Post Spider Mites Soil

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Weedweasle, Nov 5, 2022.

1. Somehow my trick dwarf cherry tomato plant got spider mites (indoor notill in 7gal fab pots). Looks like my treatments sacked it, it hasn’t put on a flower for months and looks like shit. I have sprouted some new ones from it’s seed, so I’m starting afresh.

What do you do with the soil from that fabric pot to ensure mites don’t cross contaminate? I haven’t seen a mite for weeks (inspect five leaves a week with 30x pocket scope) and I continue to rotate a weekly control (spinosad, gin/ neem and soap, Mercenary essential oil). Don’t want mites to spread through the soil. Is there a “best practice” for such soil?

2. I havent tried it but i think diatomaceous earth on top of the Compost will kill them as they hatch and come to the surface .
    Spider mites lay their eggs in compost more over in soil
    Sticky traps work , i use Pyrethrin works up to the day before harvest , it doesn't leave a residue.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. #3 Weedweasle, Nov 5, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    Thanks @Headhunterpipes, DE sounds like a winner. I forgot I also use Pyrethrin spray in my IPM rotation!.
    I’m thinking then 1) quarantine the pot, 2) Pyrethrin bomb, 3) DE when dry, isolate for 21 days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. I need to use some soil that I stored outside. I placed it in a big mason pot, like the ones used to boil mason jars in, and I baked it for an hour.
    but I don't think your soil organisms will appreciate that.

I personally haven't had much luck using DE, but I usually am battling with thrips, not mites.

I also use pyrethrin but it comes from Safer's EndAll concentrate, which I also add neem to. Only spray when the lights go out and never during flower (or it will burn the pistils).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. just get rid of the whole thing and start fresh unless you are that broke then try de

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Buddy got the same last month ...whatever you do ...

"DO NOT BAKE THE SOIL IN THE OVEN"

unlike him the stink is truly unforgettable .....lol

IMO restart

cheers

• Like Like x 3
  7. I have no idea if I'm over reacting or not but I'm not reusing anything but the airpots. After a bleach water spray. Ditched fabric bags, scrog net. I wouldn't even think about reusing the soil. Never want those little bastards again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1