibly..
    I just don't understand why the secret service would let POTUS walk around in the rain like that.. not very classy on their part.

• Like Like x 1
  4. They have tons, they're just the cool, bulletproof kind.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. Classic government in efficiency

6. Umbrellas are for pussies any way, so i give him credit where credit is due.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I don't understand what the possibility of Hillary being gay has to do at all with politics.. She should be exposed for her corruption; not her sexual preference.

• Like Like x 3
  8. I agree that sexual orientation shouldn't matter.. however if she is lying about it and only married to bill for political reasons I think it speaks volumes of her character.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. I know this off topic but is math really the best example of an unimportant thing to learn. The Pythagorean theorem is massively important for understand physics, vectors, 3D calculus, etc. I would say there are probably better examples of unimportant shit to learn. That being said the meme is pretty spot on.

10. Mathematics are crucial for a strong society. This forum is itself a constant reminder of people not understanding how to read statistics, relativity and probability, and in turn, causing great damage with their democratic voice.

Many are shackled by not understanding the mathematics behind tax code in relation to civics, which has direct power over our lives. Equally important is understanding the national budget wherefore those taxes are drawn, so one can place ones vote with the sounder economic candidates.

Knowledge of math and physics is furthermore greatly helpful for all kinds of home maintenance, I've saved a bunch on fixing my own stuff, and all skilled craftsmen have an intuitive understanding of mathematics.

It's a firm base of logic, as well, in simple, reasonable argument. And that side of mathematics - logic (which is a word thrown around a lot but is a precisely defined school of mathematics) is also sorely lacking in society. It shows in our candidates, and our reactions to crises.

Finally, math has given me great financial and analytical power in my life. I build my future and the future of my family on the back of my understanding of mathematics, and those of us that do, engineers of all sorts, generally do well. It is a skill that is sought after.

There are a wealth of careers to pursue, of course, and a lot of them are really fun and lucrative without involving math. That said, it's undeniable that math is a speedtrack to make you wealthy and wise. :)

Edit: Math rant :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  11. #9455 MrThoughtCrime, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    [​IMG]

:p

• Like Like x 3
  12. Math & Science are important...but there's too much emphasis. There isn't that same kind of push for smart/creative kids to explore other subjects.

Tesla's genius is far more interesting to me, and imo will be more prominent in the future than someone who created Calculus or came up w/ a formula for a Right Triangle.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  13. I agree, math is a very misunderstood subject. I've heard the sentence "I'm never going to need this" regarding math at least a hundred times. Knowing math alone really shapes your world view and has countless applications to everyday life.Not to mention the doors it opens to subjects that heavily rely on it like chemistry and physics. I've studied all of these three extensively, even some on university level, and it really makes me understand the world as it is. Even though I gave up on becoming an engineer (it just wasn't for me) I'm very grateful to have learned all those things. A lot of it applies to growing too.
    I've since made the switch to psychology and it's surprising how much mathematics you need in that field too. Statistics are very important in psychology and you can't truly understand statistics without math.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Honestly I couldn't disagree more. I'm not saying tesla wasn't a genius and he didn't have good ideas or that we shouldn't teach about him but you are really underestimating the importance of calculus in science. Calculus is the basis for almost every physical science including chemistry, physics, engineering, etc. Think of it this way. One of the most fundamental laws is newtons seconds law which is literally a differential equations. The basis for almost all of our physical understanding of classical mechanics can be derived from a couple other physical laws and this differential equation. Trying to learn science without mathematical models, especially physical sciences, is like trying to fly a plane without wings.

There's no way you can come up with new scientific discoveries in physics, chemistry, and engineering without some basic understanding of math and calculus and probably even higher level math. You're not going to derive a solution to three body problem or be able to solve the wave function of heavier elements without calculus or modern numerical analysis techniques. We can use more creativity but scuentufuc creativity is not something that can be taught solely by studying tesla. It's something you gain through learning new ideas, new models, and gaining hands on experience working with these things.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I really don't agree with tesla on this one either. Seems he is implying there is non physical phenomena which I don't believe in as a materialist. Additionally how does one study non physical phenomena when our only means to study these topics is through physical phenomena. Even if such a thing did exist it doesn't seem we have any real means to study it.