Post those SCROG screens

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by uneek, Jan 23, 2013.

1. No worries on the help man, helping others is just awesome and it makes me happy.

How to know what your main chute(s) are: if you didn't top/FIM then you have one main with two decent secondaries. Your MAIN will be the center stalk of the plant. The two secondaries will be the 2nd or 3rd node from the bottom (counting coydeldons).

Allow me to explain with poorly annotated photos from some of my past grows. I'm doing this 100% on my cell phone and my field of fucks is barren.

This is from an autoflower I grew. Yes, it's "different" but you don't top autos so it's all I have for an example.

Notice there is a single "main", the center stalk, that became my primary cola. I'd you notice, the "off chutes", the biggest ones are coming from the bottom. 2nd and/or 3rd node! Solid secondaries.

[​IMG]

When you top your plants, you turn 1 main into 2. If you're not topping, look up how to top. I learned how to top from Nug Buckets Mainlining Tutorial. I HIGHLY suggest the read - it's basically what you want to do with Scrog, but you won't need 16 mains like they get to. I have 4 mains on my Scrog.

Here is a single topping, two mains.

[​IMG]

The two mains come from the 3rd-5th node. Always go odd numbers, btw. I tried going even numbered nodes on another plant out of necessity and everything after that grows asymmetrical. Not what you want - symmetry is KEY.

Anyway, those two new mains came from the GROWTH TIPS at my 5th node. When I topped, they were just little, Itty bitty bushels of leaves and just a few days later - BAM, two nice sized mains. I trimmed EVERYTHING OFF but the fans to focus growth of the mains.

Lastly, I'll show you when you top twice, giving you 4 mains. Remember, everything you top, you double your mains. Next would give me 8 mains (which is where I stopped on this grow).

[​IMG]

So you now see my 4 mains. If I never topped (AKA high-stress Training or HST) my plant, my single main would be bigger BUT I would only have one! They catch up, don't worry.

Now that you have your mains understood (again, on cell phone and a bit scattered), to answer your question.

Yes, your main(s) are your big fat Stalks and your chutes are the growth tips that stretch out off the main to give you another cola or budsite.

To answer your question about tucking and the heights, it depends on how big your squares are on your net. Mine are 2in x 2 in. So when I move over just ONE square, I lose 2 inches under the net. Which is fine, more chutes will start popping up from those little fan-leaf arm pits as I like to call them. So, if your squares are 1in x 1in, I would let them go to about 3-4 inches up then tuck to give you 2-3 inches above the net again. Just make sure you get at LEAST a couple PAIRS of fan leaves above the net after the tuck of a chute. Meaning, not just the bushy top - make sure you get that 2 inches or so.

Clear as mud now? :) sorry, I'm no pro, but I can tell you that the success I'm having with this grow is REDICULOUS. Took this today, 3 weeks into flower.

[​IMG]

I could not be happier and a HUGE shout out to this forum for giving me the knowledge and condidence. I haven't learned the regulars yet, but I will. ;)

Let me know if you have any more questions. Happy to help out however I can.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  2. Thanks man, I appreciate the confirmation on the work. I spend a metric fuck ton of time in that garden trying to get and keep everything "perfect".

This is an 8x8 tent. I wanted to be able to work inside the tent this time. I have back problems (hence the meds) and bending over into a tent constantly was hurting me. This way I can go inside, close the doors, and garden. 55 gal drum on the outside and everything ran in with pumps and hoses and power lines and all kinds of wacky stuff! My local hydro shop took me to school. I had already bought my tent and I said "ok, I don't really have a budget. I want massive yields and I want to grow scrog in a 4x8 configuration. Set me UP."

I have to say, being able to work inside the tent, store nutes and tools and just SPACE is great. I had to put mine on an old concrete pad where a Gazebo used to be in my back yard! LOL!! I have a 10x10 easy up over it to protect from the rain.

Temperature control can be difficult but if I need heat, I turn off my PUSH turbine and leave the pull running at full speed. If I need cooling I have a portable AC unit I got at best buy for $200. It's a rolling, stand up unit with an exhaust pipe that fits in the tent vent holes.

Just some thoughts for ya. Thanks again man! I got a closers look at the overachievers today and let me just say... I ain't mad at them. They're going to be DENSE!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. Omg you are just amazing dude.. wow. Thank you. Thank you so much for all this info!!!
    Nug Buckets Mainlining Tutorial.. omg WOW. That is such a nice guide, explains everything then actually shows STEP BY STEP!!! Omg this is going to be so freakin awesome!! can't wait to hit 5-6 nodes!! ahhh!! check out my journal here, got some pics up too! all thanks to you man.. thank you!!

and dude! how big is your tent?? I want to reach that size sooo badly hahha. And how many plants do you have in each scrog? What kind of medium and system are you running in that? Is that like an Ebb and Flow w/ the tray? Are the hoods better like that? I've usually seen them connected together but I'm guessing separating them gets you a lot cooler temps? And what about those fans? I can NOT find any clip oscillating fans.. so rare! But I did find some 5in normal oscillating fans that I will try to mount in my small tent.

