Post your AACT(Active Aerated Compost Tea) recipes

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Farm Dawg, Dec 7, 2011.

1. i use the guano/kelp meal as top dressing every 3 weeks and AACT every two weeks after veg has begun and just add water other then that, along with my organic soil mix, zoning, layering and spiking methods. I also recycle my soil.

2. If your going to use this tea id suggest a minimum 24 hour brew if you want any significant amounts of mircobes in somewhat balanced ratios, no i have not tested it personally under a microscope yet, i was merely meaning that since i started using the bio bud in the AACT there seems to be more microbial activity from observations ive noticed in plant growth when compared to a control plant that was using the same tea without the bio bud.

3. Perhaps rev has published his assay of microbe numbers? Until he does remain skeptical. Anyone can say anything, but base your knowledge on fact, not stoner science. We have folks who post here, that have microscopes, and the knowledge to use them, and have tested recipes for microbe types and numbers.

Rev writes for a stoner magazine, he has no forum, so his ideas are not open to question. He won't post under his name here, because he can not back up his methods once you peel back the layers of bs. That he has trolled here for customers should at the very least give you pause, at best wake you up.

But whatever, man. If ya run with dogs, expect fleas......MIW

4. Not to be offensive, but I strongly suggest you read the topics by MicrobeMan here. He has done extensive research into microbe teas utilizing microscopes, video recordings and such. However your 24 hour brew suggestion is pretty spot on according to what I have read by MicrobeMan.

Also try this website for more scientific analysis of microbe tea brewing.

Microbe Organics

5. Already read all of microbemans stuff, i read peer accepted scientific studies by those with degrees and phd's etc in horticulture and biology mostly though, every thing ive read leads me to believe this tea recipe is the most effective one for cannabis growing, ive also tried dozens of other teas, this one responds the best with the cannabis plant, atleast all plants ive grown.

6. No offense intended, but it doesn't sound like it from most of your posts. Especially with you quoting recipes from subcool and the rev.

7. There is really no need to be so demeaning and self righteous, are you trying to disprove me for the sake of knowledge and learning/teaching, or for your own ego? Dont assume you know more then someone else, always assume someone is an equal.

Also just because he doesnt have time to debate with a bunch of 20 year olds online means nothing. He doesnt troll for customers so i dont know what your talking about, also he has a book coming out sometime in 2012, nor does he claim his method is the ONLY method, so how does he not back up his methods? If you do the research yourself its easy to understand the more scientific break down of his method. Also the Rev has probly been growing weed for longer then youve been alive, hes grown chem and everything in between. Also i dont get all my grow info from him, i happen to be starting post secondary this fall for horticulture (greenhouse/nursery production), so unless you have something to say that will make me think these methods illogical i will continue to utilize them seeing as my own research backs up his methods.

8. dude .... pot/kettle/black

9. Subcools soil mix is a joke, dont hate on the rev because he actually makes a living off of teaching, nor does he claim his method to be the only method, i dont see whats wrong with the rev seeing as hes an organic grow who uses water, AACT and soil lol.

10. Farm Dawg,

I'll try and give you an explanation here based on my experience and what I've learned over the years.

I think where people get confused is they see the plant succession chart
    9(i) Plant Succession
    See the picture on the site and insert another arrow on the bottom that goes from highly bacterial dominant to highly fungal dominant.

That being said, cannabis would fall into the annuals and grasses section, which means it prefers a bacterial dominant soil.

This makes people think they should brew a "bacterial" tea, as this is what cannabis would prefer.

However, the point of aerated compost tea is nutrient cycling. This means you have a full complement of bacteria/archea, fungal hyphae, flagellates, ciliates, etc....with good concentration and diversity. It's a whole circle of prey and predation that allows the nutrients to become plant-available.

Another important point is that it's much harder to establish fungi in your soil and also in your tea. Most are typically lacking.

When you put out an ACT, it's a shotgun approach. Get all the sets of organisms with as much diversity as possible and let the plant be in control. You see, the plant is putting out exudates (sugars, carbons, carbohydrates) into the rhizosphere that will select for the micro-organisms it wants around the roots. According to Jeff Lowenfels, plants are able to change their exudates quite rapidly to account for deficiencies and needs.

As far as your plant needing a different ACT for veg or flower this is my opinion on the subject:

People make veg teas or flower teas because they read that plants need more N during veg and more P during flower. Therefore, they make a "tea" that has higher amounts of these ingredients. While it's true that a plant utilizes higher amounts of these macro-nutrients during different stages of life, your ACT shouldn't change. Again, it's to increase your nutrient cycling, meaning that the primary nutrients should already be in your soil mix. Or you could top dress with a high P guano at the beginning of flower and apply an ACT to help breakdown and make these nutrients available.

I make the same ACT regardless and think that commercial companies that sell "bacterial" or "fungal" teas are missing the point and don't really understand ACT. You want a balanced tea for the reasons I listed above. Oh, and if they sell a "nematode" tea I'd walk the other way. Nematodes hate a liquid medium and will not thrive in an ACT.

Keep in mind that everything I just wrote applies exclusively to organic growing systems and ACT, not "nutrient" teas.

11. There in lies your weakness. ;)

12. i dont see whats wrong with the rev

Taking advice from a free-lance writer is always a path filled with problems and pitfalls.

Thanks for pointing that out. Again!

Cheers!

LD

13. No offense but from previous debates with you, you have proven to be a pompous, self righteous person and seem to know very little about organic gardening, i dont grow just cannabis so maybe that is why i have a broader understanding of the subject.

14. It is if you believe and utilize everything written word for word, stop assuming things dude, you make an ass of you and me. Hey wait arent you a freelance writer? lol

15. Link?

16. Why don't you be so kind as to point out exactly where I am failing. And please keep your insults to yourself. It just proves you are a child and makes discussions difficult at best.

cheers

Actually forget. I'm putting you back on my ignore list.

Grow up.

17. Yes I am. I'm also a technical writer with documents on file with ODA, USDA, OT, OTA, etc.

Before you could read the label on your grow store gunk I already have and reviewed their applications. I can tell you which plants in China produce specific ingredients like Soluble Potash before even reading the CoA.

What do you have to offer?

LD

18. LOL, like you were being so grown up in our last discussion, you had nothing but insults and nothing to back up your opinion so if your going to contiue to be so childish be my guest.

19. whispers

Kill him.

Attached Files:

20. lol and what does that have to do with understanding grow techniques/the soil food web? As far as im concerned your just like the Rev, just another writer with opinions, yet i can gurantee outside the online community the Rev is a more respected, knowledgeable person in the cannabis community, just because you utilize different methods doesnt make the Revs methods any less organic or any less effective, what exactly about the Revs methods do you disagree with or have to point out as being ineffective? provide examples, pictures and side by side comparisons (which ive done through both online research as well as my own studies/grows). I find it very insulting that you treat me like a child with no understanding of a subject ive been studying for the passed 7 years, you combat my methods with critizism and skepticism yet have nothing to disprove them? Making your opinion no more valid.