4. I've found my nets fill up faster when not topping. Topping you remove a bud site so 2 grow larger, which causes damage that plant has to heal and you remove a potential top. In a Scrog you bend the plant over which causes all the bud sites to grow into larger tops along the entire branch and most importantly not removing a bud site or causing stress from cutting. I used to top until someone asked me to try it once without. I'll never go back to topping unless it's to control a plant that's growing too fast for its tent mates.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yeah man I'm completely new so I had no idea.. but after seeing what stress can do.. man I'm terrified of topping or fimming.. as a new grower I'm giving so much stress to my new little babies enough already... gotta actually become more familiar with the plant first. still planning on using the scrog net though, thank you for your input!

6. Hey all first time scrogging hope I could get a little friendly criticism. I'm tired of being let down by the shorties gotta switch it up. I know my training from early on needed work. I'm using dutch pro seems to be working out. I do like how easy it is to mix up. But thank yall who reply ahead of time and keep it green.

1462243953849.jpg 1462243960987.jpg 1462243966727.jpg 1462243973788.jpg 1462243979697.jpg 1462243984021.jpg 1462244023393.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  7. First, what's going on with those 2 trees in the middle of your scrog? Second, you're really under utilizing your net. I have a 4x8 tent with 2 1000w hps. I run 8 plants under it. That gives each plant a 2x2 area to fill. You can go less plants with longer veg time. My suggestion is, next grow, cuz you sure don't wanna try and move those now, place plants closer together. That will help with lighting also. Overall the plants you look to be tucking looks like you got it.

8. Thank you very much for your time. I tried to veg longer but ran out of patience. I had to remove one plant that took up a 4x4 because I did not sex it. I qas kinda hoping my last seed of my favorite plant would work out for me. More in the mail already hahaha. So once I kicked the dicks to the curb I had a lot of open space and figured I would try it. The small one is a mob that was only a foot tall figured it would not hurt. Plus I feel I get better quality out of my runs. The Bush kept breaking no matter how gentle I was. So again figured a little off that one will make up the 3 months it was verging.

9. Now do you let the stand upright before throwing into flower or do you fold them all under and let the turn up when you flick the switch to 12 12.

10. Depends on your head room and what you're trying to achieve. I currently fill my nets 100% in veg. As soon as I get some more head room, guaranteed they'll grow considerably through

11. Ya I was in veg for 3 weeks on that one and I could not justify it so I flipped them. My training is off a little from seed and clones. I don't have enough tall enough plants that are full enough to put in there. Headway

12. Timing can be a bitch. My current run grew a little to big before my tent was open. They were close to 3ft. I tied them down threw the net over and then let them go. Not Ideal. It was almost like i was filling from the outside of the net toward the center. Branches crossing over each other. Lesson learned. It's about a week into flower now.

13. It will take a few times to get it figured out. Your 1st few times try not to overcrowd but don't be scared and cut the veg time to short. You can always fill the net slightly light, if that's not enough fill it more the next time. I don't know who came up with this 70 or 80% full before flip crap but every grow is different. First time I scrogged I flipped about 80%, disappointed. Didn't like that then tried 90%, disappointed. Didn't like that now I fill the net before flower. I like the stretch of flower being grown above the net, not to finish filling the net and end up with not much above the net.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I'm gonna agree with with you. Every time I run another round I change how I'm doing it a little. I let them grow a little taller before I tuck, I fill the net up more, and flip when it's full and 6" above. I rarely have to move my lights up. I keep finishing with about 12-14" above net. So the whole 2-3× stretch thing hasn't been a real issue either. Even with different strains. How your auto's doin?

15. Never ran a auto. That's why I want to be able to put a couple else where like I have.this really seems like a pain in the ass lol.

16. What do you average per light since you only have 2. I have a 10 x12 room with a 7x7 and 4 thousands. I really need to stary tweaking more faster. So this is not a pain in the ass.

17. with 8 plants and full nets I've been right around 3LB+/- per tent. I have 2 4x8 flowering tents 2000w each. 1 is about ready to chop, the second is only a week in.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ya I've spent most of my life around growers and have yet to see this crazy stretch people claim. I'm glad I don't.

• Like Like x 1